Thread: I got the bug.

Default I got the bug.

I have decided that iwant to try a holographic sight. On what. Well I want to try one a shotgun, a 10-22 and a 308. So with that in mind will any of the cheaper models work or do I have to spring for one of the Eotec's up front to see I like them. I am looking for advise here, I might not even get one, so pile on the ideas. Thanks.

My experience has proven that you get what you pay for in the long run. Yeah there's the argument that you can buy two or three for the price of just the one (doesn't have to be the most expensive) just the one with the best reviews for the value I am looking for. If the price of one saves me from buying two or three of the others thats what I'd do, also what happens if I were to buy the cheaper one with lesser reviews and have something happen to when I am protecting myself, family, friends or that once in a lifetime animal crosses my sights and they're effed up.

Slightly different subject, but I am trying to Man'up for a set of $308.00 Troy Industries folding sights.

I just got an Eotech 512 because of the 1 MOA dot, much smaller and useful for longer range shooting. I mounted it on a couple different .22's and it worked great. It is now on my house gun, a 300 Blackout AR-15 and it will hit everything I put it on...out to maybe 150 yds and farther with bigger than a coon target. I'm very impressed and it is worth the money...look on Amazon for pretty good prices.

I'm thinking about using it on a Ruger Hawkeye in .358 Win, but it won't fit the Ruger ring mounts.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Low rider. If you search the internet you can find, I did, a replacement for the ruger rings that is designed for the weaver style attachments. I am going to put the holo I choose on a Ruger compact in 308. The idea is a very light rifle. I am still thinking I will get something cheap. I just want one to shoot with for awhile and see if I really like the holo sights or not. For one thing I wear tri-focals and they can really screwup a sight picture with very slight movement of the head and I am wondering if holo's will even work for me.

Thanks to all for the replies. I agree you get what you pay for but I am having a hard time saying I'll spring for a $500 object that might turn out to be wrong for me. Then sell it for a 100 dollar loss when I can buy a cheaper one an see if I like the system and see if it will work for me and then buy the quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Slightly different subject, but I am trying to Man'up for a set of $308.00 Troy Industries folding sights.
    WOW! Where do you buy your sights?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

In my experience I've found all cheap dot sights (regardless of type) to be 100 % junk especially when mounted on rifles larger than 223. Recoil will destroy the cheap crap.

I've used EOTech, Aimpoint with great success.

If you just want to try and see if you like it, or can use it, you could buy an elcheapo. It may last long enough for you to determine if it's something you want to invest in. Good dots are around $500 and up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    My experience has proven that you get what you pay for in the long run. Yeah there's the argument that you can buy two or three for the price of just the one (doesn't have to be the most expensive) just the one with the best reviews for the value I am looking for. If the price of one saves me from buying two or three of the others thats what I'd do, also what happens if I were to buy the cheaper one with lesser reviews and have something happen to when I am protecting myself, family, friends or that once in a lifetime animal crosses my sights and they're effed up.
    I agree. Start with what you'll end up with. Get the good stuff, no regrets.

redale, something to ponder here. Most if not all the mid to higher end Halo sights are near indestructible. I would start by trying to find a sweet deal on either gunbroker, ebay or any classified site/pages. If you want I can do some of the leg work for you as I am in the search for a Nikon, Leupold, Burris or upper end/quality EER varible power (possibly fixed 4x) scope for my new T/C Encore 204 ruger.

Sniper Appreciate the offer and if you happen to find some I'd loke to hear about it. But don't go to any extra trouble. I've got a 3x9 Lupe on it now and I am thinking I might be better off waiting until I can find one to try rather than buyibg right now.
    As for yoyr search I'll look in the safe and see if I still have a Lupe EER fixed 4x. If I have not sold it I truely can't recall maybe we can work out something for it.

Man that'd amazing. the Varible power's prices are hard to get approval from the Wifey to buy. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'M CURED, NO MORE BUG. Went to Sportsman last night ready to man up and pay the money. They had a eotech 512. Wow. Why I dont have one.

1. I think it weights as much as the 10-22 I was thinking of putting on first.

2. My buddy reminded me that his Lupe with lighted reticle goes out after we have been out hunting in cold weather ( 0 or lower ) BUT he still has crosshairs. If that happens due to cold with holo or red dot I have no aiming point, and

3. When I looked through the eotech all I saw was this huge fuzzy blob in the sight. That wont work. Salesperson said that was due to my glasses and he had no problem but others with glasses have had it.

So guess the old 3x9 will live on the rifle a lot longer now.

Sniper, thanks for your PM. I looked this morning and found the scope I was thinking of but it turns out to be an old Redfield 2.5x. Sorry if I got your hopes up. Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    WOW! Where do you buy your sights?
    Now that redale has decided no go.................I'll ask where should I buy TROY INDUSTRY sights........???