Thread: How to mount antlers???

Default How to mount antlers???

While moose hunting I came across some caribou antlers that were dropped the previous year. What would be the best way to mount them to a plaque to hang on the wall? I do woodworking so the plaque is easy, but not sure how to fasten the antler to the plaque. I was thinking screws with predrilling some holes in the back side of the antler. Any suggestions???

You could drill into the base of the antlers and epoxy a nut of some sort in there and then just bolt them to the plaque you make for them. Or you could bolt them to something resembling a skull cap and then attach that to your plaque and cover the synthetic skull cap with leather or some sort of cloth like normal ones are done.

I'm sorry, I should have said antler (single). So I was thinking of mounting it on its side from the back, not at the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have said antler (single). So I was thinking of mounting it on its side from the back, not at the base.
    Thats way easy! I would just figure out where you want it on the board, clamp it down and drill from the back side and mark your drill bit with some tape so that you stop at the depth you want to prior to drilling through the antler. You can use woodscrews or sheet rocks screws to hold it to the board or epoxy nuts in the holes and bolt it on. The antler drills similar to a hardwood.

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    Great! Thanks for the info. I'll post some pics when I get it done.
    Cool, I love seeing the different projects everyone comes up with. I built a candle chandelier out of stag antlers when I was in Germany. It hangs in our living room now. Still need to build a coat rack or key hanger out of some caribou sheds I have laying around.

Default How to mount antlers???

Wildwood_Hunter,
    I would add that there are shed mounting kits (skull plate replicas with bolts/screws where antlers mount) out there that you can get online which help which angles, placement, etc. I mounted a set of elk antlers several years ago and it helped greatly and the mount turned out pretty good. I can't remember which brand I used, but you can google it. I would guess a kit designed for elk would work....