Thread: Canoe Storage Needed

Default Canoe Storage Needed

I am in the process of buying a 19 foot Grumman canoe and I need a place to store it in the Fairbanks/North Pole area. Does anyone know of a place were I can store it for a fee. I would even consider paying someone to let me store it at the home (backyard) or place of business. Thanks…

Check around at storage sites, you can probably keep it in their yard. I pay 20/month to store a small trailer in Kenai, in their yard. It's got a fence and barded wire at the top, as well as a few cameras, which makes me feel better.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I appreciate the advice. However, I have called about every storage facility in the Fairbanks area and since it is not on a trailer, no one wants to take the responsibility for it. Still looking....

Get in touch with the Royal Ranger (1 Assembly ) bunch of great guys I bet they could help

I have considered this request for several days now. Perhaps even a week or two. I have a fair amount of land and am rural (South of Fairbanks, toward Denali about 20 miles from downtown).

My pole barn has a fair amount of lumber in the loft, and the lower level is taken up by everything from fuel tanks, snowmobiles, sleds, bicycles, other materials, etc., and I am bringing home (knock on wood) a 19' sq. stern of my own this week, which I hope to suspend from loft joists in that same already-cramped barn.

A couple of years ago our area was one of many that had some burglaries; several homes in my immediate area got 'hit,' but ours did not (most folks of the sticky-fingered persuasion in this specific area likely know, through the grape vine or otherwise, that to enter my home/property for purposes of -ANY- sort of ill intent, could likely be a one-way trip.. But not all would-be thieves are necessarily local enough to know about such serious deterents).

All of those issues are reasons, along with some others, that I have hesitated to offer storage here.

Ideally, if it could simply be covered by a tarp, inverted, hull side up, across two or more saw horses (to be provided by yourself), out in the rear of the property away from the road, etc., it might be something that could be provided for here.

We are private persons, and traffic here is at a minimum. With the exception of my neighbors passing by; some of whom apparently have difficulty differentiating between a freeway and a rural gravel road where kids and dogs play...

Liability for others' possessions isn't something that I typically jump up and down in glee about accepting, but I have allowed folks to store more here for less in the past.. Sometimes to my dissatisfaction on those limited occasions when they've failed to meet their commitments (i.e., leaving a VW van here for over 2 years when it was initially parked for what was supposed to be 6 months, and I needed it moved to do some dirt work with a dozer, etc.)

That said, we could consider assisting you in your request. We'd want to know how often you'd be accessing your boat, what your expectations are, etc..

ruffle
    Last edited by ruffle; 05-03-2007 at 10:40.

Rufle, I understand that you have to take a leap of faith to make an offer like this, namely when you do not even know me, and I greatly appreciate your kind offer. However, I have found another very kind person in the Fairbanks area that is now storing my canoe. I also thank everyone else for helping out.

>>>I have found another very kind person in the Fairbanks area that is now storing my canoe.<<<

Excellent. Glad that things worked out for you..

ruffle