Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar vs. Sow

Default Boar vs. Sow

Ok, it was mentioned in another thread, so ok guys. How do YOU tell the difference?

You get real close and see if you can milk the teats, if you can its a sow. If it starts to get a little happy and gives you a surprise then it is a boar.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would like to think that I can tell based on the size/shape of the head, however I've been surprised on more than one occasion when I was sure the bear was a boar, only to get to the bear and find there were no boy parts. To be perfectly honest, I don't have a problem with killing a sow (without cubs of course), so I'm not all that critical/scrutinizing when evaluating a bear as to whether its a boar or sow.

There are a lot of different characteristics you need to look at to tell the difference between a boar and a sow. Brown/grizzly bears are a lot easier than black bears. Mature bears are easier to tell than young ones.

Sows have a more gentle look to them and boars have that I am the ruler of this block look to them.
    Sows heads are softer looking and boars are big and blocky. Look at the slope going from a sows nose up to her forehead, it is nice and gentle. Boars have a line running straight back from there nose and then just below their eyes it goes straight up.

Boars have larger front legs and throw their weight around like a body builder that has spent a lot of time working his upper body. Sows have slender front legs and tend to be more graceful in their movements.

They both taste the same.

Was going to be a smart***** but bronco beat me to it. Usually in the head and its size and shape. Sows seem to be more petite but big sows sometimes are a big harder to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I don't have a problem with killing a sow (without cubs of course), so I'm not all that critical/scrutinizing when evaluating a bear as to whether its a boar or sow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    They both taste the same.
    This thread was started in reference to another thread on the upcoming Kenai Peninsula brown bear registration hunt. It sounds like they're going to close it once 8 sows are taken, so one member was encouraging people to be as selective as possible in taking boars so that the hunt can stay open longer and a higher total # of bears can be taken. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit on the # of bears if most hunters take boars (I have to assume there is), but in this case it sounds like being selective based on sex might matter.

All of that being said, if I see a sow on the Kenai Peninsula and I have a tag in hand, I might have a hard time passing up the opportunity.

Somewhere on this forum is the information on this subject from Joe Want (In my opinion the most knowledgeable Brown Bear man alive at this time). There is also a very good video done by the Alaska Professional Hunters Assoc. for the Canadian Professional Hunters Assoc. I think it is available from ADF&G. and APHA and CPHA.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Somewhere on this forum is the information on this subject from Joe Want (In my opinion the most knowledgeable Brown Bear man alive at this time). There is also a very good video done by the Alaska Professional Hunters Assoc. for the Canadian Professional Hunters Assoc. I think it is available from ADF&G. and APHA and CPHA.
    Joe is no doubt the subject matter expert on bears and that video is available on the store in this forum and at fish and game on their website.

This video, "Take another look," I think it's called is often available to borrow on a short term basis from the F&G offices
    at least Kodiak office has a few

Tho they would probably encourage folks to buy their own, if they have time, as it sometimes does not come back from the borrower

I found one, (maybe it was on this site?, at the store?) and am glad I own it, is worth watching again, prior to your hunt
    has a ton of examples to judge,....might surprise ya, all the tips they give, how easy it is to miss on some of them
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Brian, right now the number is 9 with another kill being investigated. They are trying to determine time of death. Could drop to 8 if they decide bear was killed this year. Also note that you have three days before you must report.

Good luck to everybody and please shoot boars.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    Also note that you have three days before you must report.

Good luck to everybody and please shoot boars. Fred
    The reality is that Resident hunters are going to shoot the first Brown Bear that they see that is not (hopefully) with cubs. This hunt could be closed with-in just a very few days. My guess is 60 to 80 bears get tipped over the first day and 17 to 21 of those will be sows. This is the POORman's dream hunt, but it will be very shortly lived. I think it will be closed by Oct 5'th. Good hunting men and women.........wait as long as you can to report your harvest.

So been thinking about this thread ever since I got a PM from another member and have been trying to think of some helpful information.. There are lots of good info on this forum on sex determination and I hope some more folks chime in. My addition to this thread will be a little different but the simple truth is dont shoot a small bear.. IMHO it is very difficult to sex id smaller bears... Try to stick to the larger bears... the bigger males will have all the classic tell tale signs..blocky head....long more square face and snout...look for scars on the face.... sows just seem squatty with a shorter neck and shorter face... I will try to find the adfg pics that I thought were on their websight...

I am curious about this hunt and how they worded the whole "reproductive age sows" so lets hope they all have cubs with them..

Just loaded up some 260Gr Partitions and ran some patches down the 375.......

Default Boar vs. Sow

I too am looking the hunt, particularly using my lever gun. Pulled this boolit from the hide of my recent black bear.

Buffalo Bore 430gr.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348201434.989560.jpg
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

for those interested in growth of bears and such and comparing males amd females here is a pretty good report....a little dry but good overall info

http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin...lenn_Vol_4.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    for those interested in growth of bears and such and comparing males amd females here is a pretty good report....a little dry but good overall info
    http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin...lenn_Vol_4.pdf

Well, this was interesting, at least to me.

"Differences in size are probably influenced
    by genetics, time of birth, nutrition, parental care,
    sibling competition, and many other factors. Two
    examples serve to illustrate these differences. The
    weights of 3 sibling males (80, 82, 83) ages 1.5 years
    were 27.3 kg, 31.8 kg, and 48.2 kg, respectively. Their
    respective total lengths were 116 cm, 123 cm, and 145
    cm, and heights at shoulder were 69 cm, 74 cm, and 78
    cm."

great article. just hard for me to read, had hope for more info from the experts on the forum abut the differenfces between bores and sows. great info though from all. had hoped to here from ninefooter and others.
    wes.
    Well, this was interesting, at least to me.

"Differences in size are probably influenced
    by genetics, time of birth, nutrition, parental care,
    sibling competition, and many other factors. Two
    examples serve to illustrate these differences. The
    weights of 3 sibling males (80, 82, 83) ages 1.5 years
    were 27.3 kg, 31.8 kg, and 48.2 kg, respectively. Their
    respective total lengths were 116 cm, 123 cm, and 145
    cm, and heights at shoulder were 69 cm, 74 cm, and 78
    cm."

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    great article. just hard for me to read, had hope for more info from the experts on the forum abut the differenfces between bores and sows. great info though from all. had hoped to here from ninefooter and others.
    wes.

Sadly on this forum, "The think they knows", are just ankle'biters too the highly skilled. What is sad is they have lost (For everyone) the chance to learn from the Masters.

I imagine that ninefoot, BRWNBR, and the others among them are out in the field right now putting their knowledge into practice. I'm sure they'll chime in when they're around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast