Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: looking for storage hangar space

  1. #1

    Default looking for storage hangar space

    Does anyone have a 20' x 21' x 8' corner for storage of an aircraft over the winter (not regularly flying over the winter). Looking for someone that does not normally rent out space that can save the space for when ever I find the weather to get my plane back. Am looking into Birchwood, wolf lake, wasilla, palmer, Kenai, Homer, soldotna, Gulkana, Talkeetna, basicly any air port with a nice long paved strip. Merril is likely out as hangar space there tends to be cost prohibitive.

  2. #2
    Member AK-HUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    Probably won't get cheaper than this.


    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/3269842517.html

  3. #3

    Default

    THats actually pretty dirt cheap, thank you for the reference. It is highly unlikely I will get my plane out of sitka before spring but just in case I will give this guy a call. Average heated hangar for a plane as small as mine is 300-400$.

  4. #4

    Default

    Oh?? You get that Pitts up to AK (Sitka from from where again?)? Lets see some pics of that bad boy! How was the trip...I'm dying to hear the details.

  5. #5

    Default

    Send me a pm with your email. I have not got a ton of support in my endevors on this site so im apprehensive about posting pics. The plane is still in sitka, I am trying to get it back to south central, just have to wait for a good weather high pressure day, but it has to be nice the entire way. Its going to be tricky because I have to buy a commercial plane ticket one day, fly out the next morning and would not be able to fly out till noon time the next day, would have to have a really nice high pressure system to trust the weather to hold out that long.

    Plus right now I am not qualified to fly the plane, I need to fly down there with my instructor and knock out like 10 hrs of duel just doing full stop landings. Sitka does not get that cold so I could get the training in anytime. Rudder peddals are most comfortable flying with just socks on so flying up in the middle of winter would be rough but im sure they make neoprene insulated socks to wear of course you cant carry any survival gear. Will need the front seat for 2-3 6 gal jerry cans to fill up at cape yakataga and then on to merle k smith. Unfortunatly my plane is certified so I cant rig up an inroute ferry tank without significant cost run up which leaves the whitehorse route out of the question, unless beaver creek is a really nice and long strip.

    Looks like there is hangar space around so if I get lucky I can get the plane out.

  6. #6

    Default

    Oh come on, post the story here - prove all the naysayers wrong!
    How was the trip up? How was the border crossing?
    We want to see pictures of your new steed! What's your range? 300nm?
    You should fly to Juneau (90nm from Sitka), then up Taku clear customs and fuel up in Atlin (115nm) or Whitehorse (200nm), then fuel up again in Haines junction (75nm) then clear customs in Northway (182nm) and top off from the jugs - actually 40-mile air might still meet you up there with their fuel truck - at least they used to do that, so give them a call. Or it's another 35 nm from Northway to Tok. Then you have 110 miles to Gulkana for fuel and another 120 miles to Wasilla.
    Your Sitka to Yakutat leg is over 200nm (following gliding distance to shore). Then you have 93nm to Yakataga to top off from jugs then another 106nm to Cordova municipal (CKU) airport - no fuel at PACV. Then you have another 150 nm to Gulkana.

    Take the inland route - Southeast airports get fogged in without warning this time of the year and you don't have many options with that plane (i.e. land on a beach and sit it out).

  7. #7

    Default

    Here is a pic,pitts.JPG

    Looking at sky vector, white horse is the only long paved strip 230 nm out of northway. What is the condition of haines jnct and burwash? Little weary of landing on dirt if I can help it but I will have to land at cape yakataga anyways so I guess it will depend on which strips have the best quality so I dont tear my plane up. The weather on the coast is a challenge but I dont know of any weather cams once you cross the boarder (other than weather reporting at whitehorse) but thats alot of unknown inbetween, unless there are canadian weathercams taht you can get an app for on an iphone?

    Once I make it to northway my dad can bring me fuel if I dont have enough to make it to tok, I am really hoping I can get 3 6 gal jerry cans in the front seat and just strap them in. The plane has a MAX range of 230 nm but my instructor only wants to go 230 sm before a fuel up. How is the weather in towards white horse? The big challenge will just be getting out of sitka and Juneau.

    Since I will have my permentant registration by then the inside route will be an option, if we had got out the weekend I bought it then we had to do the coast because the beauocracy brought on by the US govt, the hassle of eapis actually reduces safety by nudging people to the coastal route.

  8. #8

    Default

    Very nice. I know of a couple of hangars where corners are available. Only problem is they are on a 2000' grass/gravel strip. Let me know if you get in a bind and need a spot.

  9. #9

    Default

    1800' is the bare minimum distance my instructor would land a pitts in as long as the strip is compacted and in near perfect condition for grass/turf. Unfortunatly the pitts cant handle rough run ways so it does limit my options.

    In fact tearing the plane down and Uhauling it is still tenativly on the table if its not out of sitka by early june, I dident spend that kind of money to loose all of next summer lol.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Very nice. I know of a couple of hangars where corners are available. Only problem is they are on a 2000' grass/gravel strip. Let me know if you get in a bind and need a spot.
    I'm looking for static space for a Cessna 180 for about 4 months starting around 1 Nov. Can you give me contact info?

  11. #11

    Default

    Cool Pitts!
    I don't think anyone one here thought you were actually for real, but just trolling away.
    Anyways good luck with the plane and don't be afraid of the grass - much easier to land a taildragger than on pavement.
    Here are the Canadian wx cams if you choose that route:
    http://www.metcam.navcanada.ca/hb/index.jsp?lang=e

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKClimber View Post
    Cool Pitts!
    I don't think anyone one here thought you were actually for real, but just trolling away.
    Anyways good luck with the plane and don't be afraid of the grass - much easier to land a taildragger than on pavement.
    Here are the Canadian wx cams if you choose that route:
    http://www.metcam.navcanada.ca/hb/index.jsp?lang=e
    Indeed I am lagit, flying is my passion, I was hoping to get more super cub flying in this summer with my dad but the weather was just aweful. Though I did get a sweet flight in the giles 202 over the fair one saturday, it was a busy day at the fair im sure alot of people saw us.

    That refernece for the hangar space panned out, thank you, so now I have an alternative place to park my plane, am looking at the 6th now but weather is not looking good. Got some alaska bushwheels 5.2 gal fuel bladders in case my instructor has to set down at cape yakataga. I also got the permenant registration yay. So now we are just waiting for weather ........ and waiting and waiting lol.

    I am going to test one of the fuel bladders in my truck, going to suburban propare to get 5 gal and just drive around with it and see if it evolves fumes. I will transfer the fuel to one of my parents 5 gal cans and wash it out so my instructor can get on a commercial flight with it. I hate playing the guess the weather game the day before because you have to buy commercial flights the day before.

    The hangar that I was able to find is for storage only so hopefully I can find something eventually where I can move it in and out regularly but at least I have a place to put it so I can bring it home.

  13. #13
    Member IndyCzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
    Posts
    351

    Default

    I bought 4 of those "gas cans" from Alaska Bush Wheels...no fume issue...just make sure you don't get them cross threaded, and buy the little valve that is optional to control the flow if you lay it on the wing to refuel...I use them for everything from ferry fuel thru canada (since gas is not available in Northway) to spare gas on my snowmachines and 4 wheelers...I have used plummers tape on occasion, to make sure of a good seal where they are taking a beating off road...

    ....I just want to say "Good luck, we're all counting on you"...

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    I bought 4 of those "gas cans" from Alaska Bush Wheels...no fume issue...just make sure you don't get them cross threaded, and buy the little valve that is optional to control the flow if you lay it on the wing to refuel...I use them for everything from ferry fuel thru canada (since gas is not available in Northway) to spare gas on my snowmachines and 4 wheelers...I have used plummers tape on occasion, to make sure of a good seal where they are taking a beating off road...

    ....I just want to say "Good luck, we're all counting on you"...
    Are there any issues with cross contamination, like getting a little snowmachine gas in your av gas or do you wash the container out. I unfortunatly did not get the valve attachment as I did not know about it and its too late to reorder, maybe stodders has them?

  15. #15

    Default

    One thing is if you used any flammable fuel in those bladders, you won't be able to fly commercial carrier with them.
    Airlines specifically forbid it. I would make sure NOT to use them before the flight to make sure there is no fuel residue and the tags are still on it. Otherwise you'll have an unpleasant surprise in Sitka if the TSA confiscates them.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Here is a pic,pitts.JPG

    Looking at sky vector, white horse is the only long paved strip 230 nm out of northway. What is the condition of haines jnct and burwash? Little weary of landing on dirt if I can help it but I will have to land at cape yakataga anyways so I guess it will depend on which strips have the best quality so I dont tear my plane up. The weather on the coast is a challenge but I dont know of any weather cams once you cross the boarder (other than weather reporting at whitehorse) but thats alot of unknown inbetween, unless there are canadian weathercams taht you can get an app for on an iphone?

    Once I make it to northway my dad can bring me fuel if I dont have enough to make it to tok, I am really hoping I can get 3 6 gal jerry cans in the front seat and just strap them in. The plane has a MAX range of 230 nm but my instructor only wants to go 230 sm before a fuel up. How is the weather in towards white horse? The big challenge will just be getting out of sitka and Juneau.

    Since I will have my permentant registration by then the inside route will be an option, if we had got out the weekend I bought it then we had to do the coast because the beauocracy brought on by the US govt, the hassle of eapis actually reduces safety by nudging people to the coastal route.
    A REALLY neat airplane, rppearso. I have only a few hours in a Pitts, but every one of them was a joy. You'll enjoy it, I know. Good luck with it !!!!!

  17. #17
    Member IndyCzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
    Posts
    351

    Default

    I concur...don't put any fuel in them until you get there...residual fumes will permeate the cabin air once there is differential pressure in the commercial airliner...very doubtful they would allow them to fly...TSA, airline or ramp agent...

    As far as cross contamination between 100LL and premium or even regular gas is insignificant to worry about... I always use all the fuel of a specific type and drain the bladders as much as possible... The small amount of fuel that is left over has never been an issue but never calculated PPM... I use the plummers tape to minimize and small leaks due to bouncing...hope it helps...good luck

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    A REALLY neat airplane, rppearso. I have only a few hours in a Pitts, but every one of them was a joy. You'll enjoy it, I know. Good luck with it !!!!!
    I am excited but even though I have the registration now it does not feel like I own a plane as it is still so far away. Wish there was a way for me to work from home half of every week as I would build a hangar home on wolf lake that way my plane was in the garage. But that commute every day woudl wear me out.

    I have heard that birchwood may be expanding so even though it would not be a hangar home I may be able to get in on a lease for a raw piece of land. Of course they dont like people sitting on leases without building so I would have to be in a financial position to build as soon as thoes leases opened up as they would go like hot cakes and the prices of the resulting hangars would be cost prohibitive right along with the rest of them out there.

    If not wasilla is a nice air port and is far enough out that the costs have not seem to run up too high.

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    What kind of airplane? I may be able to help. Can I call U?

  20. #20
    Member Sierra Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilotwriter View Post
    What kind of airplane? I may be able to help. Can I call U?
    I see you're trying to hook up with folks that are looking for hangar space. I've got a 182 at BCV - what are you renting?

    PM me . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •