• 9mm
      • 45ACP
      • 357Mag
      • 44Mag
      • 500SW

• rifles:
      • 223(5.56 NATO)
      • 308win(7.62x51 NATO)

What do you recommend for case-trimmers and neck prep devices?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Hi guys,

I hand-load these calibers :
    • pistols:
      • 9mm
      • 45ACP
      • 357Mag
      • 44Mag
      • 500SW

• rifles:
      • 223(5.56 NATO)
      • 308win(7.62x51 NATO)

What do you recommend for case-trimmers and neck prep devices?
    Thanks!
    I've used a bunch of them, but Forster is my first choice. However most any will suffice for the cartridges you mention. I'll add that most handgun cartridges(or any straight wall case for that matter) will rarely, if ever, need trimming.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/269...l-case-trimmer.

Forster has any kind of add-on you might want to prep the inside or outside of the neck, though most time is better spent shooting than prepping IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

if your doing large quanties of 223 and 308 get the Dillon power trimmer. bit expensive up front but it sure is fast and easy and has cut down on my swearing by 65%

Have to admit, I don't end up doing a lot of trimming as I am primarily a Necksizer,...
    which seems to preclude much working of your brass

but, at the starting gate, I did a fair amount of research here on the forums and elsewhere, and came up with this unit by Wilson/SInclair

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...R-PLATFORM-KIT

and it works really well

is a manual unit, so might not be the Cadillac if you're doing a lot of trimming
    but certainly is a very nice machine, very precise results

Sinclair is an excellent company also, so "Fav" the website, you'll like it

I have heard a lot of Good Reports on Forster also,... 1 Cor's advice is probably quite a bit stronger than mine,...(just another option here)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Need Recommendation: trimmer and neck prep

I really like the looks of the Sinclair trimmer and have considered going that way. I have a Forster and don't really care for the collet style case holders. I don't get the consistency that's would like from it and if I try and speed the process up I end up locking 5-10% in with out seating it into the correct groove and wind up with a short case. This isn't a problem with all cases but certain cartridges are pretty easy to screw up because the case rim will lock down into multiple grooves depending on how tight the collet is set.

I "solved" my 6.8 SPC issues by purchasing a worlds finest trimmer for it and now I can perfectly trim 100 cases in about 15 minutes.

For me the Forster does the job for low volume and I doubt I will change real soon. For cartridges I shoot a lot (.223, 308, 6.8SPC) the WFT is worth the cost despite being cartridge family specific.

For rifles I shoot a lot, the Dillon power trimmer is by far the fastest and is very accurate. I can trim 100 cases in about 5 minutes, all within .001" It saves beaucoup time at the bench. I have the trim dies for 30-06, 308 and 30 carbine. I chuck up a 1/2" drill motor to my RCBS trimmer for everything else but 50 BMG, that has its own dedicated Lyman trimmer.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

RCBS and a ĹĒ Makita 18 volt here, been doing that forever and never any reason to change it. I follow that with a Layman 5in1 (I think they call it) de-burring tool, the gold aluminum one with an inny-outy and primer pocket ends. 50bmg and other odd-ball stuff I just chuck up in my lathe indexing off a dead-center inside the chuck.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Plus one on Dillon
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I really like the looks of the Sinclair trimmer and have considered going that way. I have a Forster and don't really care for the collet style case holders. I don't get the consistency that's would like from it and if I try and speed the process up I end up locking 5-10% in with out seating it into the correct groove and wind up with a short case. This isn't a problem with all cases but certain cartridges are pretty easy to screw up because the case rim will lock down into multiple grooves depending on how tight the collet is set.

I.

I use the Redding 2400 and I suffer from the same problem as Lujon.

Plus I hate trimming cases.

I hate trimming cases even more than I hate the Huffington Post or Daily Kos, if that is humanly possible.

In fact, I hate trimming cases so much that if Rosie ODonnel offered to dress in a bikini and trim cases for me I would hand her the cases...before plucking out my eyes so as not to contaminate my optic nerves ever again.....

Im serious. If Obummer proposed legislation mandating that all reloaders are eligible for "free" (*ahem*) case trimming as long as they pledge to move forward (Vorwarts Kamerad) into the future and vote for Him, Id put on my Young Pioneer scarf and pull the lever for Dear Leader.

Well not really. But you get themessage.

I gotta tell you the visual of that pig in a bikini, lipstick or not, almost made me puke. Do not EVER project that image again...PLEASE!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I gotta tell you the visual of that pig in a bikini, lipstick or not, almost made me puke. Do not EVER project that image again...PLEASE!!
    Is this a response to a different thread by mistake? I'm not understanding this at all.

Has anyone used L.E. Wilson's trimmer? The bench guys seem rather impressed with his products.
    http://www.lewilson.com/products.html

arthury, check back up at post #4

I found the Wilson's Trimmer w/Micrometer, in Stainless Steel, at Sinclair's Website
    a little higher price than the one you found but comes with an excellent stand,...(recommended from my perspective)
    and it kinda looks like the micrometer is different(?)

I really like mine, really precise and easy to set the micrometer for changes, really easy and smooth to trim manually
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

This it a little to rich for my blood but the bench rest and super high volume guys seem to love it

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

I would have to buy a whole mess of $70 worlds finest trimmers to to get to a point where the Giraud was a cost saver though! One big positive about the Giraud though is that the case mouth is ready to shoot when you pull it out.

If you are trimming manually, then you are wasting your time when you could be loading more ammo. It's why Edison and friends gave us electricity.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    If you are trimming manually, then you are wasting your time when you could be loading more ammo. It's why Edison and friends gave us electricity.

I donít even know why they include a crank on these things (Amish?), it just gets in the way of the drill chuck. Even better than Edisonís lectric is Black & Decker harnessed it for NASA and gave us the cordless lectric drill.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I donít even know why they include a crank on these things (Amish?), it just gets in the way of the drill chuck. Even better than Edisonís lectric is Black & Decker harnessed it for NASA and gave us the cordless lectric drill.
    Lest we not forget Sony who brought to market the first lithium ion battery. This technology allows me to forget to charge said cordless screwdriver for months and still sit down and trim cases like it was just off the charger! Without fail when I went out to do some case prep with my old ni-cad driver, step one was put battery in charger... step 1.5 was open beer, step 2 was open another beer... very little progress is made after step 2

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lest we not forget Sony who brought to market the first lithium ion battery. This technology allows me to forget to charge said cordless screwdriver for months and still sit down and trim cases like it was just off the charger! Without fail when I went out to do some case prep with my old ni-cad driver, step one was put battery in charger... step 1.5 was open beer, step 2 was open another beer... very little progress is made after step 2
    Lithium Ion,...and all that waiting,...beer(?,..while reloading,...??) OR,...Necksizing
    and very little time spent Trimming,....

sorry LJ, had to bust ya on that one
    even if just planning to do some case prep,... Fore long, with a couple cold ones in ya,
    it's becoming, "hey these are coming out nicely, might as well dump some powder in 'em,
    finish up a batch,..."
    And you're pulled right into loading stuff that is meant to kill, with a buzz on

Naaahhhh, probably shouldn'tna done that

Default Edison or Tesla

If you are using a battery powerd unit some thanks goes to Edison - he was the guy that fought for direct current (DC) power.

If it is line powered (AC), all the thanks goes to Tesla and Westinghouse- they fought and won to give us alternating current (AC) power and motors.

And just for the record - George and Tom were bitter enemies - not friends. The history of their conflict makes interesting reading.

The Wilson trimmer has to be the most accurate of the hand units. The Forester unit is OK for trimming but does have the outside neck turing capability to its credit.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

No one has mentioned the RCBS power trimmer. This is what I use and have been happy with it's performance for the 5 or 10 years I have been using mine. With a 3-way cutting head it will trim, chamfer, and deburr all at the same time. It is very accurate, intuitive to use and will handle about 100 cases in about 20 min.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast