Thread: Eagle River kayaker owes Fire Department some steak dinners...

Default Eagle River kayaker owes Fire Department some steak dinners...

Ooohhhoooo! Steaks for sure. Man was he lucky!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I mentioned this one to a couple of guys at work last week, both of which are kayakers. They couldn't understand what happened. Was the kayaker with a group, or solo? They also said that eagle river should be easier to run at higher water.

Not trying to be an armchair critic, I just want to learn. Anyone have any more details on this one?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Those really are a great set of photos. I wonder if after they cut the tree what they would have done next if they had not been able to lift and move the tree. That guy was stuck bad, glad it worked out for everyone.

Default Rossberg

The guy that was trapped is Mr. Rossberg, head of BP Alaska's drilling and wells dept.
    He was a former Army ranger and attributes the physical condition and training to keeping himself alive. Said he was trapped for 1 hr and 15 mins before help arrived. Had a whistle on his lifejacket that he kept blowing and finally attracted attention to himself.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    The guy that was trapped is Mr. Rossberg, head of BP Alaska's drilling and wells dept.
    He was a former Army ranger and attributes the physical condition and training to keeping himself alive. Said he was trapped for 1 hr and 15 mins before help arrived. Had a whistle on his lifejacket that he kept blowing and finally attracted attention to himself.
    BK
    Thats amazing, I should start carrying a whistle. great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Thats amazing, I should start carrying a whistle. great story.
    Better idea: don't paddle alone. I would never count on there being enough people within earshot in AK to hear my whistle (standard equipment on my PFD) over the sound of rapids.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

A guy at work mentioned he heard the gentleman paddles the river a lot, often with his wife walking the bank along side him.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Default Kayak pin

This probably happened from a log ,that was right under the surface of the water, which went over the bow and ridged cockpit, and this prevents the kayaker from pulling the skirt and escaping, this is how Walt Blackadar died. This is a great example of a pin that would not be that dangerous in an IK or in a packraft, truly a hardshell kayakers nightmare.

I had a friend pinned on the log, in a hardshell, in the Little Su for a couple of minutes and luckily his head was above water, he jiggled his boat off the log. Another friend of mine pinned under the same log, on a different trip, in an IK, and just had to work his boat out. Both guys were unapproachable and would have died if the pins were different.

If I even see a branch sticking out I am pretty cautious.

BTW; most streams in the valley have had their rapids redone, watch for new sweepers and other surprises. Expect lots of new wood. I have awesome footage of Willow upper canyon at 7500cfs, Little Su at 5,000cfs and Moose at 630cfs, I will post a tube soon, truly devestating whitewater.

Wow! Those are some serious flows, Mark. Close to 10x normal. I like to LOOK at rivers doing that but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    A guy at work mentioned he heard the gentleman paddles the river a lot, often with his wife walking the bank along side him.
    Even if she's swiftwater rescue trained, and wearing a drysuit, PFD, and helmet, there's no way she's going to be able to rescue her hubby from the kind of pin he experienced without 1) a boat, and 2) other people or some sort of mechanical advantage. It only takes 3-4 minutes to drown, so calling 911 only works if the victim's head is above water and he or she is conscious, which was the case here, fortunately.

Rule of thumb: if you're boating somewhere helmet-worthy, don't boat alone. And scout Southcentral rivers extensively now and next spring as winds and floods have moved earth, rock and big wood, altering rapids.

His wife does not follow him on the bank as he kayaks, (he's divorced, no wife....)
    He decided to duck under the log as his best option and on his powerstroke to get under, the paddle hit the log over his head and it kicked the kayak sideways which then pinned him as you see in the pics.
    BK

Default Thanks for clarifying

Thanks for telling the story bkmail, glad it worked out.