Thread: Willow Lake Float-Plane boo-boo

Default Willow Lake Float-Plane boo-boo

Plane crashes in Willow Lake

By: By Heather Resz Published: September 6, 2012
    Email

WILLOW An Anchorage man was injured Sunday afternoon when his plane stalled and crashed shortly after take off from Willow Lake.
    Alaska State Troopers and Willow emergency services personnel responded to the scene after numerous reports of the crash came in around 4:17 p.m., Sunday.

Ipsen said the plane did not flip, but was partially submerged in the lake.
    Onshore, people who heard the crash jumped in their pontoon boat and motored to the crash scene, picked up Long and brought him back to the Willow Community Center to meet an ambulance, Ipsen said. She said he reported back pain and a gash on his chin.
    Ipsen said Department of Environmental Conservation also responded to the scene after the plane began leaking fuel. She said a person was using a boat to tow the plane to shore when one of its floats caught on the lake bottom 20- to 30-feet off shore and fuel began leaking.
    Ipsen the said the National Traffic Safety Board also was notified.
    The pilot, Stephen Long, 63, told troopers hed just taken off when the 1981 Taylorcraft F21 he was flying started to stall due to lack of wing speed. He told troopers he tried to turn the plane to avoid hitting the trees, but his right wing clipped the water and pulled him in, trooper spokesperson Beth Ipsen said.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had a friend who has a place on the lake. He was the first on the seen with his boat. Here is a picture he took after he towed the plane as close to the shore as he could.

willow lake wreck.jpg

OUCH!!!!

At least the steel tube frame of the T-Craft saved his life....

That water looks pretty glassy , I wonder how long after the wreck the photo was taken?????

The article said it was an F-21, I wonder if he was having any of the F-21 fuel tank problems.....???? I see two radio antennee...... Makes me wonder how much that gal weighs....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't think it was too long after the crash. The way the story was relayed to me from him is that he was outside and heard the plane taking off and then heard it hit. His kids were on the dock and saw it and came running up. They went out in their boat and another boat met them at the plane. They picked up the pilot and immediately towed the plane as far in to shore as they could. I can't remember who he told me brought the boom over.

I have not talked to Steve yet as to the cause. He sustained some injuries I understand. If I remember correctly his plane has shoulder harnesses and that probably saved him from more serious injuries. My Tcraft does not have shoulder belts and I need to rectify that.