Thread: Ruffie Report 19 SEP 12

Default Ruffie Report 19 SEP 12

Got out last night. It was drizzling which pushed the birds to take cover I believe. Good thing is about a third to half the leaves are down. Saw two ruffies and a spruce hen. I ended up with one a piece. They were all hanging out on the edges of mature aspen stands in alder groves. Interestingly the sprucie had all high bush cranberries in its crop and the ruffie seemed to have moved on to exclusively feeding on aspen buds despite the availability of cranberries in the area. I apologize for not updating the shutterfly page I will update it tonight with pictures of birds, the puppies and crop contents. Good luck guys.

That's a good report. What part of the state are you in, friend?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I'm in Fairbanks man, I have about nine areas NE and NW of Fairbanks I've been hitting. The next couple weeks I'm gonna focus my efforts SE of Fairbanks. I'm compiling a list of honey holes here until the end of November. I'm primarily interested in ruffies, reminds me of back home on the iron range I guess, havent looked for sharptail at all and the spruce hens are a bi product of my efforts. My goal here is to set up a season long report for the areas from this and next year showing the change in habitat usage. I have taken a series of photos to document the habitat I find them in and the contents of their crops. If I could get off my butt one of these evenings I would like to update that shutterfly page, and if anyone wants I can send the crop pictures to their email. Can't wait for the snow to fall, thats my favorite time for ruffies! Also, if anyone wants killer recipes for their birds I have a compiled list of my recipes,( I ate pheasant or grouse 5 out of 7 days a week when I went to college in order to save money, I got creative!)

To be honest I should publish a wild fowl cook book! Again, my email is zac.d.miller@gmail.com if you would like pictures or recipes. Ill include the cooking techniques I use along with the recipes, just let me know what style of food you like (italian, southern, cajun, mexican whatever, I probably have it!)