Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Wasilla from Albuquerque NM

Default Moving to Wasilla from Albuquerque NM

My family and I are moving to Wasilla from Albuquerque NM in the spring for at least a couple of years. Here in NM I can hunt big elk, mule deer, and I have gone to Texas to hunt big feral hog with dogs and a big knife. For the elk and deer I use a 30-06 and figure that will do just fine in Alaska. I am looking for any other tips and advice any natives might have for me. Should I carry a side arm? If so in what caliber? What type of hunting gear do I need for Moose and Caribou hunts? I really have no urge to go on a brown bear hunt but if I come across one in a foul mood, besides my hunting rifle and a prayer what might improve my chances of telling the story? I'm really looking forward to hunting new a new type of terrain and harvesting meat that I have never tried. Really want to try some New Mexico and Mexican style recipes on Moose and Caribou. Well any wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My son, who was born in AK, moved to Albuquerque. He hunts both places, in NM on his own, and in AK with his sister and me. I often hunt moose with a 300 Win, but my daughter and son-in-law have taken a few moose with a 270. I have taken one with that caliber also. The 30-06 will perform better than the 270 and will handle all AK game. If I was after brown/grizzly bears I would opt for more, otherwise you will be fine.

Bring me a 48 qt cooler full of roasted green chili and I'll tell you everything you want to know. (my wife's from Alamogordo)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

A couple of things to remember. You are not going to have the access and the amount of game you are use to. Despite what some people in the lower 48 think, there are not moose and caribou behind every tree. There are a couple caribouo draw hunts closer to Wasilla/Anchorage but neither is easy. Otherwise you have to head north or west. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good hunting but it takes more time and effort to get there than you may be used to. About weapons, your 30.06 if a great caliber and you really do not need more. Handguns, I have never carried one while hunting but I know people that do. Most carry at least a .44 mag. I figure if I can't kill it with the rifle I'm carrying, then I'm SOL anyway. Two other items, 1) before you go out make sure you really understand the regulations for the area you are going to hunt. Alaska is divided into 26 major game management units and those are further sub-divided. Rules can and often are different between even the subareas. 2) Make sure you wait the entire 365 days after you get here to buy a resident license. The trooper reports are full of citations for buying a hunting and/or fishing license when people do not have the required residency in the state. Good luck in your move.

Looks like the rifle question has been answered and answered well for a change! Thanks Bill S!

I would start out using whatever hunting gear you use down there for elk and deer for moose and caribou up here. It will more than likely be the same or a bit of the same and some new stuff. Our trips usually involve some form of water so good rain gear and waterproof boots are a must on every hunt in Alaska. Lots of guys use merino wool or synthetics for insulation layers.

Optics are pretty important in some hunting areas due to the distances you can glass. Other areas are tighter quarters so you can get away with just binos but it never hurts to have binos and a spotter.

The main thing to remember about moving to Wasyphilis is to buy a bunch of locks; for the house, shed, anything laying around outside, etc. Maybe a security service as well.
    Game regs are complicated, probably more than tax regs. If you lower your expectations and be realistic you will do fine.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    A couple of things to remember. You are not going to have the access and the amount of game you are use to. Despite what some people in the lower 48 think, there are not moose and caribou behind every tree. There are a couple caribouo draw hunts closer to Wasilla/Anchorage but neither is easy. Otherwise you have to head north or west. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good hunting but it takes more time and effort to get there than you may be used to. About weapons, your 30.06 if a great caliber and you really do not need more. Handguns, I have never carried one while hunting but I know people that do. Most carry at least a .44 mag. I figure if I can't kill it with the rifle I'm carrying, then I'm SOL anyway. Two other items, 1) before you go out make sure you really understand the regulations for the area you are going to hunt. Alaska is divided into 26 major game management units and those are further sub-divided. Rules can and often are different between even the subareas. 2) Make sure you wait the entire 365 days after you get here to buy a resident license. The trooper reports are full of citations for buying a hunting and/or fishing license when people do not have the required residency in the state. Good luck in your move.
    That that pretty well sums things up the firearm and hunting situation. And like broncoformudv says:

-good raingear
    -good insulation
    -good optics

That's the important stuff.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    That that pretty well sums things up the firearm and hunting situation. And like broncoformudv says:

-good raingear
    -good insulation
    -good optics

Yk
    +1 to all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    The main thing to remember about moving to Wasyphilis is to buy a bunch of locks; for the house, shed, anything laying around outside, etc. Maybe a security service as well.
    Game regs are complicated, probably more than tax regs. If you lower your expectations and be realistic you will do fine.
    Coming from the guy living in Los Anchorage

Should just sum it up to "if you move to Alaska, thieves will try and steal your **** and the troopers or apd aren't going to do a thing about it"

This whole area's gotten bad recently on the theft

And dont park like those turds do in Santa Fe jesus worse drivers I have ever ran into and with a real ****ty attitude as well! As far a your guns one pistol shoot I pack two 460 smith and wessons Poncho Villa style cross draw holsters and enough bullets to get you out of Fallugah (sp) on a bad day. Rilfe only one choice cause the moose wear armor that would be a 458 Lott with staggering between 510gr Solid 500gr Soft point and 510 Solid. You will have a fighting chance then.

Quote Originally Posted by greenspeed View Post
    Coming from the guy living in Los Anchorage

Should just sum it up to "if you move to Alaska, thieves will try and steal your **** and the troopers or apd aren't going to do a thing about it"

This whole area's gotten bad recently on the theft
    Yeah he is pissed he cant ride his 4 wheeler anywhere they cant shoot fireworks what else oh they live in ****hole Anchorage that says it all... You can keep Anchorage and all its degenerates!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Yeah he is pissed he cant ride his 4 wheeler anywhere they cant shoot fireworks what else oh they live in ****hole Anchorage that says it all... You can keep Anchorage and all its degenerates!
    Hunt moose in their front yard

Hey! 323, Now yer talkin' bout my family. I thought degenerates was a good term. I lives in south Los Anchorage down by the bluff next to the rich folks. Just had to get a redneck waiver, where you promise to leave yore indoor furniture inside, and no cars on blocks outside. Had to hide the chicken house.
    Don't none of yall' inbreeds from the valley come down tryin' to steal my chickens.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Really? Lived there since '91 and in the same house since '93. Keep my toys in the driveway or neatly parked in the side yard. Leave my door unlocked and my garage door open all the time. Never been robbed and neither have any of my immediate neighbors. How many ATVs/snowmachines get stolen in Mat-Su every year? 30? 40?

Yeah, you can ride your machine right from your yard...assuming it's still there in the morning.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Really? Lived there since '91 and in the same house since '93. Keep my toys in the driveway or neatly parked in the side yard. Leave my door unlocked and my garage door open all the time. Never been robbed and neither have any of my immediate neighbors. How many ATVs/snowmachines get stolen in Mat-Su every year? 30? 40?

Yeah, you can ride your machine right from your yard...assuming it's still there in the morning.

Now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post

-good raingear
    -good insulation
    -good optics

Yk
    I would add a good tent and good boots to that list. With those things, you'll be solid to get started. Water and cold kills in Alaska, and if you're wet, cold, or have feet that can't keep going, there's no point in worrying about the hunting. Spend some time perusing the gear forum - there's some gold in there.

A bit of Forum advice, dont listen to anything 323 has to say. Hes from Multnomah County, OR and his kind arent to be trusted!!
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm from NM and have lived in AK since 1991. There's crime up here, gangs, etc, BUT nothing like that in Albuquerque. As for hunting, throw out the solo techniques you may have learned in NM. Simply put, a cautious hunter in this country will no longer hunt the fringe, by themselves, and act like the top of the food chain. Personally, I think you need to carry POWER anytime you're in brown bear country and not doing so is risky business. I worked for NM Game and Fish and have now worked for AK Dept of Fish and Game for 20 yrs. The point being, I've spent a lot of time in the woods in both areas. Also, access and timing are everything in Alaska. If you can't afford to get to the game, the stuff you read about in the magazines is hard to find. And if you don't go at the right time, it's like night and day ... you can have animals/fish everywhere one day and a biological desert the next. Good luck and glad to see another NM venturing to the other end of the spectrum.

For the most part, the gear you have collected to hunt in NM will do just fine in AK.
    the 30-06 is a great moose and Caribou rifle. However, there are 3 things you'll need in AK, that you may not need anywhere else.
    1. Good Rain Gear
    2. Good Rain Gear
    and 3. Good Rain Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    For the most part, the gear you have collected to hunt in NM will do just fine in AK.
    the 30-06 is a great moose and Caribou rifle. However, there are 3 things you'll need in AK, that you may not need anywhere else.
    1. Good Rain Gear
    2. Good Rain Gear
    and 3. Good Rain Gear.
    In regards to good rain gear, exactly what Old John said. Oh, except for the month of August, it never rains in Alaska in August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast