Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitions/Monolithic bullet failures or unsatisfactory results ?

Default Partitions/Monolithic bullet failures or unsatisfactory results ?

After reading several accounts over time, a couple recently, about monolithic bullets and there "failure" to expand, or "unexpected/poor performance", put me to wondering if any of you have had disappointing performance from the Nosler Partition in magnum or standard class calibers.

I think many would be interested to read about what "you" think was poor or unexpected performance, please include cartridge, game animal, estimated range and/or velocity that the bullet impacted, or muzzle velocity and range.

Would you consider a bullet that at 95 yards hit the spine and fragmented into about 5 pieces a failure? Or should that be expected?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Would you consider a bullet that at 95 yards hit the spine and fragmented into about 5 pieces a failure? Or should that be expected?
    If the critter died, I wouldnt consider it a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    If the critter died, I wouldnt consider it a failure.
    Agreed. I have to admit I was perplexed to see an exit wound on the inside of the nearside hind quarter. Took me a second to figure out what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    put me to wondering if any of you have had disappointing performance from the Nosler Partition in magnum or standard class calibers.

I was very disappointed in a nosler partition.. close range brown bear shot with a 375 H&H 300 grain nosler partition... killed the bear but I recovered the bullet and all the lead up front was gone lost about a 100grs of the bullet... not a failure but not the classic mushroom I was expecting

The only bullet failure I've ever had was 375H&H 300gr silvertip on 125# black bear at under 25 yards. The bear dropped dead but there was less than a 1/2" of penetration on a shoulder hit.The hide and meat on the impact side was covered in silver half way down the side.Never found any lead.Yes that bear did die but was very happy he was not the brownie I was expecting to be there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I admit, I am old school but I have hunted all over the world and I use Nosler Partitions. There must be a reason.......Duckdon

A partition that loses its front half lead with front jacket folded back or missing isn't a failure - the blunt remaining piece will be very disruptive as it passes through critter. Plus, the lost front half are secondary missles that wreck things as they go off on their merry way too. That's precisely how they're intended to work.

Oddball near-side bullet explosions are indicative of too soft a bullet pushed too fast, and that's something that can be tested beforehand using stiff bullet-catching media like phone books and such.

Otherwise, folks get WAY too hung on how much bullet is left hanging together after a kill and what it ends up looking like, as if that has much to do with what the bullet did to the critter. What matters is a hole through the vitals, and that's 75% marksmanship and 25% headstamp and bullet selection.

I shot a moose just above/behind the heart with a 180 partition out of a 30-06, and I found the base of the expanded bullet poking through hide on the opposite side of the critter. Front half was smeared away, and jacket petals were folded back along the back half. The bull stumbled about 20' and dropped. Another bull stood after a high lung shot with same bullet from 300 winmag. Second shot blew through both shoulder blades and down he went. I've not recovered any partitions from five mule deer shot at ranges varying from 30 yards to 400 yards, using 280 or 30-06. None of those animals went very far.

I shot a couple of kodiak deer with 165 GMX monolithic bullets out of a 30-06, and they ran a bit. Didn't recover bullets, and internal disruption was relatively minor. Lesson to me there is make sure you can push monolithics really fast, or don't use them. I've since found a 30-06 load that pushes the barnes 130 TTSX at 3350 fps and will use that on whatever, wherever. Monolithics don't shed secondary missiles, so their own disruption pattern needs to be substantial. That can only happen if they blunt up so that the animal can slow them down. That can only happen if they're going fast enough to blunt up.

Smile

I think VEK really hit a major point. It's seemingly odd that soooooo many people have these expectations about what their bullets need to do or be like after a kill. Hence, after a kill!! If it's dead, did it really fail? If it's not a perfect mushroom that can't be sent to a magazine for braggin' rights, did it fail? Are ya disappointed? Velocites, distances, bullet material/shape, bones/mass muscles, all have so much more to do with how a bullet reacts, that I don't think alot of folks might truly understand basic bullet dynamics. For example, just because it worked in my buddy's setup, doesn't necessarily confirm that it'll work in mine, even if they're the same. I'm not a ballistician (spelling) by any means, but shooting a moose, buffalo, goat at 300yds when compared to say, 50yds, even I know that most (if not all) bullets can/will react differently. To me, recovered or pass thru's DO NOT matter, if it's accurate and the critter is dead as intended, I'm a happy camper...
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 09-21-2012 at 10:39. Reason: spelling

I have never seen anything shot with any of the bullets mentioned that didn't die. I will say that in my limited experience the accubonds seem to work better than the partitions on smaller animals. I am curious what others are seeing out there.

I am only basing this on the 2 goats and a bou I have seen with the Accubonds vs a single sheep with partitions. The sheep took 3 rounds through the vitals and just stood there! Honestly it looked like it hadn't been shot and was just confused. Finally it tipped over and I got the impression that it stood there and bled out. The impact of the accubonds was much more noticeable with every animal having an immediate reaction and went down quickly. Is this what other people are seeing on animals of this size?

I have killed alot of deer with 100g partitions in a 243win. They have never let me down, I cant even remember any animals moving any further than 5 feet after bieng shot. That bieng said i switched to accubonds recently in my 300wsm and have been more than satisfied. Both bullet are designed to loose the front part of the bullet while the back half holds togher and continues on. The caribou i shot recently was hit in the shoulder with a 180g accubond at 200yds and i found the bullet in the opposite shoulder. The bone on the shoulder i hit was completley destroyed yet i was supprized how little blood shot there was compared to what i have seen the partitions can do. I weighed the bullet that i recoverd last night and the accubone retained 103g. Both great bullets imho, but accubonds seem to destroy less meat and the tips are more consistant if you looking for longer range consistancy.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I think VEK really hit a major point. It's seemingly odd that soooooo many people have these expectations about what their bullets need to do or be like after a kill. Hence, after a kill!! If it's dead, did it really fail? If it's not a perfect mushroom that can't be sent to a magazine for braggin' rights, did it fail? Are ya disappointed? Velocites, distances, bullet material/shape, bones/mass muscles, all have so much more to do with how a bullet reacts, that I don't think alot of folks might truly understand basic bullet dynamics. For example, just because it worked in my buddy's setup, doesn't necessarily confirm that it'll work in mine, even if they're the same. I'm not a ballistician (spelling) by any means, but shooting a moose, buffalo, goat at 300yds when compared to say, 50yds, even I know that most (if not all) bullets can/will react differently. To me, recovered or pass thru's DO NOT matter, if it's accurate and the critter is dead as intended, I'm a happy camper...
    My expectation is what the company who makes the bullet claims it will do. I in no way said anything about failure.. I have every right to be dissapointed in a bullet that lost 33 percent of its weight.. If I wanted a 200 grain bullet I would shoot a 30 caliber not a 375..Yes dead is dead but when it dies is wayyyyyy more important then how.I am more worried about when it lost the lead and I care that the bullet holds together when it hits bone and transfers a but load of energy to what I am shooting at(in my case it was a wounded bear) to stop the critter in its tracks. I expect things to work as claimed I never said partitions are bad(I use them in my 300wby) and a forum is in my opinion not the right place to bash a company so I would not do that.I could give a rats butt about all on paper nonsense and the hows and whys what I care about is the real world performance of bullets. I have seen many a bullet on many a critter and how it performs where it counts...on animals from varying distances and from more guns and velocities then I could care to remember and if I havent seen it I work with someone who has.I have shot dangerous game from stem to stern and even shot a wounded bison that tried to run myself and hunter over so I am demanding on how a bullet will perform.. Sorry if my opinion does not agree with you but I was merely answering a question posed by the OP....

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Partition.aspx

I have shot all kind of critters here in the USA with a variety of cartridges and bullets, CoreLokt to X bullets, turkey to moose. With about 20 cartridges from 22-250 to 458WM. Ranges from 7yds to 400, with most being between 75 and 150 long steps.
    Everything I've ever used that is normally billed as a "Premium" has worked splendidly, the lesser bullets, not so much. I have had complete blowups from CoreLokts and Silvertips, a Hornady Interlock that left it's jacket between hide and muscle on the entrance side, and also alot of good performance from the cheapies. Had one 180 Silvertip go stem to stern on the biggest whitetail I've ever shot, awesome performance, very next one out of the box blew to bits on a hog's shoulderblade without breaking it.
    I guess my bottom line is that while the plain old bullets may work most of the time, IME the expensive ones work more often than "Most of the time".

Ive had great luck with nosler partitions on all sorts of game. Elk,antelope,sheep,deer, most recently a week ago on a moose. Very accurate and seem to hold up well. Never had any probs. pulled one out of the hide on the opposite side of a moose and had great mass retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I was very disappointed in a nosler partition.. close range brown bear shot with a 375 H&H 300 grain nosler partition... killed the bear but I recovered the bullet and all the lead up front was gone lost about a 100grs of the bullet... not a failure but not the classic mushroom I was expecting
    Most of the Nosler Partitions I have recovered had the front lead gone or mostly so. I just expect that to happen with partitions and dont have any problem with it. They seem to kill just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    Most of the Nosler Partitions I have recovered had the front lead gone or mostly so. I just expect that to happen with partitions and dont have any problem with it. They seem to kill just fine.
    I think I am not describing the bullet found correctly and I will try to find it when I go to Kenai this weekend but anyway there was zero lead and what was left was basically the back of the bullet..no mushroom no lead just a half of a bullet...
    the bullet did work but i was dissapointed and I assure you I am not the only one out there with that thought...

I have shot many game animals from whitetail to grizzly with my 7mm rem mag loaded with 160 grain Nosler partitions. The bullets have performed splendidly in all instances except one. The one problem instance was shooting a 7.5 foot grizzly on the slope. I shot the bear from 205 yards and it dropped stone dead and never twitched. Thought that was a bit odd since I had been aiming for a double lung shot behind the shoulder. When skinning the bear the situation became clear. The front of the bullet appeared to have come apart on impact with the elbow of the bear. The main shank of the bullet was deflected almost straight up and lodged in the spine killing the bear. I am not bashing partitions. I love those bullets and shoot them more than any other bullet unless I am hunting griz, other dangerous game, or any game in Africa. Reason I don't use them in Africa is my longtime professional hunter I use over there won't allow partitions in his camp based on his past experiences with the bullets. Given that he personally guides clients to between 200 and 300 big game animals each year I do respect his opinion although I do not necessarily agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My expectation is what the company who makes the bullet claims it will do. I in no way said anything about failure.. I have every right to be dissapointed in a bullet that lost 33 percent of its weight.. If I wanted a 200 grain bullet I would shoot a 30 caliber not a 375..Yes dead is dead but when it dies is wayyyyyy more important then how.I am more worried about when it lost the lead and I care that the bullet holds together when it hits bone and transfers a but load of energy to what I am shooting at(in my case it was a wounded bear) to stop the critter in its tracks. I expect things to work as claimed I never said partitions are bad(I use them in my 300wby) and a forum is in my opinion not the right place to bash a company so I would not do that.I could give a rats butt about all on paper nonsense and the hows and whys what I care about is the real world performance of bullets. I have seen many a bullet on many a critter and how it performs where it counts...on animals from varying distances and from more guns and velocities then I could care to remember and if I havent seen it I work with someone who has.I have shot dangerous game from stem to stern and even shot a wounded bison that tried to run myself and hunter over so I am demanding on how a bullet will perform.. Sorry if my opinion does not agree with you but I was merely answering a question posed by the OP....

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Partition.aspx
    I was just speaking in generalities. I'm not sure if I even read your post to be quite honest. I never mentioned anyone at all, and certainly not trying to offend. Appreciate the input though...

Nosler accubond 200 grain in a 30.06 went 43 inches through a whitetail length wise. 30 caliber hole both ends. Same with a Winchester fail safe 180 in the 06.

Two dead deer.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast