Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportjon

Default Sportjon

I've heard great things about handling and running shallow water. How do the Sportjons handle a load?

Check out the videos at www.compeaus.com

They got one of the original SportJons (175 HP) over 30 mph on step with a Suzuki Samurai and 5 guys in it. Well over 3000 lbs. More than recopmmended capacity, but looked like it worked okay. I'm getting an '03 with the 210 HP; should haul anything I need carried.

Look at Jetcraft's Extreme Shallow. It is built sturdier, therefore eliminating the hull issues many sportjons encounter. It is wider in the stern, therefore it planes slower and carry more load faster on plane, the sportjon cannot plan slower than about 17 mph, while an XS will plan at 12.

As for a load, both boats are jets, and if you are thinking of a Yukon moose type trip, you would be better off with a prop Alwed. Jets and Deep water and loads do not mix.

A friend of mine took a sportjon along with several other boats on a Yukon trip and the sport jon struggled to carry the weight of it's own gas, they had to take every thing out of the boat. It also started to come apart in the standing waves they encountered on the way back up stream.

My .02
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

My experience with the Sportjon has been very positive. Click on the link and you can see my boat loaded with two ATVs, a complete (field dressed) bull moose, and all of our hunting gear. I can unbolt the port windshield and support, the center stepbox and window, and the port seats. I ordered my SJ w/o the rear bench so that I would have room for two ATVs. In addition, two men were also on board.

I mashed the throttle down and the craft came on plane pretty quick. The depth was about 5-6 feet. There were some shallow areas of 4-5" on the way back to the launch. No contact with the riverbed was encountered. Our rivers are smaller. We do not have big waves as found on big water. A 1 to 1 1/2 foot chop is about as ugly as it gets.

Now I admit that the boat was way overloaded. I just wanted to see if I could make one trip instead of two. There was definitely no room to stretch out, but the load was moved upriver without effort.http://marksammo.myphotoalbum.com/vi...02&id=IMG_2158

I dont' know where you live, but if you can I would recomend talking to Karolds welding about all the sport Jons they've had to put new hulls on. I was over there last summer and the yard was full of sportjons with new hulls.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I haven't been impressed with the sprtjon. They're great for an afternoon with the family, but I would not recomend taking one on a long trip with lots of weight. I have a story very similar to riverboater's. The sportjon could not keep up with the props, even after we took out most of the weight. If you want good info, I wouldn't talk to Craig Compeau.

-Eric

To say that the Sportjon struggled with the weight of it's own gas is a joke. If that indeed was the case, then it was either running on 3 cylinders or the pump unit/impeller was in horrible condition.

We left the Yukon bridge last year with 300 gallons on board, 2 guys and all our gear for a week and we by no means packed light...Arctic oven, steaks, beer...etc. Either the XS or the Sportjon will pack just about all you can fit into it. You just need to be the judge as to how safe the load is for your conditions/experience.

You'll be happy with either, I preferred the Sportjon due to the increased room in the bow as well as my great experiences with Compeaus in the past.

My experience with Compeau is that he will tell you what ever you want to hear.

What I meant by struggling to carry the weight of it's own gas that was required to make the trip, not just the tank.

I think the sportjon and the XS are both good boats, for what they where designed for.

as I said before, my main concern with a sportjon would be about the integrity of the hull.

Another consideration is that all Jetcraft boats have a transferable lifetime hull warranty.

The boat shop just a new trim nosle for there XS, which would fit on a sportjon because they run the same motor/jet unit, that looks like a great addition.
    Last edited by riverboater; 04-20-2007 at 16:07.
    Henry Ford

You must have been going on one heck of a trip for the SJ not to haul the fuel. 300 gals, ~10GPH, ~30hrs running = ~900 river miles...

I 100% disagree about Compeau, but that's just my experience with him which has been a 25+ year relationship.

When looking for a boat, in talking with both SJ and XS owners as well as 2 local aluminum fab shops, I found that both boats have hull issues. It's just the nature of the beast being aluminum with a 2-stroke rattle trap for a motor, and I think with both boats the positives greatly outweigh that negative.

Agreed that either boat are flat out awesome boats for the interior's riverways and I am very interested in that Scott trim nozzle as you're right, it looks like a great addition.

Looking out my window, the Chena is very tempting...all of this boat talk is giving me the itch!!!!

On my Yukon trip it wasn't that the sj couldn't handle the weight, it just couldn't keep up with our other boats. If you could take your time then yeah I guess you could haul everything you wanted, but we didn't have the time or patience to do it.

The sj and xs are by far my favorite interior/small river boat. The sj used to have a hull that was way to thin, but they may have fixed that by now.

Not to turn this into a thread about bashing Craig, but I haven't had many good experiances with him. Among other things, I've heard blatant lies come out of his mouth when talking with customers. Once again, not trying to start an argument about Craig. I do think he has helped create some wonderful alaskan products.

-Eric

I'm looking out at the chena right now wishing like heck I could be on it!

-Eric

Talking

Where's my lifevest....I'm going in with or without the boat.

Thats it, I can't take it Ellamar. You've pushed me over the edge. My skiff is going in the water!

Default Sportjon

I live in Alaska. I currently an older 20' Wooldridge
    Alaskan with a 115 Yamaha jet. I run the lower Su with it and it's fine in the shallows unless I have a load, and I don't mean 1,000 lbs. of lumber.

My boat is the older design that's about 48" wide at the bottom. I'm sure the newer Alaskan II planes out easier and hauls quite a bit more since it's about 18" wider and weighs the same. Plus they can take more hp.

If I don't have at least 6" I don't go near it.

Thumbs up

See you at Pike's labman!!

Default sport jons

my sea ark predator will haul quite a large load for being 175hp and im sure the 200 will have little more power also. this boat handles great too, easily run in 3" of water with normal load. only thing i had to get use to was the steering, kinda like riding a jet ski. all 3 of the sport jon style, extreme shallow, predator and phantom are all nice boats. all 3 have little differences too, not exactly the same.

Default depends on your application

I would have to tell you that it depends on what/where you are going with the boat. For my area and my small creeks and rivers, the sport jon 20-06 is the ticket for me. Not to say that the xs wouldn't work as well, but for what I do and what I want, this is the "perfect" boat. One plus I like on the sport jon is the room in the bow for atv, etc. As for handling a load, I have NEVER had a problem with that. The boat jumps up on step instantly and handles awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with an xs or sportjon. I would like to see a little thicker hull on the sport jon, but am EXTREMELY impressed with what it does.

I have no problem getting a full size fourwheeler in the bow of my XS. My console is setup about right in the middle of the boat. You can get it further back or further forward. You can even take out the passanger console if you wanted, for hauling lots of long lumber or something, or to have more room.

Default Alaskan II - Load Test

Here is a Load test with a Wooldridge 20' Alaskan II with a 158cu in 200hp E-Tec. They were able to plane with 2,900 lbs. and do 31 mph on the GPS in the lake, they said it would do more in the river with some current and shallows to help out. I don't know much about Compeaus, but according to the article in RiverJet magazine (March/April 2006) they invented the first outboard jet and the first jack ass lift. Wooldridge cleared up the confusion and set the record straight in the July/August 2006 issue of RiverJet with photos.

Default Wooldridge

wooldridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast