Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Older reloading equipment

  1. #1
    Member bgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    344

    Default Older reloading equipment

    I was given some older reloading equipment last weekend and was wondering if anyone here had ever used these presses, had components for them they might be willing to sell, or had any input on how they could be best put to use.

    The first is a like new but slightly rusty Lyman Tru-Line JR. I ended up with a set of 30-30 and 30-06 dies for it, and a powder thrower thats never been used. This little guy uses a .609 dia - 30 TPI die. Neck only for bottle neck cases.

    The second is what I believe to be a Hollywood Sr. Its well used, but isnt worn out from what I have seen so far. This press uses 7/8-14 dies, but has special shell holders.

    The lyman might be good for small pistol loading if I can get some 38 special/357 dies for it, and the Holywood looks pretty beefy, but I already have a Rock Chucker IV. It looks like you could load some pretty long cartridges with it though!


    I also ended up with a Ponsness-Warren Duomatic 375 and a MEC 600 Jr. for shotgun, but I still need to clean them up and take pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1145 (Small).jpg  
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  2. #2
    Member bgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    344

    Default

    ...and the Hollywood ->
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1137 (Small).jpg  
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  3. #3
    Member bgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    344

    Default

    I've been able to find some ponsness warren stuff for sale on ebay and other places online, but still have yet to find an actual company website or any history on the company.

    I am also still a bit confused about how to order dies for the lyman.

    anyone?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  4. #4
    Member Darreld Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arco, Idaho
    Posts
    782

    Default Don't know if this'll help...

    Lyman still catalogs dies for the 310 tool, though you'd have to contact them to see if they'll work. Otherwise, it's probably going to be Ebay and a lot of gun show trolling for the Lyman stuff.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/

  5. #5
    Member Darreld Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arco, Idaho
    Posts
    782

    Default More information from Lyman

    From Lyman Q&A page-
    DIE SETS

    Q: What dies do I need for the Tru-Line Jr press?

    A: We recommend the 310 dies, as these have the same thread. These will only neck-size, not full-length resize.

    Lyman still lists several die sets as available for the 310 tool.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    21

    Default Ponsness-Warren

    Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    I've been able to find some ponsness warren stuff for sale on ebay and other places online, but still have yet to find an actual company website or any history on the company.

    I am also still a bit confused about how to order dies for the lyman.

    anyone?
    Hello bgreen.... saw your Post as I've been scrolling down the threads today (day off from work- yippee!) and even though it has been sometime since you posted, I think I have an answer for you. The website for Ponsness-Warren ( they are in Idaho) is http://www.reloaders.com .

    I've always liked their style and also the C-H 444 press. They are "table-top" models versus the knee-knockers types like Rock Chucker and Lee Challengers, and Reddings and Lym
    an etc. I have not purchased any of their products ( income doesn't match wants - ) but they look like quality items... as does the Corbin Presses and the big one from C-H Tool and Die... which can also be used for swaging.

  7. #7
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    I was given some older reloading equipment last weekend and was wondering if anyone here had ever used these presses, had components for them they might be willing to sell, or had any input on how they could be best put to use.

    The first is a like new but slightly rusty Lyman Tru-Line JR. I ended up with a set of 30-30 and 30-06 dies for it, and a powder thrower thats never been used. This little guy uses a .609 dia - 30 TPI die. Neck only for bottle neck cases.

    The second is what I believe to be a Hollywood Sr. Its well used, but isnt worn out from what I have seen so far. This press uses 7/8-14 dies, but has special shell holders.

    The lyman might be good for small pistol loading if I can get some 38 special/357 dies for it, and the Holywood looks pretty beefy, but I already have a Rock Chucker IV. It looks like you could load some pretty long cartridges with it though!


    I also ended up with a Ponsness-Warren Duomatic 375 and a MEC 600 Jr. for shotgun, but I still need to clean them up and take pictures.
    most of that old stuff has a limited value (about 0), but if in good shape, will still build quality reloads. as an investment though......not so much.

    my .02

    happy trails.
    jh

  8. #8
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    JH (pinehavensredrocket) and I usually see pretty much eye to eye, but I got to disagree this time around...

    That Hollywood press is worth a substantial amount of cash. do a google search and check out the auction sites, I think you will be suprized how much they are bringing these days. of course if it was me, I would put it into service! the are exceedingly robust presses and the quality was quite good.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  9. #9

    Default

    The Hollywood can be adapted easily to use stand button type RCBS etc shell holders. I think Vega Tool works sells those...Hollywoods are neat old presses.

  10. #10
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    JH (pinehavensredrocket) and I usually see pretty much eye to eye, but I got to disagree this time around...

    That Hollywood press is worth a substantial amount of cash. do a google search and check out the auction sites, I think you will be suprized how much they are bringing these days. of course if it was me, I would put it into service! the are exceedingly robust presses and the quality was quite good.
    hi al; thanks for your kind words........i didn't mean my reply to sound unfriendly. most older loading presses take a hit on the resale market, dillon (for one) is an exception.

    jh

  11. #11
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    No biggie JH, I knew what you were getting at and totaly agree, with the exception of the Hollywood. Oh how I would love to get my hands on one of there huge old turret presses!

    I have run accross a couple dozen of the little Lyman's over the years and always passed on them due to the funky little dies... but for pistol stuff they might just be the ticket!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  12. #12

    Default

    ...and one can convert the Lyman to 7/8-14 dies

    ebay search for Lyman Turret or

    see http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-tru-line-J...3%3A1|294%3A50


    for example

  13. #13
    Member bgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    most of that old stuff has a limited value (about 0), but if in good shape, will still build quality reloads. as an investment though......not so much.

    my .02

    happy trails.
    jh
    I don't really care what they are worth, they were given to me by my Grandfather. The sentimental value is far greater than what anyone would ever offer me for them.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    bgreen:

    b historical.

    Get a 30-30 or even a 30-06, and load and shoot cast bullets.

    Check out the 310 Shop.

    http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

    http://www.thetombstonenews.com/defa...nenews&he=.com

    I love my Lyman 3 Tong 10 tools.
    Lyman usta stock those kinda dies for nearly every cartridge, but now only for a select few.
    They will refer you to a guy that they sold their OLD stock to, and he MIGHT have the Die Set or a particular DIE. Then again he might not.

    The 310 Shop dies are SPENDY, but they've got a huge selection.

    BTW, those small dies can be used in a press with the larger threads, if you have an adapter that Lyman sells.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •