Thread: River Salmon fishing on the hook?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default River Salmon fishing on the hook?

I live near the Columbia river and we do a lot of fishing off anchor here. We fish spinners woblers and quickfish mostly this way. Are there rivers that are fished this way in Alaska? If so can you name a few. We use a anchoring system that you can drop off anchor to fight your fish. Hog lines are formed to do this. Some areas are pretty packed with 4 or 5 different hog lines.
    Mike

Default Salmon on the hook

We fish for silvers (coho) on the Kenai on anchor (and not) and then toss a bouy to fight the fish if necessary. I haven't seen a hog line on the kenai yet, but it is quite different from the Columbia. The closest thing to a hog line is backtrolling for kings (chinook), though none are on anchor.

I have used and seen most standard tackle techniques fishing for silvers while on anchor.

Anyone anchoring up during king season on the Kenai would be lucky if they ONLY got dirty looks and cusses thrown at them. More people can fish the "good spots" when all are drifting and backtrolling. I've fished in Oregon where hog lines are common and unless you are born with a spot you are pretty much SOL in accessing a lot of areas on the rivers.

There is a real mix of backtrolling, hog lines and drifting on the Nushagak outside of Dillingham but there's plenty of room for all. Dirty looks....sure, but there's something around 30 more miles of fishable water if they don't like it. But then again, I have been corked on a few favorite channels and was not overly impressed. Depends on how many boats are workin that area at that time of day.

I backtroll mostly but when I want to just have a brew and wait for the take, I'll anchor and run a diver with a spin and glo with a gob of roe on it in a likely dip in the channel and it works great. I find in less speedy waters it is easier to do and let's the diver's work better without cranking the rods down and havin issues with the anchor holding.

The whole susitna drainage utalizes the hog line. The back trollers always do better.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The whole susitna drainage utalizes the hog line. The back trollers always do better.
    Thats a new one to me, I guess I don't understand what you mean by hog line. Because whenever I've been king fishing on the talkeetna above CC or the deshka 5 miles or more from the mouth i see most people on the hook or just bank fishing off the back of the boat.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Hog line

A hog line is a line of boats anchored up across a section of river to form a line. It is thought to be better than all spread out because the fish swim into a wall of gear and it is not easy to swim around.
    Mike

I manufacture some anchor products for this type of fishing and I am looking for new markets this helps me know what areas to go to and try to set up dealers.
    Thanks for the info
    Mike

Only place I've seen the hoglines are at the mouth of the Deshka. It is for the most part slack water and not worthy of backtrolling. I have never fished the Columbia but from what I understand its a deep river. The Deshka hoglines are in about 10' of water. When its busy the boats are moored against one another with bumpers out. If the wind is blowing the wrong direction its a good idea to have 2 anchors.

Default I take it back

I had the wrong idea of what this was...never seen it on the Nush....heh heh, um...errrr