Thread: Razor Clams

Default Razor Clams

Love Deep Fried Clams, But I Want To Try Them In Some Other Way, Maybe A Chowder. Any Sugestions?
    Grin:d

Steam them briefly in a pot with a little lemon, garlic, butter and white wine. Serve over noodles with some sprinklings of fresh herbs. Maybe a little hot pepper in there to spice up the sauce.

Also, you could find a seafood gumbo recipe on the net and add them to it. I grew up on Louisiana food, and maaaan is it good!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I saute them and add to a soup mix like Inn on the Creek Creamy Potato.
    Preferably saute in cast iron over an open fire, mmmm.

Default YEA

Try using them in an Alfredo Sauce over Pasta.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up

Fritters!
    Now what ?

One of our favorites. Olive Oil, pepper, fresh garlic (chopped fine), crushed red pepper, freshly chopped basil. Get oil very hot add all those ingediance, stirring till the garlic just starts to turn color, then add chopped up razors. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on your heat range, do not over cook clams) add all to a pot of pasta and toss.

They are good in a Alfredo sauce as mentioned.

Default Clams used in chowders. . .

I use razor clams exclusively in a chowder. Here's a good place to start:
    4# of fish: some halibut, some salmon, some whatever, plus a half-pint to a pint of drained, diced razor clams, reserve the clam juice—all told, the fish & clams should equal 4#.
    5 c water
    1 bay leaf
    4 c diced potatoes
    3 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1/2 c butter
    2 c coarsely chopped celery
    4 c sliced onions
    4 tbsp flour
    5 c milk
    1 c heavy cream or half and half
    1 c sour cream

Combine fish, water, and bay leaf; heat to simmering, uncovered until fish flakes easily; remove fish from stock; add potatoes & seasonings to stock; cover & cook until potatoes are tender; meanwhile melt butter in fry pan; add celery & onions, saute until tender, about 5 minutes; stir in flour, cook & stir over low heat for about 2 minutes; then stir into fish stock until thickened; remove bay leaf; scald milk in double boiler, remove from heat & stir in cream & heavy cream; combine milk mixture, veggies, & fish; heat to simmering, add diced clams, and simmer for 5 minutes more.

I usually halve or quarter the recipe. Use any kind or mixture of fish but make sure you add the appropriate amount of clams. Use the reserved clam juice as part of the water. The recipe is adapted from a recipe in Cooking Alaskan.

Add a few clams to any chowder. . . they add the finishing touch.

An uncle on my mom's side has always been rather demented, and quite eccentric. He's also done hard drugs for a good while. But I remember quite some time ago, we used to always buy big bags of oysters down in Texas. He would find the small ones connected to the big ones, shuck the small ones and then snort them raw. This is an option for a new way to eat clams, no?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey