Thread: Buying a jet boat for rivers /creeks in AL and GA - looking for recommendations!

Default Buying a jet boat for rivers /creeks in AL and GA - looking for recommendations!

Howdy friends in Alaska! We don't have too many jet boats down this way but man, we sure have a lot of water where one would be fun. I don't think you'll ever see another boat unless it's a canoe.

The waters can be VERY swift, extremely rocky, quite shallow, and muddy I want to run upstream against some swift current - coming back downstream might be interesting.

Anyway - looks like the best I have run across are the Phantom 20'6 and the Extreme Shallow 18.5 foot. I'll be alone alot and I have never jet boated. I currently run an Allison that'll run in the 90's so I know how to handle a high performance bass boat but I've no clue on jets.

What do you all recommend? It seemed like smaller was better - many of the creeks I'll be running will be narrow. I prefer a standard bass boat config with walk thru center - will need a trolling motor mounted on front - pedastal seats in front and back.

Are there any other manufacturers that I should consider? Are there any forums or on line places I should look to see if a used boat is available? Will have to have it shipped to my place in North Alabama.

Anyway - your input would be appreciated!

will

G3 makes a tunnel hull and is paired with a yamaha of your choosing. They may have something for you. They are very nice boats and really catching on up here. I know Yamaha makes a 150 with a jet but you can get a jet put on about any outboard if you want. I just got a yamaha 90hp two stroke. In that hp range it is the lightest motor with that horsepower, great power to weight ratio. Yamaha makes the only 3 cylinder 90. Something to think about.

Default Which is preferred - outboard jet or inboard jet?

Thanks for the advice - I have heard of G3, they make a bass boat I think. I believe that I have seen a few in Alabama.

Insofar as the outboard - I've read some info indicating that they can be more challenging than an inboard? I don't know - just something I read. The inboards have a "stomp grate" - not certain how big of a difference that makes.

I've been reading through the forums here and I'm picking up some good info on running one of these jets. Sounds like I need to definitely be prepared to work on the boat where ever I am - sounds like a winch might be advisable - ropes, wow. I guess getting stuck remote can be interesting - good thing is here, don't have to worry about a grizzily bear getting me - just got to worry about the red-necks on the creek banks way back in the woods

I have only run a 20ft jon with a 40hp jet, I am moving up to a 90 this year. I ran aground once and was able to work it off. (middle of the night going duck hunting) Inboards will be bigger (obviousy) and weigh more than a smaller boat. Other guys will be able to answer this much better than I, but I guess it will be a matter of cost, and the size of water you will be running.
    G3 makes a bunch of different boats, from 12ft jons to pontoon boats. It is owned by Yamaha an is basically their jon boat line but it has expanded over the years. They have make some hulls for one dealer up here that is designed for a jet and our conditions. If that is the type of boat you are interested in it may be worth looking into.

MINE IS 13 FOOTER WITH 175 HP MERCURYSPORT JET I WOULD LOOK INTO MERC SPORT JET. IF ROCKY THINK ABOUT ONE WITH PLASTIC ATTACHED TO BOTTOM. IF YOU GO OUTBOARD GET A TUNNEL AND HAVE CONSOLE CLOSE TO FRONT(5-6 FT) JETS DO NOT DO WELL WHERE THERE ARE ALOT OF WEEDS.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

sontaquasi,
    If pretty isn't a priority--get a 19 foot Roughneck tunnel hull, with a center console (unless you HAVE to have a walk through). Hang a 90 horse motor of choice on the back and enjoy. The Roughneck is reasonably priced and durable--if you ding it, just bang out with a mallet and press on.

I advocate center consoles because running jets means running shallow water. Standing up while you drive gives you a better view of what's in front of you, and standing lets you use body english when running narrow creeks.

Final note about outboard jets--they are horsepower thieves--90 HP at the head means about 65HP at the nozzle.

Default Alabama Wooldridge Jet Boat

You might check out Wooldridge boats they have a dealer/Mfg in Theodore AL. PSI sales you can find them on the Wooldridge dealer website. They set them up just like a bass boat but with the jet drive as well as live wells and trolling motors up front and a pedestal seats that can be moved around the boat. Here is an article from a customer of theirs that has a 17 Alaskan.

http://riversmallies.com/guestrev_therring1.html

Smile Thanks - what guage bottom is recommended?

Thanks for all of the great info!! Really appreciate it!! Many, many options out there.

Insofar as guage on the bottom - what is the minimum you would consider. Is .10 the lowest I should go? Without a doubt I will be hitting and hopefully skipping over rocks - but I don't want the boat to be too heavy.

I think there is a trade off at some level - seems like light will be better in certain situations.

Ya'll take care - one day I hope to visit Alaska!

i would say not go less than .100 but i personally would not go less than .125 and welded....but thats me and for up north here....mine is 3/8 (.375) and 1/4 (.250). on the bottom and that little beast is very heavy 1400#, but near bullet-proof
    for your purpose .100 and riveted would probably be fine.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Another one to check out close to you is the SeaArk made in Arkansas. They make some great boats and work well with a jet unit.

SeaArk

Get some second opinions on running a jet with a tunnel hull. Depending on the design, a tunnel hull can introduce air bubbles which will rob even more horsepower. You can read all about outboard jets here -

Outboard jets
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    i would say not go less than .100 but i personally would not go less than .125 and welded....but thats me and for up north here....mine is 3/8 (.375) and 1/4 (.250). on the bottom and that little beast is very heavy 1400#, but near bullet-proof
    for your purpose .100 and riveted would probably be fine.
    Wow, 3/8ths? I never knew they even made a boat with a bottom this thick. I bet that could be a real nightmare to weld.

Sonataquasio,
    You may try asking these questions over at this forum as well:
    http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...VIEWTMP=Linear
    Tennessee

Default Shameless Plug...

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    You might check out Wooldridge boats they have a dealer/Mfg in Theodore AL. PSI sales you can find them on the Wooldridge dealer website. They set them up just like a bass boat but with the jet drive as well as live wells and trolling motors up front and a pedestal seats that can be moved around the boat. Here is an article from a customer of theirs that has a 17 Alaskan.

http://riversmallies.com/guestrev_therring1.html
    I was also going to recommend Alabama. When I lived in NC (for a short time) he was the only person to get jet parts from on the east coast. They run a lot of jets in Missouri too. Good luck!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default I have a G3 with a jet

I have a 1756 G3 Gatortough with a 60/40 4 stroke jet. It is a great boat very tough and it runs in really shallow water. If you are going to be carrying big loads I would reccomend getting a 1966 or a 1860. You can put more power on those hulls and they are wider so they can carry a little more weight.

DO NOT get a tunnel hull if you are going to put a jet on it (unless it was designed specially for a jet). The G3 tunnel hulls are made to run with a prop motor. If you want a tunnel, get a Wooldridge. If you are looking for a bass boat style boat with a jet, you should check out RiverPro boats. I do not have any personal experience with them but from the research that I have done they seem like they are really well built and might be exactly what you are looking for.
    Good luck
    MTRR

Default Blazer Jet Boats -

Thanks for all of the advice!! I ran acorss Blazer Jet boats too - don't know if you all have seen those.

Wow. So much out there.

Thanks to all for your input - I'll continue looking.