Thread: Hornaday SST .338 WinMag 225 grn.

Default Hornaday SST .338 WinMag 225 grn.

Has anyone done any hunting or substantial shooting with this bullet?

I'm especially interested in your experiences with this cartridge in hunting; bullet expansion, accuracy, etc.

I have a little bit of experience with it, and have noted what appears to be notably better accuracy than many of the lower-priced hunting bulets I've used in the past..

I don't have a chronograph available to me now, but Hornaday touts some fairly impressive speeds with less drop over distance.

The bullet looks somewhat like an old-style tracer round, with a plastic cap over the nose of the bullet.

Any info, experiences, etc., (but especially hunting experiences with big game and this bullet) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have used 140gr in my 270 for whitetail and had impressive results. My dad also uses these in 180gr for his 300 win mag with similar results. Never recovered a bullet yet great wound channel though. The 30-06 I have wont shoot nothing better than a 3" group at 100 yards with them but will shoot 180gr Winchester Super X just under MOA. I recommend getting a box and seeing how they perform out of your rifle. If they group I would choose them over any other cheap ammo.

Thanks.

I can get the Hornadays in question for about $10 less than the gray-box, low-end Federal cartridge in the same weight. As stated, the Hornadays group very nicely and appear to honor their claim re. less drop, although with limited experience this could simply be a subjective or variable issue; less wind, more calm and relaxed in shooting, number of cartridges fired through the rifle that day w/o cleaning, etc. But I was impressed with the limited experience.

If you happened to take note of it, in taking deer with this cartridge, in referencing the wound channel, did you note any contrast between the entrance wound and the exit wound? Did the shot involve clear bone contact, or just tissue?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Thanks.

I can get the Hornadays in question for about $10 less than the gray-box, low-end Federal cartridge in the same weight. As stated, the Hornadays group very nicely and appear to honor their claim re. less drop, although with limited experience this could simply be a subjective or variable issue; less wind, more calm and relaxed in shooting, number of cartridges fired through the rifle that day w/o cleaning, etc. But I was impressed with the limited experience.

If you happened to take note of it, in taking deer with this cartridge, in referencing the wound channel, did you note any contrast between the entrance wound and the exit wound? Did the shot involve clear bone contact, or just tissue?

Thanks again.
    I asked about the wound channel simply because, despite the apparent positive features of the cartridge, in looking at the bullet's design, it strikes me as one which would be limited in expansion. But I don't know enough yet to make that assertion.

The 270 produced about a 1" exit hole with no bone contact. My dad likes to shoot right on the shoulder with the 300 and makes massive wound channels with bone fragments. I think the SST is basically a hollow point with the polymer tip placed in it. Which makes it open faster than a normal hollow point.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    I asked about the wound channel simply because, despite the apparent positive features of the cartridge, in looking at the bullet's design, it strikes me as one which would be limited in expansion. But I don't know enough yet to make that assertion.
    I've not used the SST in question, but with various other calibers I can say that expansion with an SST is not a problem. Lack of expansion is not a worry with an SST.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've not used them myself but have witnessed up close and personal the results of 165's from a 300 Weatherby ... "my" opinion ? SST = Ballistic Tip
    If you expect it to hold together on impact use an Interbond

Thanks all for the feed-back.

A 1" exit wound tells me that in that specific instance (only striking tissue?) the expansion was excellent. If it's going to disintegrate on impact, and leave a trail of metal and copper littered among shattered bone, than that's not so desirable.

On the other hand, it may cause me to further my moth-balled reputation for lung shots..

But, all in all, it doesn't sound like my initial concern re. lack of expansion is an issue.

BTW, my po-dunk, customized-over-the-years, Winchester Mod. 70 XTR with baked enamel finish, machined muzzle-brake, and questionable crown inside the brake, with a decelerator pad, and a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40, w/ adjustable objective, which has often given me (and it may -be- me) questionable consistency with the aforementioned Federal catridges, grouped at or less than 1" at 100' with the Hornadays... and I'm told that I have cataracts on both eyes (though I insist on waiting for further evidence.. such as the moose putting their 'thumbs' in their ears, mocking me, making faces, and wiggling their hooves like pretend antlers... ;^>) Thus far they're not yet doing that.)

But, as stated, it was more a question of the expansion potential of/for this cartridge, as I'm already impressed with the accuracy (at least in my firearm), and, despite not having a chronograph myself to test the claims, the manufacturer -claims- a fair bit faster velocity with less drop than the Federal cartridge.

Again; thanks for all who replied!

Nosler Ballistic Tips usually shoot lights out accurate too, and "expand" to gold dust if they even come close to a bone, at least at magnum speeds - in standards I think they might work better - There's a double standard when debating "effectiveness" of a bullet on game - If you are examining a bullet taken from a dead animal it seems a mute point unless you lost an appreciable amount of meat to over expansion - where you hit 'em counts for points in the debate as well, I've killed 3 elk with 150 ballistic tips from a 7mm Rem Mag with virtually no meat loss ... "cause I took out the spine behind the shoulder ..... different discussion then (not to mention pretty darn lucky) .... there are so many variables involved in a bullet killing a big game animal and leaving a preconceived example of expanded projectile for perusal, "IF" I've got an animal to put my tag on and it died quick and sure then I won't spend much time lookin' for any bullet - shooting bullets into milkjugs full of water or last week's sunday paper seems to me to be a good past time when there's nothing constructive to be done ....

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Nosler Ballistic Tips usually shoot lights out accurate too, and "expand" to gold dust if they even come close to a bone, at least at magnum speeds - in standards I think they might work better - There's a double standard when debating "effectiveness" of a bullet on game - If you are examining a bullet taken from a dead animal it seems a mute point unless you lost an appreciable amount of meat to over expansion - where you hit 'em counts for points in the debate as well, I've killed 3 elk with 150 ballistic tips from a 7mm Rem Mag with virtually no meat loss ... "cause I took out the spine behind the shoulder ..... different discussion then (not to mention pretty darn lucky) .... there are so many variables involved in a bullet killing a big game animal and leaving a preconceived example of expanded projectile for perusal, "IF" I've got an animal to put my tag on and it died quick and sure then I won't spend much time lookin' for any bullet - shooting bullets into milkjugs full of water or last week's sunday paper seems to me to be a good past time when there's nothing constructive to be done ....
    That's why I wanted to know of specific hunting experiences, with a reasonable exit wound to verify the expansion capacity/performance.

No idea what these do in a bone-contact strike, in this calibre and weight. but a 1" exit wound in tissue from a .270 is impressive.

Hopefully it doesn't totally disintegrtate on bone contact, as the others you've referenced reportedly do.

I've had fortunate shots that removed spine with the older Federal cartridges; probably why I removed spinal column, rather than hitting vital mass behind the front shoulder where I'd been aiming.

But 1"+ on a .338 WM through the lungs, even with minor rib contact, is good by me. Granted, there's not enough reports to assume any consistency by this thread alone. And trying to recreate/fabricate something in the way of a test target to use at specific distances that matches the same resistance as moose hyde and tissue is unlikely to be precise or identical as well.

300 Win Mag and 180's, but my son-in-law has been shooting nothing else since the bullet first appeared. Lotta different game in a lotta different situations, and he's never complained. Instead he's stockpiled a bunch in case they're ever discontinued. I don't know all the details of his shots, but his reaction is good enough for me.

whatever you decide ruffle, it's your hunt .... What I, at least, am trying to say is that these bullets are "bombs" if they hit bone so "if" you are convinced that your chosen bullet will not contact any bone on terminal contact then you're "good" - I, on the other hand, have chosen Nosler Accubonds for my all around bullet, 165's in my new '06, not a homogenous pill whatsoever but an "engineered" bullet that, contrary to popular belief, acts pretty darn consistently on what ever they hit - I doubt anything will "walk" away from an SST hit but the carnage might be something to record for posterity when shot from the great 338 win mag, then again "heavy" for caliber bullets do have somewhat of a tendency to hold together "better" IME - another story, (ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz...) I shot an "average" size mulie at 250 yds with an "easy" load from a 300 win mag launching a 180 Ballistic Silvertip at around 3100, deer was bedded, hit him in the neck, DRT (as one would expect) when I rolled him over it was "gold dust" all over the ground (fortunate to have been aiming for the neck I guess), a surprise as I had been planning on using that load for elk that fall .... NADA - I suppose attempting to make a "plan" for every instance is futile though - HUNT ON ...

I shoot this exact bullet from my 338 and I've experienced great accuracy on paper with the "bomb on bone" hunting experience previously mentioned. Over a dose of H4831, seated to the cannelure, I can consistently shoot cloverleaf 3 shot groups at 100 yards from a stock (read crummy trigger) Ruger. I've used this bullet/rifle/powder combination to take a few caribou and it killed them all pretty dead. I took a cow caribou this fall that I hit squarely in the front quarter. Pretty devestating impact and loss of meat but no exit wound. Oddly enough and despite a bunch of digging around I couldnt recover a slug (we packed it back to camp before I tried to looking, it might have fallen out?). All in all, from my experience, I wouldnt hesitate to take thin skinned game with this bullet because I'm confident in how I shoot this combo and where I can place the bullet. That said, If I was going after something dangerous, I think I would opt for a heavier (250 gr), more premium (acubond, partition) slug. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    300 Win Mag and 180's, but my son-in-law has been shooting nothing else since the bullet first appeared. Lotta different game in a lotta different situations, and he's never complained. Instead he's stockpiled a bunch in case they're ever discontinued. I don't know all the details of his shots, but his reaction is good enough for me.
    Thanks much. My limited experience leaves me liking the bullet thus far, but also wanted to know it's capacity.

The comment by others re. disintegration with bone contact makes me lean toward steadying my own shooting ability in higher-stress moments, and probably needing to be even -more- conscientious than normal re. shot placement. But I can also readily see why your son likes these..... And $42.00/box of 20 ain't bad these days, either. ;^>)

Bullet fragments in a dinner guests' meat/meal, however, has always been an embarassing moment as well.

whatever you decide ruffle, it's your hunt .... What I, at least, am trying to say is that these bullets are "bombs" if they hit bone so "if" you are convinced that your chosen bullet will not contact any bone on terminal contact then you're "good" - I, on the other hand, have chosen Nosler Accubonds for my all around bullet, 165's in my new '06, not a homogenous pill whatsoever but an "engineered" bullet that, contrary to popular belief, acts pretty darn consistently on what ever they hit - I doubt anything will "walk" away from an SST hit but the carnage might be something to record for posterity when shot from the great 338 win mag, then again "heavy" for caliber bullets do have somewhat of a tendency to hold together "better" IME - another story, (ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz...) I shot an "average" size mulie at 250 yds with an "easy" load from a 300 win mag launching a 180 Ballistic Silvertip at around 3100, deer was bedded, hit him in the neck, DRT (as one would expect) when I rolled him over it was "gold dust" all over the ground (fortunate to have been aiming for the neck I guess), a surprise as I had been planning on using that load for elk that fall .... NADA - I suppose attempting to make a "plan" for every instance is futile though - HUNT ON ...
    Thanks, back country. Not trying to be argumentative by any means.

These days, pre-loaded factory ammunition of decent quality and accuracy practically requires a co-signor. That was why these bullets initially caught my attention. And the added ft/sec. claims, and (somewhat) proven accuracy had me sold.

But, as I stated earlier, dinner guest with bits of jagged copper trapped between their teeth is a whole lot like finding stuff in one's soup that flat-out doesn't belong there. Always an embarassing scene filled with way too much hunmility....

I'll take a peek at the bulllets you've referenced, but though I've gathered lots of reloading stuff, I haven't yet begun loading, still need to build my heavy wooden bench in the basement, and the price on 'premium bullets' these days makes me cringe more than a liitle bit every Fall when I go to sight in the rifle, knowing that what ever I sight it in with is what I'm hunting with.

Thanks and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    I shoot this exact bullet from my 338 and I've experienced great accuracy on paper with the "bomb on bone" hunting experience previously mentioned. Over a dose of H4831, seated to the cannelure, I can consistently shoot cloverleaf 3 shot groups at 100 yards from a stock (read crummy trigger) Ruger. I've used this bullet/rifle/powder combination to take a few caribou and it killed them all pretty dead. I took a cow caribou this fall that I hit squarely in the front quarter. Pretty devestating impact and loss of meat but no exit wound. Oddly enough and despite a bunch of digging around I couldnt recover a slug (we packed it back to camp before I tried to looking, it might have fallen out?). All in all, from my experience, I wouldnt hesitate to take thin skinned game with this bullet because I'm confident in how I shoot this combo and where I can place the bullet. That said, If I was going after something dangerous, I think I would opt for a heavier (250 gr), more premium (acubond, partition) slug. Just my .02
    Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like I need to find something in a factory load (for now) that groups like the SSTs, travels like the SSTs, costs like the SSTs, but holds together a lot better in impact. With about 11-1/2 months to find it.

Thanks for your input.

I'll be looking

ruffle - check the Nosler 2nds webpage (2nds specifically) as they sell their loaded ammo on the cheap too - premium stuff, cheaper than the W/W black box at retail I believe - "better" bullets are always gonna cost more, no way around it unless you find a deal somewhere, which is always a possibility - Nosler Partitions have gotten ridiculous, Accubonds show up on the 2nds page often and at a pretty good discount - for standard cartridges Remington Corelokts have established a solid following it seems, Federal now has the "full curl" line that may be less expensive - do you have a buddy that handloads and can help ya get started, there's a learning curve, of sorts, with some tricks that help alot

ruffle - check the Nosler 2nds webpage (2nds specifically) as they sell their loaded ammo on the cheap too - premium stuff, cheaper than the W/W black box at retail I believe - "better" bullets are always gonna cost more, no way around it unless you find a deal somewhere, which is always a possibility - Nosler Partitions have gotten ridiculous, Accubonds show up on the 2nds page often and at a pretty good discount - for standard cartridges Remington Corelokts have established a solid following it seems, Federal now has the "full curl" line that may be less expensive - do you have a buddy that handloads and can help ya get started, there's a learning curve, of sorts, with some tricks that help alot
    I'm going to assume that by '2nds', you're referring to bullets with minor imperfections/blemishes, or am I not reading that correctly?

If it's factory-direct deals, therein lies a common problem with living in Alaska and purchasing/shipping ammunition.

When I lived in Valdez, if you were cautious with whom you dealt with (not all barge companies, freight consolidators, etc. are equal), the various ammunition dsitributors would ship via ground freight to the barges near Seattle, and I could have case-lots of bullets sent up. When we were shooting lots of Class III stuff back in the old days, this made shooting affordable. That, and a decent income. Splitting larger orders with others sometimes made it even more reasonable.

Even then, if a person was on their toes, they needed to get the barge quote in writing so that two or more different methods of assessing fees weren't levied as alternatives to the original method of assessing fees between the time of the original order, and the receipt of said freight at the dock.

There's a possibility that I could have a friend in Valdez collect a 'small' load of ammunition there for me, and hold it until we saw each other next time around, though with his sporadic schedule, and my timed visits to that neck-o-the-woods, I might not collect the ammunition from him until next halibut fishing trip, next summer. Late is better than never, and between July and September I'd have plenty of time to acquaint myself with a new cartridge.

Re. loading/reloading, I have a variety of good books, and, in the past, I received offers of help from persons who reload like most of us breathe.

The person who gifted me the majority of my reloading gear is also available for information via a celll phone call, but he lives in the bush. He also never did the amount amount of reloading that some others have done; thus I now have his gear.

My intention is that after I get the 1,001 tasks that've cluttered my schedule for way too long now, completed sufficiently to claim to have made head-way to some notable degree, to finish a HEAVY-DUTY bench for a specific fit in a spot in the basement, with room on a lower shelf for powders, tools, etc., and sufficient space on the top for three or four reloading stations so I don't have to change out plates so often for the 3-4 primary calibres that would be apt to be in production, then make the sheepish call to the fellow who offered to help me over two years ago, and tell him I'm finally ready to accept his generous offer of help. He reloads enough ammunition, often enough, to fairly confidently refer to it as an obsession. Hopefully his offer's still good by that time. ;^>)