Thread: This weather and how it effect Moose Hunting

Default This weather and how it effect Moose Hunting

With this being the last weekend for moose hunting for most units in southcentral. I will be like most, that haven't taken a moose yet, hunting as much as possible.

I was wondering if anyone had an insight on how this rainy windy weather would effect moose movements.
    Will they tend to bed down more, or stay down all day? I'm guessing their are similar to deer as get up every few hours to eat.
    Do you think they will stay in the trees more vs the open marsh/swamps?

Any help is great, just a few more days left to get one

I've been thinking about that same question. Large bulls do not eat when going in to rut so the question about eating is not a factor unless it a small bull or cow. Bulls cover them selves with urine to attract cows is the rain washing it off and are the bulls traveling more to find cows? Wind and rain keep moose from hearing if you like to call, good luck having one hear you.

If I had to pick a spot to hunt moose I would find a location where the terrain force the moose to stay on a trail and hope one comes by. Where every they are now whey will not be there for long.

The good news is there will be little or no atv's on the trails just don't plan on crossing an ck.

I am thing about going this weekend and was wondering if anybody had scuba gear I could borrow? LOL

Actually, Mature bulls will rake the ground with their hoofs and urinate in the hole. Cows will approach and sniff and if they are attracted to the bull, itís the cow that will roll around in the urine. The bull will know by the scent and also chase off cows that are less desirable to the bull. Mature bulls should still be in the upper elevations and possibly moving down out of the weather. Remember it is the cow that travels further to seek out the bull, if you see a cow that is on the move follow her.

Some gee-whiz on feeding and the rut.

Researchers call it hypophagia (hy-po-feighe-uh).
    According to research done in Denali NP, bulls' daily food intake begins tapering off about 1/2 a moon phase before the fall equinox (end of the 1st week of September) and stops entirely on, or about the fall equinox (Sept 20th +/- 1 day). The rut begins after the equinox as cows come into estrous, which is ultimately driven by photoperiod, and peaks approximately 1/2 of a moon phase after the equinox or the 1st week of October. Bulls resume feeding shortly after the last cow in their vicinity is impregnated, and her estrous pheromones cease.

Get up early and listen carefully for whining cows, and go to them.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today