Thread: Anyone put a motor on a round boat? Got a 10' Sotar from Goo Vogt in ANC... (pics)

Default Anyone put a motor on a round boat? Got a 10' Sotar from Goo Vogt in ANC... (pics)

Bought a 14.5' Sotar bucket from Goo a few years ago. Love the boat, 93 lbs, perfect for remote fly ins. Just bought a 10 foot Sotar that is similar, but has a self bailing floor. Mind is spinning a bit about possible trips. The boat has some sort of flap on the underside, as I recall it will be of benefit if I ever put a motor on the boat. Still need to talk more with Goo about the boat. Have not received it yet, he is shipping it to me. Planned on picking it up at his house in Anchorage, but my recent trip plans to AK got jacked up a bit.

Bought it namely for throwing in the back of a rental truck and fishing the Upper Kenai in the fall. Tired of renting trailers, trucks with hitches at double price, etc.. This 10 footer will be great. But now I am thinking about some other applications. Floating the canyon section below Jim's and going across Skilak. Maybe biting off more than I can chew, not sure. Just did 110 miles on a SW river and would have loved a motor on the last 30 miles when the headwind was blowing me upriver. Many uses for a small motor it seems.

But then there is the Kobuk and Alatna, rivers with lots of slow moving water along many of their miles. On a solo float trip, a ten footer with a small outboard could come in handy, allowing me to spend more time where I choose rather than making miles each day. Wife has bread in over and is due Oct 22. She usually goes on all float trips, but I see lots of diapers and juice boxes in her future. Would be great to have a good solo boat rigged up for 2-3 years until her and little me can join on floats.

Curious if anyone had any insights on mounting small outboards on round boats? If so, any motor and bracket suggestions?

Thanks for any thoughts.

-Dan

Boat specs...

Length: 10'
    Tube Diameter: 19"
    Chambers: 5
    Interior Width: 24"
    Exterior Width: 5'2"
    Drop: 12.5"
    Rake: 8"

Guess I should mention the type of frame I will be using. It is below, as shown on my 14.5' Sotar from the trip two weeks ago. The frame and Sawyer Pole Cats are modular as I have shorter front bar and seat bar to use with the 10 foot boat and have shorter middle sections of the 3 piece oars from Sawyer to use when using the 10 footer. The frame as seen below is how it will appear on the 10' Sotar.

Dan I think you will need to rethink your frame for the new 10 ft boat. Only way I can see a motor working. Looks like a great new raft. You are going to have lots of fun with that.

While not easy perhaps, I am going to end up with a stern motor mount that attaches to the tube, D-rings, etc.. and also incorporates an anchor mount so I can stop and fish at certain spots. Tired of floating over big bows in the braids. A motor mount with an anchor mount on top, that is the end goal. How to get there from here is the question.

Andrew, wife loved the ear rings and necklace I brought back. Thanks.

-Dan

Dan- Hope all is well-- Give Ed Coltharp a call . He has the same 10' raft as yours and is using a motor on his. Can't remember the exact motor mt. I had made for him, but he loves the raft and just bought a IK from me this year. Think he got the 10' one a couple of years ago and uses it a lot.
    Great guy and is also a P.A. so you are both in the same business. Sure he would not mind me giving you his # 907-250-7739.
    Give him my best-
    Goo

What in the world is that hat you put on my head !!im not that old and ugly!! Am i???

Ha ha.. I just wouldn't want to post pics of you on the internet for all to see.

Lots of perverts out there Goo

Thanks for the contact, just left Ed a voice mail.

-Dan

One "administrative" detail worth adding to your thoughts. Unless you want to carry a bigger, heavier outboard (complicating motor mounts, BTW) plus more fuel, you'll end up packing something smaller. On a different raft we added a 2.5hp Suzi for a float. Turned out to be a fortunate choice, because it has no reverse, rather you spin the motor to get it. We got into some heavy winds on flat water and had to try powering into them. The big sail area on the raft was impossible to push and control right into it with that little kicker. No prob. We spun the motor around backwards and made very good headway in "reverse," pulling the raft into the wind rather than trying to push. I since tried it with a 6hp and it just about tore the motor mount off the raft, and even with a reverse gear didn't work any better than the 2.5.

Hey Dan-- A thought I lost in my "OLD AGE" is back in 1985, when I was a bear guide I did have the same company build me a custom 10' non -bailing raft, with 16" tubes and 32 oz. fabric - we were doing all CUB flying. Any way was moving back and forth on Konokak lake with all of our gear, looking for this 28" bear, which finally worked out.
    Any way, I do a very comfortable camp. Bomb shelters and really good pre-cooked food that I make- froze and use for my ice. Filled her up way more than I thought would carry. used a 6 hp Yamaha, She moved slow, but fine. I also took the same raft down the class 4-5 Franklin river in Tasmania, Australia, and sold her to a local company while one the river!!
    Your new raft has 2x urethane coating and polyester static, base cloth that my old boat did not have, as well as bailing flotation. Would not worry about a stern mt. but you may want to look at a long shaft. Give me a call if I can help with your project.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Bought a 14.5' Sotar bucket from Goo a few years ago. Love the boat, 93 lbs, perfect for remote fly ins. Just bought a 10 foot Sotar that is similar, but has a self bailing floor. Mind is spinning a bit about possible trips. The boat has some sort of flap on the underside, as I recall it will be of benefit if I ever put a motor on the boat. Still need to talk more with Goo about the boat. Have not received it yet, he is shipping it to me. Planned on picking it up at his house in Anchorage, but my recent trip plans to AK got jacked up a bit.

Bought it namely for throwing in the back of a rental truck and fishing the Upper Kenai in the fall. Tired of renting trailers, trucks with hitches at double price, etc.. This 10 footer will be great. But now I am thinking about some other applications. Floating the canyon section below Jim's and going across Skilak. Maybe biting off more than I can chew, not sure. Just did 110 miles on a SW river and would have loved a motor on the last 30 miles when the headwind was blowing me upriver. Many uses for a small motor it seems.

But then there is the Kobuk and Alatna, rivers with lots of slow moving water along many of their miles. On a solo float trip, a ten footer with a small outboard could come in handy, allowing me to spend more time where I choose rather than making miles each day. Wife has bread in over and is due Oct 22. She usually goes on all float trips, but I see lots of diapers and juice boxes in her future. Would be great to have a good solo boat rigged up for 2-3 years until her and little me can join on floats.

My boy blowing off some steam after being on the water all day.

Dan,

First of all, congratulations on the kid. The little boat will definitely give you more freedom over the next couple years, and trust me you will need those days on the river. With that said, when the little one grows up, the 10' boat will give you a lot of family flexibility with your 14' boat.

You are not "biting off more than you can chew" in regards to the Kenai. Putting a little motor on it will not only allow you to rip across Skilak, you can also float the Middle Kenai and slowly eddy-hop back up the top section...putting you in monster trout land.

I like the flexibility of motoring down river through slow, sloughy stuff or powering out when the wind is hammering your face. Here is a motor mount from Clavey: http://shop.clavey.com/raft-motor-mount-p617.aspx

Have fun,
    Josh

Josh, Nice photo!! You are right-- they do grow up too fast!! enjoy their youth!!
    Dan, I can get you the number of the company that is building this motor mt. for CLAVEY, That I designed in 1978, or I may have a used one here I made. Just need to see if it fits your raft and send to you with your boat. Will get back with you on the size
    Goo-- with the big strange hat!!!!

Awesome stuff guys. Just the kind of info I needed, thanks for picture as well.

-Dan

Josh's raft is a 16' with 22" tubes. You will have no problem with your 19" tube 10' raft, especially with the grommet flap.
    Will check on the mounts I have tonight. They were built with a plate on top for a swivel seat, some were never used because the cost to fly the extra bag to Russia. One inch steel not the 3/4" that CLAVEY sells and I took the time to put extra bent bottoms on inside and outside of the mount.
    Goo

Sweet. Give me a call when you find time. We are off Wed and Thur.

Dan