Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Kodiak

Default Fall Kodiak

Ok, who all is going? Bear? Deer? Goat?
    Myself, Bear and have a goat tag as well, priority is the bear. Anybody want to share where/when going? Myself i arrive 10/23 staying at best western if anybody would like to share a pre-hunt beer, floatplane out 10/24 start hunt 10/25. thanks, Scott

Got ym Road system Deer 2nd week in Aug, got my Goat 3rd of Sep. Heading to Saltry this weekend with some buds for deer. Rain is hitting hard now, seems like it's playing catch up now as we've had a dry fall so far. I'm starting to debate if we'll even be able to make it to saltry, the creeks are going to be high and moving. I leave in 9 days for 2 weeks in Kenai, then I'll be back, I'm always up for a beer. Still debating on hunting bear this fall, I'd like to save it for the spring. I'll probably get my tag anyway, only thing I am for sure about the bear is it will be with the bow.

I am getting on a plane in Houston TX and will be landing in Kodiak on October the 9th. Stayin at the BW also, then heading out on the 10th to Deadmans Bay to do some deer/duck hunting with my dad and a buddy. Any info you or anyone else wants to throw out will be well recieved. I am taking a raft and motor along to increase my mobility. Thanks,

TH

i have been there for the deer and duck hunt, larsen bay area, had great trip, went end of Nov thru first week in dec. couple 3 years ago, loved it scenery, the lodge, made some friends and shared a week with my son and 6 other friends, will do it again some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Got ym Road system Deer 2nd week in Aug, got my Goat 3rd of Sep. Heading to Saltry this weekend with some buds for deer. Rain is hitting hard now, seems like it's playing catch up now as we've had a dry fall so far. I'm starting to debate if we'll even be able to make it to saltry, the creeks are going to be high and moving. I leave in 9 days for 2 weeks in Kenai, then I'll be back, I'm always up for a beer. Still debating on hunting bear this fall, I'd like to save it for the spring. I'll probably get my tag anyway, only thing I am for sure about the bear is it will be with the bow.
    would like to share a beer with some of you local guys, will have to make some plan as we get a little closer to see who might be around then, thanks.

Scott we arrive on the morning of the 24th of Oct by ferry and fly out to Viecoda Bay same day for deer. Mike

Which lodge did you hunt with? The Larsen Bay Carlsons? Thats a great place to hunt! Great deer hunting and great bear hunting!

I'm heading out the first week of bear season to the Wild Creek/Saltry region. Hopefully Abel will have left a few bucks or does for to take home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    i have been there for the deer and duck hunt, larsen bay area, had great trip, went end of Nov thru first week in dec. couple 3 years ago, loved it scenery, the lodge, made some friends and shared a week with my son and 6 other friends, will do it again some time.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Which lodge did you hunt with? The Larsen Bay Carlsons? Thats a great place to hunt! Great deer hunting and great bear hunting!

I'm heading out the first week of bear season to the Wild Creek/Saltry region. Hopefully Abel will have left a few bucks or does for to take home as well.

Yep, Mike Carlson at Larson Bay, great time, a buddy of mine who has hunted all over the world put the trip together, he has been there like 6 times so I knew it would be good. We all shot at least 2 deer, my son and I do a ton of waterfowl hunting in the lower 48 so we had to get our sea ducks and had a ball doing that. I have kept in touch with Mike and he has helped me with my process of who/where/when to go after the bear. He is booked out several years, my son and I had a run in with a big bear at 30 yds. On that trip I have not been able to get that out of my head and have been planning to go back since!

I'll be going down to Kodiak for 2 different hunts coming up this season, both for helping folks fill their goat tags and if there is time I'll try to fill mine as well.

I'm heading down on Oct. 19th. Going to try to fill my goat permit between then and the 23rd when I fly from the goat unit down to my bear unit. Gonna be doing the bear hunt from the 23rd until the 3rd of November. (I know, I can't start hunting until the 25th, but the 23rd will be setting up camp and the 24th will hopefully yield some sea ducks and deer).

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I'll be going down to Kodiak for 2 different hunts coming up this season, both for helping folks fill their goat tags and if there is time I'll try to fill mine as well.
    You're sort of helping 3. I'll be using your old Nikon spotter on the North Rd system in a few weeks after I finished using it to spot sheep in the Chugach. It's crunch time for packing and sorting gear......and sharpening broadheads.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Heading down the night of the 25th. Flying out with Andrews to the south end of the island for 9 days. Bear tag will be priority. Deer tags, Caribou tags and even a reg. Goat (even though there's very few in the area) will be in hand. Hunted the Island a few times for Goat and Deer, never been drawn for Bear. Really looking forward to the bad weather, the darkness and the cold...and the big Bears and big Bucks.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Well if you're looking for bad weather we've got it. Rain hasn't quit and neither has the winds in the last 9 days I think. Been to long to remember.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

We've been getting a fair share of that here in Mat-Su as well!!
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Ya, the way you guys I getting rain I might be hunting the black bears in a boat 4k feet above sea level, would be nice to not have to hike up there. Hey, teh sun just popped out and it quit raining!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    You're sort of helping 3. I'll be using your old Nikon spotter on the North Rd system in a few weeks after I finished using it to spot sheep in the Chugach. It's crunch time for packing and sorting gear......and sharpening broadheads.
    HAHA right on, good luck on your hunts sir!! I hope to see some pics of a big 'ol billy. I'll be on the road system helping two buddies fill their goat tags on the 2nd hunt. The first hunt I'll be trying to get my wife and a friend their goat, and if still time and weather, see if I can find one too.

Myself and five buddies are coming down the week after thanksgiving for deer in Olga bay. Would appreciate reports from anyone hunting earlier in that area. South end is usually good and I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    We've been getting a fair share of that here in Mat-Su as well!!
    X2. I've been in my backyard all day trying to keep the smoker at 225 for this pork shoulder and it's a PITA! Although, the skin-on wigeon breasts I threw on while mopping the shoulder turned out great for lunch!

Bear is my priority, but will also be looking for deer & sea ducks while we're there.

I have a pile of gear in Andrew Airways garage right now. As soon as the wind dies a buddy and I are gonna see if we can fill our goat tags. And in two weeks I have an Afognak elk tag to use.

I'm heading down on the 19th. Got a surprise invitation/good deal on a boat based deer hunt in Uyak/Larsen/Zachar Bay. Might get into some ducks and halibut while we're there. This will be my first time doing a live-aboard boat hunt. Looking forward to it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast