Thread: Moose scent?

Default Moose scent?

Just returning from the field and am curious as to a few things I saw.

First, more than 50% of the camps we ran into out there were using some kind of moose scent/urine/lure. Hanging it from trees etc. is this legal???

Second we saw almost a 50:50 bull to cow ratio where we were. Anyone else notice something similar???

Third, we did not see a single calf with any of the cows we saw, I know they had a hard winter but not a single one.
    Is anyone seeing calves???

Moose scent lures are 100% legal as long as they're not made with deer or elk urine; page 18 in the regs "scent lures without deer or elk urine may be used for ungulates". Matter of fact I got a few cow estrus and dominate bull moose urine from Jess at Bait Em 907 in the meadows on our property. Going to check them out tomorrow to see if anything has payed them a visit, have trailcams setup on them. With all this rain though i'm not expecting much. Already tagged out on moose so more out of curiosity.

Default Moose scent?

I save the urine from bulls in rut and spray it on my boots. Good cover scent
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Default Moose scent?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Just returning from the field and am curious as to a few things I saw.

First, more than 50% of the camps we ran into out there were using some kind of moose scent/urine/lure. Hanging it from trees etc. is this legal???

Second we saw almost a 50:50 bull to cow ratio where we were. Anyone else notice something similar???

Third, we did not see a single calf with any of the cows we saw, I know they had a hard winter but not a single one.
    Is anyone seeing calves???
    I also saw something similar to the 50:50 ratio. The problem was that the big ones were too small and the small ones were too big. We did see a few cows that had calves though.

Also saw a cow caribou with a big orange neck collar. That was pretty neat