Thread: Fishing Log

Default Fishing Log

Does anyone keep a fishing log? I've fished more than I ever the past two years and I'm now wishing I documented locations, conditions, and what did and didn't work. What information do you document?

I feel that keeping a log is one thing I could do to be more efficient with the time I have out on the water.

This is a good idea, I was just talking to my buddy about this the other day. But... Geez if I had compared notes from the last few years to this year I would have been disappointed more than a couple of times...

I keep a log from April through July, from August on its pretty much The same deal every year. However it's yet to help more than hurt due to our varying conditions every year.

I've got a blog I keep private. It's nice because it's accessible wherever I am that has at least a phone signal, somebody else is responsible for backing it up , and it's easy to search. I have found it useful to compare from year to year, although one of the things I've found is that specific spots can change with trees falling, a May storm scouring the bottom in some places, etc. But for whatever it's worth there do seem to be fish nearly everywhere and so I tend to log general area, what worked, and what didn't work rather than exact locations. FWIW I fish almost entirely on the Chena and the fishing this year has been better for me than last year.

I try to keep a log of experimental fly patterns. Nice to be able to refer back a few years later, but a real PITA to remember patterns years later. Sometimes the log falls through the cracks, and it always seems I pay the price when I forget to keep it updated with new patterns.

I started out keeping one just to learn how to code HTML many years ago. But it sure is fun to have all the pictures and times that you can look back on to plan your trips. It's also helpful when I have friends from out of state. I say "go look at my logs and tell me what kind of fishing you like to do and I will make it happen."

I keep telling myself I am going to log weather, pressure, cloud cover etc but I never get around to it. These days its easy enough to look at one of the many weather stations to get that info anyways.

Here are a few I keep on line:

My recent blogs: http://guidesak.blogspot.com/ I haven't done a great job updatiing it but am trying to get more into the groove.

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/guidesak

Despite the URL names, I am not a guide. Its an old email name I created for a company I was helping but somehow inherited the address.
    My old blogs/webpage: http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/

I have been keeping a fishing journal since 2006. Boy does it ever come in handy. I track the body of water, water conditions, who I was fishing with, the weather, what flies I used and which flies were productive, the time of day, etc. Needless to say going back to this over the years have been very useful. I will even include stupid fishing partner tricks. It really lets you see how the salmon runs have decreased. It allows me to repeat the successful trips year after year. I take a lot of pictures. I sort all my pictures by body of water and date. Which allows me to match them to my journal entries by date. Not to mention this brings back a lot of awesome memories with the kids.

i too have slacked on the logs over the last few years, mostly it helps with run timings on the spots you don't fish every year. Yes, they very from year to year slightly but if you have the general or peak of the run down you are better off than, "wasn't it later in the year when we made that awesome trip? I think the leaves were all gold" I never got too crazy with moon cycles and stuff, but looking back on pictures and time stamps are good info but it also makes me sad when I see things like montana creek for kings and remember what it was like compared to the circus it is now.