Thread: Donnally Dome/Delta River

Default Donnally Dome/Delta River

Has anyone crossed the Delta River near Donnally Dome this week with a four Wheeler or do i need a boat now?

We've had a lot of rain and warm temps last couple of weeks. My guess would be a boat for sure.

I couldn't cross on a wheeler last year until last week of Oct.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yeah, I would certainly wait until things cool off again. I crossed last fall in October and had other cross in October too and watch a 6 wheeler to somersaults down the river, so make sure you know what you are doing and what to look for before crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    and watch a 6 wheeler to somersaults down the river, so make sure you know what you are doing and what to look for before crossing.
    Well said northway.... I pulled three dead wheelers from the water last year and knew of a dozen more. Pretty lucky none involved a fatality. A lot of folks misjudge the water.

A couple of things- if you can't see bottom, it's too deep and lots of those braids have holes and trenches that might be far deeper than the riffle three feet away. A friend of mine got washed down stream from 2.5' of water to well over 6' in the space of just a wheeler width- dead wheeler...I pulled it out a 1/4 mile downstream at midnight, he was wet head to toe and about hypothermic. The bottom isn't uniform- don't think it is.

Shelf ice is a killer- you can easily enough ride off shelf ice into shallow water and cross. Getting out is a different story, you often can't break the ice or have the momentum to climb out on the far bank. If the shelf won't collapse under the wheeler weight then go back. I was in the water for 20 minutes last year before I finally hit just right and managed a hair raising climb out...it could have been bad.

Everyone is excited about these cow tags but be very careful of the water crossing to get there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the update we crossed last year the first week of October but with all this rain I will ferry the wheelers across with the jet boat, I only hope I cam find a place to launch near Donnally campground. I am in no hurry to get anyone hurt or loose a wheeler.

All the creeks along the Richardson in and around that area are running real high right now. State workers were trying to keep one area from washing out the road.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Yeah, I would certainly wait until things cool off again. I crossed last fall in October and had other cross in October too and watch a 6 wheeler to somersaults down the river, so make sure you know what you are doing and what to look for before crossing.
    We went later where there was a lot of ice. River crossing was easy. Like you said, if you can't see the bottom, it is probably too deep! I spent awhile looking for the perfect place to cross in the braids, so worked out. I didn't have any issues, but the rider with me didn't really care for the route I chose. Then again, I've had water over my seat in the current before, so know what the machine can do or can't do. I had to "chop" the shelf ice off a place where the water was about 30" deep. Steep banks and no way to get by without chopping the ice out. Great adventure so will look forward to trying again when conditions are right!

That area along Black Rapids had very heavy rainfall Wednesday night and all day Thursday so the river is way too deep and swift to attempt at this time but who knows what Oct holds for us. The mountain is sliding into the highway just south of Black Rapids last night as I returned from unit 13. Pretty hazardous in that area. Be careful out there.
    Steve

I see the river guage is longer working. Has anyone been down to the campground to check the river levels this week?