Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kit, What should I put in it?

Default First Aid Kit, What should I put in it?

I am going on a 75 mile float moose hunt this fall. Air taxi drop off and if we have to be taken out it will have to be done with helo. Sat phone will be coming along also. I was wondering what would be the best things to carry in a first aid kit for this float? This is a 10 day float also.

Here is what I was thinking.

1. Pain medication: Oxycodone
    2. High potent antibotic
    3. suture and suture needle
    4. gauze
    5. tape
    6. latex gloves
    7. asprin
    8. bandaids
    9. butterflies
    10. ace bandage

what else am I missing

Quik-Clot and a roll of clear 3" packing tape.

Extra source of fire???
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Some more

Are you interested in making a "First Aid" kit or "Survival" kit? Just want to be sure. If it is for First aid and you have a seperate kit of survival materials, then you are doing good. I like to keep mine together, but to each his own.

1. Tampons
    2. Super glue
    3. Athletic tape
    4. Paracord
    5. Surface antiseptic
    6. Chapstick
    7. Knife or Scissors

If you are interested in complete survival kits, see the "Survival and Safety Forum". Lots of good info there.

Default ADD ons

These might be useful as well;
    Imodium, Advil, unscented Sanitary Napkins (individualy plastic wrapped), mole skin, alcohol pads.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I will second the Imodium...got a touch of the "beaver fever" last year and I would have paid a lot of money for a bottle. Never...Ever...use a cheap water filter!! Throw in some tums and extra batteries as well.

Thanks for the information.

Default First Aid

One more thing to add, an Epi-pen you may not have been allergic last time you were stung, but that means next to nothing about the next time. This is exactly what happened to me, 45 years of getting stung intermittently took it's toll and now I'm allergic. Turns out, my allergy is not to all wasp or bee's but one brand of yellow jacket with a particular protein, but again that could change next time I'm stung.
    Mark.

Epi-pen's are PX with HX only! you should not be able to just buy them. How about some benydrel (sp)?

cpr mask
    headlamp
    electrolyte replacement powder (mix with water and drink)
    Sam splint

There are some pretty nice first aid kits that you can buy as well. I bought one and then added all of the things that I thought I'd need that weren't included. For each trip I take I adjust the size and contents of my kit to fit the trip.

I'm sure I'll think of more later but this is what I can think of now....Also, I took a Wilderness First Responder class a few years ago. Very good class and I highly reconmend it to anyone who spends much time in the woods. Priceless IMO.

cpr mask
    headlamp
    electrolyte replacement powder (mix with water and drink)
    Sam splint

There are some pretty nice first aid kits that you can buy as well. I bought one and then added all of the things that I thought I'd need that weren't included. For each trip I take I adjust the size and contents of my kit to fit the trip.

I'm sure I'll think of more later but this is what I can think of now....Also, I took a Wilderness First Responder class a few years ago. Very good class and I highly reconmend it to anyone who spends much time in the woods. Priceless IMO.

Don't forget to bring some quick clot, this stuff works great for extreme bleeding, and most times don't need to use tourniquet so you don't risk losing limb or whatever...for those of you gettin' in scuffles with big bears....K

Default one more

I forgot to mention that I added saline solution to my kit this year. Even if you don't wear contacts, it is a great cleaning solution for your eyes. I got some copper dust (I assume an accidental powder blast would be similar) in my eyes a few years back when I was doing a plumbing job...hopefully that will be the only time I ever have to visit the emergency room. They rinsed it out with saline and I was good to go! I know carry a bottle in my work first aid kit too!

some dental floss and a needle should be in there also.

Mine no longer goes out with a set of tweezers. I like multiple pain medications so they can be rotated or combo'd if need be.

Quick question. About pain meds how do you get the serious pain meds? Will a doctor supply it if you explain what you will be doing or will the good first aid kits come with it? I was just thinking of the starting a list for the first aid kit. We will be floating for moose in sept of 08 so i have a lot of time but i think it is time to start listing things out.

I have some Oxycodone left from a surgury I had in Feb. I have about 5 tablets left so I will put them into the kit. I will try to get the doc. to get me some good antibiotics and maybe some more pain meds. The big word is try.

The last time I tried I simply explained to the Doc what I wanted the pills for and he was willing to prescribe a good broad spectrum antibiotic but he absolutely refused to write me a script for any kind of pain meds. But it would never hurt to at least ask next time you are at the Doc.

Another item to add that may be very valuable is a large syringe, similar in size to the one they give when you get your wisdom teeth removed. Fill the syringe with clean water and some betadine to flush out deep lacerations to remove debris help stave off infections. Shouldn't take up very much space in the kit.

Default Insect sting allergies

Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    One more thing to add, an Epi-pen you may not have been allergic last time you were stung, but that means next to nothing about the next time. This is exactly what happened to me, 45 years of getting stung intermittently took it's toll and now I'm allergic. Turns out, my allergy is not to all wasp or bee's but one brand of yellow jacket with a particular protein, but again that could change next time I'm stung.
    Mark.
    Claritin is also a good thing to have along for bug problems. Some folks can go into shock as a result of a beesting, as was mentioned.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I assume tampons are used as a compress? How many do you bring and do they work well? Are you using them in some other capacity?

Seem like they'd make a perfect compress.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast