Thread: Stopping the bleeding

Default Stopping the bleeding

Does anyone know how to do stitches? I don't know how this would be explained over the forum, but I'm wondering about the basics. My dad cut himself hesterday and had to get himself sewn up. It kind of got me thinknig about what I would do if someones injury was bad enough to need sewing. I think I would just use gauze or bandages to stop the bleeding, but I'm wondering what other people have to say about this.

-Eric

Default Just my 2 Cents

Well,

Superglue works. A product called QuikClot will stop as well. Clean the wound, apply neosporin to help fight infection, then stitch him up. I go down about half way in the cut and close. I am no doctor or EMT. I have done this only once and until I could get them to a proper medical attention. I carry a standard issue surgical kit in my first aid kit. It has the proper stitching equipment. I have a brother who always seems to hurt himself on trips.
    Good Luck.

Ron

I second the quick clot! that stuff works really good....K

Default Suturing in the field is a BAD IDEA

Unless you can assure a sterile field and a sterile wound, closing the wound will only seal in infection!!!

Better to cleanse the wound - you do have cleansing supplies in your kit, don't you? - and then dress it with sterile bandage. Learn how to make butterfly bandages and use them to appose sides of an open wound instead of attempting to close it with sutures.

If the wound is serious enough for sutures it is serious enough for evacuation. Delayed closure of a wound may result in scar formation but it will not appreciably delay healing and it will go a long way toward prevention of infection. Besides, the girls like scars, don't they?

If you ever watch wound closure by a professional you will see the great care they take to ensure sterility. You simply cannot do that in the field without training and without a comprehensive medical kit.

I've had my share of first aid training and carry a fairly comprehensive first aid kit with me while in the outdoors. I think I'll stick with my first thought of closing the wound with gauze, or quckclot. Applying sutures doesn't seem to be the smartest thing to do(at least for me). Thanks for the input guys.

-Eric

I second DanC's advice: if a wound is bad enough to stitch up in the woods, it will probaby get infected if closed. If you're in a situation where medical help can be hours or a few days away, then stopping the bleeding and cleaning the wound as best you can is about all you can do; after that it's up to the professionals. If it's really deep, I've been told it's better to clean it and then keep it open by packing it with iodine-soaked gauze.

I've never used bloodclotting pads or sprays, but a Wilderness EMT I talked to reccomended maxi pads instead since they're cheaper. Just be sure the sticky side goes against the gauze wrap and not the wound.

In my limited training in treating wounds in the outdoors, I've found that it's hard to effectively clean them even if you have an irrigation syringe and serveral quarts of clean water, and I wouldn't want to seal any dirt into someone's wound by closing it off with stitches or butterflies. If you can find classes in your area, I recommend taking a wilderness first responder or wilderness advanced first aid course.

This spring I cut myself while cleaning a bear in the field. It was just a small cut so I applied antiseptic cream and then superglued it shut, let it dry, and finished cleaning the bear. It was easy to apply and worked well in this situation. Dried quick, and temporarily sealed up the wound. Luckily wasn't big enough to warrant stitches.