Thread: POW Deer Decoys?

Default POW Deer Decoys?

Anybody ever used decoys to hunt deer on POW during the November rut, in conjunction with calls?

Thoughts? Some of those Montana deer decoys look intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by npaull View Post
    Anybody ever used decoys to hunt deer on POW during the November rut, in conjunction with calls?

Thoughts? Some of those Montana deer decoys look intriguing.
    I've not used decoys for deer in Alaska, but I have had good luck with them during the rut in the L48.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Grew up in southeast never heard of anyone using a decoy. I think the biggest reason would be that it's not like theres a bunch of open fields in SE like there is in the L48. Unless your hunting clearcuts, when you see the deer he's almost always going to be in range for a shot so there's no need to draw him in with a decoy.

Troopers have had some good luck with them
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thumbs up

When I hunted the blacktail on Kodiak... we didn't stay in one spot long enough to wait for something to come to us. We went to where they were. And it worked out really well.
    However, if I was bowhunting... I would try a high seat stand and maybe a decoy. AND Definitly use calls, we called in several bucks to within less than 70 yards with a rubber band cedar wood call.

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 09-21-2012 at 03:15. Reason: can't spell worth c___

Have used them with my trailcam, but haven't hunted over them much. I'd sit for an hour or so and call, but only when I went in to pull the camera card....

I'd usually have to rebuild the decoy after letting it soak in the woods, the bucks would typically thrash them into pieces.

CDY_0017.jpg

He's sniffin his but.... eeeeewwwwwww.

That's a huge Sitka buck!!!! He puts away the myth that they are small. Neat pic.

I have a Montana doe decoy. I've use it here and there. It works, but I've never had a big buck come in. I've had smaller bucks come in and it does help to lure them out into the open. I only archery hunt, so I like the smaller muskegs. Awesome picture ak enviro!

Funny enough, we bought two new decoys this year to try out. Never got them out in the field, but put them together and stuck them in the wifes flower garden in the front yard.

Had to 're-build' them several times over the last couple of weeks. Seems there is a buck hanging out in the yard that doesn't care for them much. Shoulda hung the trail cam....

Think we're going to need to see more pictures...That first one is great!

Quote Originally Posted by npaull View Post

Thoughts?
    If you are being quiet and completely still while calling, I do not think you would need a decoy. When I have hunted POW during the rut hauling a decoy anywhere would have been a big inconvenience. If they come into visual range while calling then they are already pretty committed to coming to the sound.The more remote a location, the bigger the bucks seemed to get...

Maybe by not having a visual for them to home in on it keeps them searching and moving closer? Maybe there's a doe behind that bush with a rifle pointing out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    If you are being quiet and completely still while calling, I do not think you would need a decoy. When I have hunted POW during the rut hauling a decoy anywhere would have been a big inconvenience. If they come into visual range while calling then they are already pretty committed to coming to the sound.The more remote a location, the bigger the bucks seemed to get...

Maybe by not having a visual for them to home in on it keeps them searching and moving closer? Maybe there's a doe behind that bush with a rifle pointing out of it...
    Bowhunting though, so it gives you an advantage...Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That's a huge Sitka buck!!!! He puts away the myth that they are small. Neat pic.
    That's not a myth....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by 'Ike' View Post
    Bowhunting though, so it gives you an advantage...Maybe!
    I figured if OP was bowhunter he would have posted in that forum !

Having the right pitched call helps too!