Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Seat/Please take me hunting!

Default Open Seat/Please take me hunting!

Building off of the success of the open seat forum in the fishing forum and the solid start in the general hunting forum, we're going to see if the idea can carry over to the waterfowl hunting forum. If you're going out for a waterfowl hunting trip and wouldn't mind sharing the experience with another forum member, post the details of the hunt here - days afield, point of departure, intended target, access means, anticipated costs, gear necessities, etc. If you're looking for someone to take you hunting and don't see any offers here, consider posting a request here to make the necessary connections.

With some trepidation, I'm gonna give this a try. Who would like to join me for one last hurrah at the close of the duck season? I mostly hunt alone but a partner can't make this weekend hunt.
    I will be there Thursday afternn and hunt Fri-Sat- Sun. It's on the Kenai Pen and approx 2-2.5 hrs drive from Anch. I have a small RV that I stay in but there are facilities in the area if one needed lodging. It is one of my late season go to spots and am willing to share it with confidentiality to another serious ducker for the sake of sharing, safety, and possibly more effective hunting. And I always enjoy learning from others experiences.
    If u are relatively seasoned, discreet, and would love to get a crack at many mallards and a few other species please PM me. A dog would be a plus but not necessity. Another small sack of decoys would be nice too.
    I was at this spot last week and had many many mallards just out of range. Eventually got one but should have had more had I eyes on both sides of my head. I have been hunting this spot off and on for about ten yrs.
    More details to follow if serious thru ph conversation. Relatively easy hunt. If you are die hard ducker who wants that last season chance please PM me with your ambitions. Thanks!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I wish I didnt have a Christmas party at my house on Saturday.... I have all of the above requested items and would totally take you up on the offer. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I wish I didnt have a Christmas party at my house on Saturday.... I have all of the above requested items and would totally take you up on the offer. Good luck.
    Am planning on heading over there tomorrow. (One day delay). I will hunt Sat morn then Sun morn. Easy to meet up w me either day. No takers yet. Kinda surprised.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I would love to go on a late season hunt where there were mallards flying, but from Wasilla its a very long drive over roads that promise to be pretty bad with the snow they are calling for, in addition to the gas expense. However, feel free to contact me if you might be interested in a hunt next fall here in the valley, happy to take out somebody that doesn't normally hunt this area sometime. Bud
    Wasilla

Hey guys, ill be driving up to soldotna and be there through September to work this year. I love duck hunting but won't have my trusty dog along, nor any of my decoys or other hunting gear except waders and ill have some camo. Just wondering if anyone is willing to take a guy out for a shoot or two. If so ill throw my Benelli in the jeep and happily chip in for gas etc.

My Wife and I will be moving up to Anchorage in August! She has never been duck hunting and I have only been a couple times with guys who had some idea of what they were doing. I am looking to link up with a couple guys who know what they are doing to show us the ropes. I am not looking to take anyones spots or secrets, just the basics to point us in the right direction. I want to spend the time in the woods and on the water to learn, but I believe that having an experienced mentor can cut your learning curve a lot.

This forum is awesome for information and there are some terrific people who are willing to help their fellow outdoorsmen.

Steve

Join Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.. Need I say more
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I definitely will.

I have a cabin in PWS for the fri/sat of Oct 24 rented. Looking for 1 or 2 more to team up with for ducks and geese. I have a boat and have hunted the sound a couple times for seaducks and can't seem to figure out how to hunt the geese very well.

Looking for someone to go with that has some experience. I have enough duck deeks, but could use a few geese deeks. We do have another couple that might be going but they won't be hunting. I can shuttle to the cabin (it is close to whittier) if we need.

Must not mind a little drinkin in the evenings.

PM me if you are interested.

Me and a buddy might be out there that timeframe anyway..chasing ducks and geese. So we could easily join the team. Let me know. We start hitting the birds pretty hard about that time out there. I have more then enough decoys for either ducks or geese. We typically use longlines and love them. Fast to put out and birds dive in..

stay in touch..we are game at this point.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Definitely stay in touch. There are 4 double beds in the cabin. I have enough seaducks and some puddlers. I'd like to talk about strategy and locations before we go.

The main issue I run into is leaving the boat while I'm hunting, which is not such a problem, but getting back to it can sometimes require patience.......LOL.

Randy

Sounds like we are full. Kwack - check with duckh01 - if he only has 1 then you are welcome to go with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

The main issue I run into is leaving the boat while I'm hunting, which is not such a problem, but getting back to it can sometimes require patience.......LOL.

Randy
    I was introduced to this handy little deal called an anchor buddy last year. Depending on the model you can anchor your boat 50 to 100' away from the shore. Its elastic, you drop your anchor and drive to shore, guy gets out and hold boat with bow line. You turn the motor off and unload. You tie the end of the bow line to a tree or mooring point etc and the elastic takes the boat back into the deep water. Pretty easy stuff.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I have been using a bungie cord system for 5 years now. I have recently upgraded to larger bungie, but it works mostly the same. I have 300' of anchor rope and 100' of bungie cord that stretches to 300'. I also have 400' of rope off the stern that I hand to a partner or tie to a tree then I motor out and I anchor 300' from high tide - minus the water depth. Then I set the anchor and pull myself back to shore with the rope off the stern. Jump out and let the bungie pull it back out to deep water.

The area above - to keep the birds from flaring, I anchor 1/4 mile away, but if the tide is not right and comes in - you can't cross the river to get back to the anchored boat until the water level drops.

I also have a 50' buddy anchor bungie in case I need another 50' and have added 300' more anchor line and have 200' of 1/2" bungie that stretches to 350' so I can get 400' from shore with the anchor buddy if I need to.

Thinking of heading out to PWS Saturday if I can find some guys to help with fuel costs. Mostly looking for ducks, but deer could be on the menu also or it could be viceversa too. The weather has to hold out too - forecast is looking good right now. Could use 3 or 4 guys. I have a shout out to duckhunter01 so far and await response.

would love to go but wife out of town, have to watch son and dogs. Maybe in November if still hunting.

I have 3 now. Could take 1 more if anyone bites. Will just make it a day hunt. Hit the 7:30 tunnel and come back at dark thirty unless we limit early.

Steve - how old is son and what kind of dog? I am always up for taking youngsters out - but not too young. It is usually cold, wet, windy, and plumb cruddy out there.

Son is near 16. Dog is Chessie but in heat. Not a good choice at the moment. Other dog is a lap dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast