Thread: Akto?

Default Akto?

I've spent a lot of money this year on gear! More than I ever anticipated. I thought I could skate by with an old NorthFace Tadpole for my up-coming Chugach sheep and Kodiak goat hunt but this wind and rain and comments made in some threads had me more than a little worried. The young gentleman at Barney's convinced me I needed the Akto. It's only money right? I have to break it to my bride. Maybe some good reviews might keep me out of jail.

Take a look at the Terra Nova Laser tents. Same basic design but they have single poles on the ends instead of the corner poles. Did a ton of research on tents in the last 5 years and settled on the TN Laser Comp 1 and 2. The center end pole design keeps the ceiling off your face when setup in less than ideal conditions. A few years ago AMH had them. Found mine online for cheaper during the offseason.

i have two atko's and some of hillebergs other tents. the atko is not suited for the type of conditions you're experiencing there right now. it's a "three" season tent, not 4. get a four season tent.

I will play devils advocate on this one. I have had a Northface Tadpole since the mid 1990's, long before it was actually called a Tadpole. The tent has seen it all and never failed me. Heavy rain, wind, and snow have not been a problem. If you want to get a high speed lightweight tent then by all means go for it, however I would not be concerned in the least taking the Northface out.

We were on the top of chugach during the big wind storm on the 4th with a nalo,2 poles busted and we were in a 3 man bivey.Talked to some guys that were close bye in a pair of akto's and they said the stood through it.Hard to believe a single pole held through those winds.Wish we were in a pair of them.Would have added a extra two days hunting instead of it spent to hike out and back in with back up tents!

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    i have two atko's and some of hillebergs other tents. the atko is not suited for the type of conditions you're experiencing there right now. it's a "three" season tent, not 4. get a four season tent.
    The akto is a 4 season tent, according to their website. I know all the guys at barneys and they use aktos on there hunts, the most recent one involved life threatening conditions, lots of snow and extreme wind around 80 mph.

I did 2 solo backpack Hunts at Adak using my Atko. It probably saved my life in a bad storm one night. Praying all night long did not hurt either. Need to use long tent pegs like snow stakes to keep the tent on the ground.

I am a big guy and love my Atko. You can get a carbon fiber pole to save weight. You can also put both poles in for added strength. Christmas is coming up and titanium ground stakes are a good gift for you. Because of my snoring (now I have a Cpap) my hunting buddies went to single person tents. All three of us chose different tents to begin with. I have the Atko, another the Unna, and the other guy had an old NF tent. He now has an Atko.

In a huge windstorm I was able use my walking sticks as long tent stakes to make sure the tent wasn't going anywhere.

I have the enan I'll sell you half
    Price. Almost brand new. Just don't ask me why I'm selling it....lol cause then I'll feel guilty for ruining someone's life!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212