Thread: What the h*ll is a Swai??

Default What the h*ll is a Swai??

So I go to Humpy's in Kona this spring and like any good fisherman, I look to order fish on the menu to support my commercial fishing brothers....
    There is a couple of local specialities like Mahi Mahi and Ono at 25 dollars for an order of fish and chips and on the other end of the spectrum is the 15 dollar Swai fish sandwich..... I ask the nice waitress what in gods green earth is a Swai? She tells me that it is a fresh water fish from Alaska...... Being from here, I almost immediately get on the internet and find that not only do Swai not exist in Alaska but they are a weird farm raised catfish from the Mekong delta. Can you imagine the conditions that they are raised in Vietnam and then frozen and shipped to Hawaii? Surely some human waste filled backwater of the might Mekong river.....
    Needless to say I went back and politely corrected the waitress so that she would perhaps pass on the details and she told me that her boss told her that Swai is from Alaska.....

Buyer beware......

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

She had to lie, and that'swai.

Tanana Valley AK

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    She had to lie, and that'swai.
    Lying about farmed fish coming from Alaska is a serious matter. Swai you joking about it sayak?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It