Thread: Epsom Salts in the Garden

Default Epsom Salts in the Garden

I've heard that when you plant seeds or seedlings, if you put Epsom salt into the hole it will actually make the plant grow taller and leafier. I bet this would be a great help for Alaskan's during our short growing season. Has anyone tried it? I will definitely be giving it a shot. I guess you can substitute it with sugar? Because epsom salts are illegal now, I suppose I'll be trying sugar. Sounds worthwhile. I'll pretty much try anything here!
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Tomatoes like Epsom salt put a table spoon in when transplanting them. You may be confusing bath salts (which is some new drug kids are using) with Epsom salts which can be bought in Walmart or drug stores. (unless it's some AK law ?)

Yep, DaleC has some good advice. Tomatoes start well with Epsom salt. Plus, you can still soak your feet in it legally!

Interior Alaska

The recommended ratio for epsom salts in a watering source at our home is 1 tsp. to a gallon of water. It's a fairly fast source of magnesium, and, if I recall correctly, carries some sulfur as well. But it's potentially caustic if used at, or accumulated at, high levels.

I believe it's also an acidifier to a degree, though I would hesitate to use enough of it to change a ph very much.

If you have magnesium deficiencies in your garden, a foliar spray of epsom salts in the ratio described above is a reasonable idea.

A less caustic source of at least 'some' magnesium, though weaker, and a bit slower to release, (as well as being accompanied by calcium), is dolomite lime. True dolomite lime (as opposed to quick lime, etc.), is a buffering agent, and, in sufficient amounts, will hold the ph close to neutral; a ph of '7.' Quick limes will take your ph notably higher than that. Not a good idea in most cases.

The sulfur component that's provided by the epsom salts (and many plants like a fair bit of sulfur) can also be added via aggricultural sulfur granuals or pellets. They're typically safer to use for acidifying an alkaline ph soil than epsom salts, as many garden plants can handle a fair bit more sulfur than epsom salts.