Thread: Anybody willing to have a newb join them?

Default Anybody willing to have a newb join them?

Moved to Anchorage from TX last year. Did a bunch of duck hunting in TX and AR, am a responsible/safe hunter, but really had no idea there was such good bird hunting up here! Obviously, it's a lot different here and eager to learn areas and techniques for up here. I have neither a boat nor a dog. Will pay for gas and whatever if you can let me tag along. I'm in Anchorage and don't mind driving north or south.

I'm new to the forum, so I don't think I can receive PM's...

Thanks!!!

Roger

Welcome to the forum. There is alot of good info on here. I am sure you will be able to find someone. I have yet to hunt either, or do I have a dog or boat. Hoping to remedy these issue before next season though. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. I will keep you in mind, although I will warn you that I always think I'm going to get out more than I actually do. I can give you some free advice right now: (remember that you get what you pay for )

Duck hunting from the road system without a boat is TOUGH! Be patient, and don't expect to walk out start shooting limits this weekend. Even though most hunters I know really don't hunt for ducks, there are still a TON of duck hunters all vying for a piece of the limited duck hunting area within a reasonable drive from Anchorage. Most people go to the Palmer Hayflats. It's great, because it holds a lot of ducks, but you won't believe how many other hunters there are out there. I don't like going there anymore, because it is so easy to lose birds without a dog, and I'm still trying to break my dog of her gun shyness.

My best advice would be to go out and explore some country. Make sure duck hunting is legal where ever you go, of course, and BE SAFE! But it's a win-win. You may not see any ducks, but you'll see some great country. Anyway, hope that helps a little.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Saw a couple threads on here with some arguing that people aren't willing to help take people out and show them how to hunt in AK while others strongly disagree. As a result of posting here, I had the opportunity to knock down some birds and experience the Hayflats a couple times this season. WAAAAY different experience than what I was used to and there's no way I would have been able to figure it out on my own.

Thanks to akblackdawg for showing me the ropes and I look forward to seeing many of you in the field in the future! It actually got me motivated to get a dog, (which I'm picking up after the holidays) as that is the biggest piece of the puzzle in my opinion. You can hunt without a boat, but man is it tough to hunt without a dog!!!!

In short, this forum is a great wealth of knowledge, and aside from someone that was at the Hayflats Refuge boat launch last weekend that was a rude *****, everyone I've encountered has been great and eager to share their knowledge and pride in this wonderful state.

Keep blastin!