Thread: Alexander Creek Float

Default Alexander Creek Float

I checked the archives and didn't see much on Alexander Creek Float. I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences about floating from Alexander Lake down to the mouth of Alexander Creek. How good is the fishing? Did you see bears? I am thinking about trying it around Memorial Day weekend, will that be late enough for decent pike/salmon fishing? I know it is a fly-in/out trip, and it should take about 4-5 days.

When ADFG made it illegal to fish Kings above Trail Creek they essentially killed float trips on Alexander Creek. Trail Creek is about 3/4 of the way down from the lake. Bears? Maybe, but at Memorial Day you'll usually find the creeks like Alexander high even though the big rivers are low. You won't find many sandbars or see much ground between the water and the woods. Pike? High and dirty water in the creeks will force you to look in side sloughs. Since kings will be showing up throughout the lower Su system you won't find many people that try to find pike at that time of year.

FYI, this is a 44 mile float. I'm kind of addicted to measuring rivers using the Google Earth measurement feature.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Alexander Creek

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think July would a better time to float Alexander Creek. I am just looking for a nice easy-going river that I can view some wildlife, catch some fish, and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    When ADFG made it illegal to fish Kings above Trail Creek they essentially killed float trips on Alexander Creek. Trail Creek is about 3/4 of the way down from the lake. Bears? Maybe, but at Memorial Day you'll usually find the creeks like Alexander high even though the big rivers are low. You won't find many sandbars or see much ground between the water and the woods. Pike? High and dirty water in the creeks will force you to look in side sloughs. Since kings will be showing up throughout the lower Su system you won't find many people that try to find pike at that time of year.

For pike and rainbows you'd have a better trip in July, but the bugs will be thick. You may see some bears looking for fish in mid July. Bait opens on July 15 for silvers....I think. You'll also catch kings upstream, but it's illegal to target them or to retain them.

Default Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    FYI, this is a 44 mile float. I'm kind of addicted to measuring rivers using the Google Earth measurement feature.
    Hi Rip-

I'm not so sure about the accuracy of the Google Earth tools. A while back I measured Alexander Creek a couple of different ways and came up with 35 miles from the lake to the Susitna River confluence.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Interesting, Mike. I used the Path measurement option on Google Earth and took time to follow the river very accurately. I made well over 250 points along the path. I'll have to compare the measuring functions there to some known distances. I actually came up with 43.65 miles from the lake to the big river.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Floating

I floated this several years ago in early July. Great trip! We did have 2-3 HP motors which helped on the slow sections. With this we did it in 4 1/2 days. Took our time and it was great. We did it whit our 4 year old son and my father. It was too early for silvers, but we happened to catch and release a couple of Kings by surprise! As to bears, we did not see any, BUT I swear every gravel bar we stopped at had tracks.

Default Alexander Creek Currents

Bit late on your conversation-I'll try anyway...Is it practical to motor a zodiac with a 5hp up Alexander Creek in August? Would the way to Deshka landing on the lower Susitna have currents slow enough for such a craft, or would a Lund with a larger motor be necessary?

I once had a 10' Zodiac that could get on step with a 6hp motor. Plenty fast enough for crossing the Big Su. But that was with one person and a fishing pole - no other gear.

I also launched put a 17' cat at Deshka Landing with 4 people and way to much gear. Powered it with a 30hp prop outboard, and couldn't get it over 8mph. We made Alexander Creek just fine, and powered up that, but there was no way to push it back up the Susitna in one day. (The Big Su must be running about 6mph at the lower end.) So we putted on out to the mouth and caught an incoming tide. Landed at Ship Creek in a few hours, but I don't think we needed the outboard at all for that.

Unless you are planning on running really, really light, or dropping out the bottom of the river, I would use more than 5hp for the Zodiac. But what you should do is load it up like you would for the trip and see how fast it will go. You will need at least 12mph, and that will still be a long push back up river.

You will also want to pack a spare prop. The Big Su is shallow in spots, and all the deep channels are not easy to see.

I don't know about Alexander creek but I tried to motor up the Susitna just above the Deshka in a 17' Alumaweld Stryker with 8 hp and just sat still in the current. Just wanted to try it to see what would happen if my jet gave it up. Never been in a zodiac but my guess is the 5 hp wouldn't move against that heavy Susitna current.

Default silvers

I was thinking that alexander was shut down for silvers now too?

i need to know how long do it take to run a 14 ft jonh boat 20 hp from the mouth to the lake or can it be done
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.