Thread: Hunting Advise

Default Hunting Advise

Hello Everyone. Im a soldier in the Army. I recently arrived in Alaska this winter. I am from Oregon and have hunted there but never here in Alaska. I am asking anyone who has experience here in Alaska to give me some pointers to make my first moose and caribou hunt easyer. Where is a good place for Hunting moose with the use of a ATV. Same question for Caribou. To hunt with i have a .300 Ultra Mag. I believe its a powerful enough weapon. Oh yeah Im stationed at Fort Richardson. Im willing to travel but not across Alaska this is one huge state. Alright i apreciate any help.

SGT Ryan Irish

First thing I would recommend is to use your ATV as a mode of transportation to a hunt site and park it. do the rest on foot until you get your critter. Its seen all the time, folks tear up and down trails, stop and glass for a minute and then say that there are no animals in this state.

Theres alot of good moose spots left, just see above. As for caribou trip by ATV, your only option is to travel across the the state to chicken, or you could lie and put in for the nelchina hunt.

Your 300 is fine for up here.

Good luck and learning is half the fun.

As a fellow soldier i will recommend two things you need to do before you get serious about this.

1) Read the regulations with someone who understand them, they are confusing. Find someone who can help you decipher them

2) Talk to someone who has moose hunted before. It always sounds easy until you realize the real work ahead of you. Let someone elses experience help you avoid the mistakes they probably made their first time out.

The Army loves to deploy around huntin' season...look what happen to Ft.Wainwright last year...Involuntary extension in the sandbox! If you get to hunt it will probably be the first year and you'll be a Non-res. that means no sheep, griz, or goat. then probably deployed for the rest...I am here in Iraq right now (Air Force) believe me I know, couldn't use my moose draw permit last year for the Dalton HWy 'cause I had to go to Army CST....good luck

K-

How true that is. I was able to sneak in my black bear last year before deployment first year in AK, and now get to sit here in Fallujah with my boys until next year. I am just glad the sheep and goat tags i drew get to carry over until i get back to hunt otherwise i would probably be out there ending the war by myself right now trying to make it back in time to hunt!

Default THE Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Pupchow View Post
    K-

How true that is. I was able to sneak in my black bear last year before deployment first year in AK, and now get to sit here in Fallujah with my boys until next year. I am just glad the sheep and goat tags i drew get to carry over until i get back to hunt otherwise i would probably be out there ending the war by myself right now trying to make it back in time to hunt!

That's how we could end this entire conflict....offer all the GI's fantastic draw permits with lowered guide fees with a finite end date....there would be some serious butt kicking goin on within days ...desire for great hunting and fishing opportunities probably rank right up there with patriotism across the board...good idea.

(This is kind of tongue in cheek...then again not...take care of yourself guys and come home safe to hunt with all of us once again, thanks for your service)

Yeah Pup, I feel for ya, just keep you head down so you can make it back safe to hunt another day...my Army buds here just found out they get to ride this train for another three months....take care ....K

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.irish View Post
    Hello Everyone. Im a soldier in the Army. I recently arrived in Alaska this winter. I am from Oregon and have hunted there but never here in Alaska. I am asking anyone who has experience here in Alaska to give me some pointers to make my first moose and caribou hunt easyer. Where is a good place for Hunting moose with the use of a ATV. Same question for Caribou. To hunt with i have a .300 Ultra Mag. I believe its a powerful enough weapon. Oh yeah Im stationed at Fort Richardson. Im willing to travel but not across Alaska this is one huge state. Alright i apreciate any help.

SGT Ryan Irish
    Hi Ryan,

Drop me a private message and I'd be happy to help you get started on this. There are lots of opportunities here, and lots of ways to lose money and come up with nothing. You'll also find that most folks here are pretty helpful to new folks, and this website is a good example of that.

Drop me a line and let's go have coffee somewhere!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hi Ryan,

... You'll also find that most folks here are pretty helpful to new folks, and this website is a good example of that...

-Mike
    That sure is good to hear. After 12 years of trying I got my assignment to Alaska and I can't wait to hunt and fish there. The adjustment from whitetail deer in Wisconsin to Alaskan game is going to be something else.

Being on this site is a good start. As others said, the folks here are pretty helpful. I am a coastie and have been in Alaska for a year and a half. I have yet to get more than a little blacktail and then be run off by the 3 brownies than came to the dinner bell. I have spent alot of time in the field. So much in fact, that when the seasons come up I have to be real careful to keep my wife from feeling like a widow. If I had to do it all over again:

I would have hit this website alot harder and alot earlier.
    I would have paid more attention to drawings and registration permits.
    I would have got into bear baiting sooner.
    I also would have invested in an ATV or saved more money for bush flights.

I have a year left and plan to come back to Alaska in the future. Most important lessons learned:

Nothing about hunting in Alaska is easy. I have never worked so hard or empoyed more survival techniques or training in my life. However, every time I have gone out has given one more memorable expierience that many hunters will never be able to understand unless they have hunted in AK.
    There is no such thing as a day hunting trip. I pack to spend up to two nights in the field every time I go out.

I learned the hard way and if I can make another persons expieriences more fruitful in their limited time then so be it. Gotta go..the blackies are on the move and I am off to set up a bait. Good luck and God's speed.