Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds in the Russian?

Default Reds in the Russian?

Just finished reading a couple of reports over at the Alaska Outdoor Journal site and it seems that they are catching Reds in the Russian. Anybody been there since the opening? I'm gonna check the regs and maybe head down there tomorrow. Probably should get a license also. )

Oh yeah, what's this junior member stuff? I'm waaay too old to be a junior anything.

My friend is down there now and called me to let me know that the fish are in. He did say the experince people fishing the russian are limiting out and the novice are having a hard time catching reds. Also the Water is high.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray
    My friend is down there now and called me to let me know that the fish are in. He did say the experince people fishing the russian are limiting out and the novice are having a hard time catching reds. Also the Water is high.
    Sounds good. I've been fishing in Alaska for 10 years so I just barely qualify as "experienced". (grin)

Default Water level.

Hope they leave a few, if the water is high now, should be real high with all the rain that is projected. Will be there Weds and Thurs, with the boy.

I'm heading down tonight. Counting down the hours!!!!!

Suicude run Alaska Gray?? I'm thinking about that myself!

Lemme know how it goes guys...I'm heading outta here 0400 tomorrow to try my luck up near the falls....

Hippie how have you been? I have not shot my target bow since returning from Iraq. I ready to get back into it this fall.
    Maybe I will run into down there. I'm hoping to get Grayling parking space.

Been good Gray. Glad yer back in one piece. Yeah if I can't get Grayling I usually park where they have room and walk the road TO grayling and fish up from there.

Wonder how the bear scene is down there? Got a lil' uncomfortable last year a few times with tourists/cheechako's trying for that "up close" pic of feeding brownies...At one stage Mom bluff charged, and (I kid you not) at least 8 people turned and with kids screaming full voice, RAN away from her....

...Was wondering who I would shoot if the mauling began...the bear or the idjits...glad the bear had more sense then the sheeple...and returned to her meal...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    Lemme know how it goes guys...I'm heading outta here 0400 tomorrow to try my luck up near the falls....
    I'm leaving here tomorrow at 0700, see ya there.

I'll look for ya..

I'll be the one with the G-Loomis 8wt....multi patched breathable waders...black lab on a leash and .44

good luck.

8wt live dangerous go with a 6wy. I will be there with a 6wt. lamiglass. and with my 44mag.

the 6wt will be on the back pack for trout...The 8wt is for the "combat zone" fishing reds.... Tried the 6wt last year at the confluence...some folks just DON'T appreciate a well played fish on a 6lb tippet...

Talking membership status

Oh yeah, what's this junior member stuff? I'm waaay too old to be a junior anything.[/QUOTE]

If you have x amounts of post's you're only a junior member, until you have posted over 30 times, then you earn your merit badge "Member" on this new forum, it doesn't go back & retrofit your old posts from the old forum, so everone starts off a new...100+ posts, & you earn the rank of Sargent Major of Forums here...or Senior Memeber...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    I'll look for ya..

I'll be the one with the G-Loomis 8wt....multi patched breathable waders...black lab on a leash and .44

good luck.
    I'll be the handsome old guy with gray hair. At least that's what my wife says and who am I to argue? Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to fish with my spin rod and probably russian river flys this time. My fly rod is in the shop.

Oh yeah, I'll have a .44 also. Gonna be a lot of firepower down there tomorrow.

Watch out Reds!!! My Bags are packed and I'm out the door

Smile Millard limited out

My top fisherman in my campground in Sterling limited out again today. He said it was not a killing field yet,and had to work for his limit.
    My smoker will be fired up tomorrow, and We will see if this seasons Reds are as good as last years....
    Millard had a Heart Attack two years ago on the Kasilof during the King run, and is taking it easy..( so he says ) If you run onto Millard on the Russian this summer, tell him to Slow down alittle.. We don't want to loose him for good...
    Max

Default Russian report: fish, people, and bears

Had a good couple of mini trips on the russian for the opening and also early this morning. We fished the dark hours this morning and it was not worth the time or risk. The fish really spread out during the cover of night and it is more difficult to find pods of reds.

As for bears, our group saw the injured young bear and heard of another large brown working both sides of the stream.

As for fishing, we had 5 rookies with us and 4 of them caught at least 1 fish. It is decent but will require some effort and walking.

As for water...it is high. It is much swifter than normal and more tricky to spot fish. Landing fish was still fine but I did lose 2 due to long stretches of swift water.

Wink playiing fish at the russian

Most people go to the Russian river to catch fish and dispatch them as quickly as possible. Not to go and watch a guy with a 6wt play a fish for a half an hour while they pull their lines waiting around. If you have been around a while, you may have seen a guy or two take a knife to someones line that wants to make the stretch of river about him and his super bendable (5 or 6 wt) Sage rod. Terminal tackle (size 8 or bigger rod ) IMHO is the choice of the ethical person that values others fishing time on the river. What is your opinion? Hook your fish and get him to the bank?, or take 20 minutes of everyones time so they can watch the master in action? Someone may be selfish...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe
    Most people go to the Russian river to catch fish and dispatch them as quickly as possible. Not to go and watch a guy with a 6wt play a fish for a half an hour while they pull their lines waiting around. If you have been around a while, you may have seen a guy or two take a knife to someones line that wants to make the stretch of river about him and his super bendable (5 or 6 wt) Sage rod. Terminal tackle (size 8 or bigger rod ) IMHO is the choice of the ethical person that values others fishing time on the river. What is your opinion? Hook your fish and get him to the bank?, or take 20 minutes of everyones time so they can watch the master in action? Someone may be selfish...
    Au contraire..Many of us go to the Russian to hook and play a fish on a beautiful river, not just "grip it and rip it" while watching the clock...

As I stated above, I TRIED the 6 wt last year and quickly switched BACK to the 8wt out of courtesy. However, if you care to debate the "ethics" of it, I'd prefer waiting for a guy with a 6wt to play a fish the right way as opposed to standing next to a guy with an ugly stick loaded with braided dacron who's ripping fish out of the hole. To each their own. I've BEEN the guy taking a knife to people's lines..as I am calling out "fish on" and "coming down" and people continue to opt for selective hearing and remain conciously oblivious to my attempts to move past them and let them enjoy their "experience".
    Not that it matters, but I have "been around" for awhile and can remember fishing the Russian back when Sportsmans was an actual tackleshop/burger joint and not just a place to launch your boat, and their was no "reservation" policy at the campground that favors tourists with no set schedule over locals looking for a place to camp as opposed to pounding coffee while trying to stay awake on the drive home. Back in the days when "Fish ON!" was greeted with woops and hollers of encouragement, followed by people backing out of the way...as opposed to the current "river rage" techniques that have become the accepted norm.

Having grown up here and fished the Russian/Upper Kenai since I was a kid, I've watched the "out of the way jerk" and "Why are you letting that fish run DOWN river" mind set slowly erode what once was an ALASKAN community of sportsman. Now days I spend more time dodging tourists in rented waders and rented rods HOPING to spot a local who still practices the old school ways of river etiquette.

Selfish? If thats your take on it, fine. I prefer to look at it as carrying on a tradition on that river that is dying off in favor of "Get em quick and get on to the next point on the itenerary"...

Guess maybe Alaska Gray had it right. The 8wt can stay home, time to string on some light tippet and go be "selfish" on a river that I grew up on....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast