Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard how things are holding up on the Yentna/Su?

Default Anyone heard how things are holding up on the Yentna/Su?

The MSB site said the Yentna gauge is about three feet under water, looks like the gauge for the Big Su is gone??

Big su Is Nasty right now,That guys truck on the beach is going to be under the water in the morning. No way to get over to it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

As of 11am today the Yentna at Lake Creek was at 23.3' moderent flooding is at 21.5' Action leval is at 19'. The last posted picture at Deshka Landing the water was over the dike. The water has crested at Lake creek as of this afternoon.

Here's the susitna at the parks. Looking to rise by more than another foot. Yikes.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...afc&gage=suna2

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    As of 11am today the Yentna at Lake Creek was at 23.3' moderent flooding is at 21.5' Action leval is at 19'. The last posted picture at Deshka Landing the water was over the dike. The water has crested at Lake creek as of this afternoon.
    9/20/2012 The river is over the top of the levy.
    http://www.deshkalanding.com/

Attachment 63679

Alexander Creek is flooded badly. Lots of cabins and outbuildings are in the water. The Lake Creek report has been changed and now the water's supposed to drop today and tomorrow and then rise to a new high at 6:00 Sunday morning. Skwentna's forecast is similar.

I hope everyones cabins survive this weather.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob- I understand your sentiments, and am with you 100% in empathizing with people who may be experiencing hardship. However, I have seen many
    structures foolishly built with inappropriate methods in obvious (and not so apparent but still obvious after careful study) floodplains. It is hard for me to hope that those structures survive, as I simply don't think they belong in those locations over the long term. We aren't doing our waterways any favors with such foolhardy development.

Sincerely hoping everyone makes it through with the important things intact. But there are some lessons to learn, and a greater respect to cultivate.

This may sound cold, but the reality is that floodplains and long term housing are often not compatible, and for me it would be irresponsible to hope that every house and cabin makes it through, because I honestly hope that the MSB wakes up and realizes the foolishness it is condoning and in many cases encouraging by moving these wetlands into private hands. And there is no way people will learn these lessons except for the hard way.

Anyone feel free to flame away, I'm not sensitive, but I think there is potential for great discussion here and increased respect for riparian areas, and I hope those who bristle at my thoughts will think long and hard before writing them off.

Again, my condolences to those who have lost, though hopefully you came out with the important things. Nothing is permanent, the least of which is your troubles.

Posted again but in wrong thread MOD please delete this one (but not the last one)

Well the truck did not make it (Not Mine)

IMG_5143.jpgIMG_5144.jpgJust a couple of pics from Alexander Creek. Didnt post any of Mr. Pids because I dont want him to cry and mostly because he probaly dosent want any Yahoos from this forum to no where he lives!

IMG_5147.jpgIMG_5154.jpgCouple of more cabins on the Alexander. The a frame was Todd Palins at one time. Not sure if it is still or not.

Roger, is that pic of the truck current? I would have hopes that it holds up. The water looks lower than most of the important stuff and if it is going down there may be some hope. I have had buddies that left their rig stuck in a mud hole deeper than that over night and they cleaned up fine. I am probably being optimistic but to my eye if the water recedes he may be ok... Then again another foot of water and it could get pushed on out to the inlet...

Quote Originally Posted by alexander
    The a frame was Todd Palins at one time. Not sure if it is still or not.
    hopefully it's still his

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Roger, is that pic of the truck current? ...
    8:30 this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hopefully the owner of that truck is somewhere safe and dry. Trouble with the truck is that the current will eat away at the ground under the tires due to the turbulence and the truck may sink deeper and deeper without the water getting deeper....

This is shaping up to exceed the flooding we saw back in 2008, at least for the big su. The former pioneer site at willow creek is under water, the campground on the north side has water surrounding it and there are alot of people on Willow creek who are going to have major problems cleaning up after this mess. Part of me agrees with what Andweav said above. I hate to see people being displaced and losing cabins, etc, but alot of these places were just trouble waiting to happen.

The flood is increasing it's reach.

Alaska Floods: All Talkeetna Residents Requested to Evacuate

TALKEETNA, Alaska—
    MAT-SU – 1139
    Fire chief Farina and Steve Mahay both agree that flooding of the Town of Talkeetna is imminent. Authorities request that all residents evacuate the town immediately. The Sunshine Senior Center can accommodate 20 people. Talkeetna Elementary School is taking student to Su Valley High School. Please contact the School District for pickup info.

That is truly unfortunate. This one may change the face of the upper susitna for a long time.

How's it holding up, has anyone seen if the truck has moved or not?

Town of Talkeetna being evacuated....look out below!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

I heard a rumor that the truck is well on it's way to being a submarine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast