Thread: Emergency Coleman fuel

Default Emergency Coleman fuel

Hi all, I've posted this same bit on other Alaska Outdoors forums because I think it's useful information worth repeating:

I just got back from a moose hunt in area 9B. We flew into a place we have hunted long enough to have stashed some amenities and spare fuel that didn't get used on the previous hunts. This year we knew we needed some Blazo from our notes after the '11 hunt. Homer was completely out of Coleman fuel and when I asked a partner to pick up 2-1/2 gals of gasoline, I forgot to mention it was for the stove and not the little 1-1/2HP Evinrude Junior. Ooops! He thoughtfully went and premixed it. We ran that duel-fuel Coleman for 11 days on 50:1 outboard gas; never missed a lick. If I didn't know, there was nothing that would have caused me to think that it wasn't sipping Blazo. The only thing that I noticed was on packing-up, there was an oily residue on the end of the delivery pipe - a single drip, really - that was it. I would have bet a hundred bucks that it wouldn't have run for two days on 50:1. I was dying to try it in the lantern but the stash had a 1/4 gal of ethyl to run it on.

You will ask why not run regular gas in a duel-fuel? I'm old, and the first duelly I had didn't work with spit. It was made by Sears and was down right dangerous.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

On a recent grizzly hunt Jake(BRWNBR) and I holed up in an old cabin in bad weather. When we were scrounging around in the old cabin we found an old Coleman stove marked "O.V.". Jake figured it had belonged to Oscar Vogel who was an old guide at Stephan Lake many years ago. The old stove had fuel in the tank from who knows when but when we pumped it up both burners still lit!!! We used it to warm up the old shack on a cold morning!!!!!

Just don't use diesel!!! Not enough volatiles, ask me how I know...

I always thought that Coleman fuel was just unleaded gas with a stablizer added, "white gas". At least, that's what my Dad told me.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I believe white gas is filtered a bit (maybe not ACTUALLY filtered, but helpful to envision it this way) so that the longer chain hydrocarbons are removed from it, hence it is a bit more volatile, burns more completely and is less likely to plug up a stove or lantern. I have never heard that it has a stabilizer in it...though that doesn't mean it doesn't.

I have never had a problem using regular unleaded in stoves, lanterns, etc, but it can stink a bit more (especially in foreign countries where the fuel has more sulphur) and soots up your appliance a bit faster requiring more cleaning. Otherwise it works great and is a fraction of the cost of the Coleman crap.

There's nothing like the smell of a Coleman lantern or stove burning, it's the smell of outdoors and camping. And at night, when the Colemen lantern finally runs out of fuel, that loneful low howl (or whistle or moan...whatever the sound is), is like no other. Thank heaven for Coleman and the outdoors!

Ya gotta wonder with the trend going to small LP canisters if we aren't limiting ourselves to options that could save ones butt in a pinch.... Progress is not always the best way for sure...
    Good post copperlake...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

There's no reason it shouldn't work fine with 50/1 mix. There is nothing there to plug anything up. The old leaded gas could be a problem as the lead will plug it up sooner or later. I have been running unleaded pump gas in my Coleman stuff and my primus gas stove for 30 years or so and had no problems yet. A little oil in the gas shouldn't hurt anything.