Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4X4 or 6X6 for hunting rig

Default 4X4 or 6X6 for hunting rig

Hey guys,

I posted this under the ATV section but since it is in relation to hunting rigs as well I wanted to post here to see if anyone that doesn't monitor the ATV forum had any input.

Thanks!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Ranger-6X6-800
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

What kind of hunting? Terrain? Personaly, Ranger 6x6.

I like my argo with tracks
    dom

Between the two, 6x6, no question. I don't think I'll ever buy another ATV that isn't a 6x6. They're far more stable on climbs, can carry more gear - thus negating the necessity of pulling a trailer at times, and they're a smoother ride. I can't think of a reason not to have a 6x6 compared to a 4x4.

6x6 would be my choice. I sure wish other manufacturers would jump on the 6x6 bandwagon to mix things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    6x6 would be my choice. I sure wish other manufacturers would jump on the 6x6 bandwagon to mix things up a bit.
    No joke!

On the Ranger side it is a little more questionable for me. I clearly want 6x6 but the new Ranger chassis isn't available in the 6x6 and the existing one is short on leg room for me. Especially if I add a cab and heater, which I would want or I would just buy a the Big Boss instead! The New Ranger XP 900 has more leg room (according to the marketing info), adjustable seats on sliders (so me at 6'5" and my 5'4" wife could both drive it), under seat storage makes up for the missing dry box between the cab and bed.

For me I will probably check out the new XP900 then buy a couple used rigs that I can hopefully re-sell for about what I purchase them at and save till they produce a 6x6 on the new chassis

and i doubt they ever will produce one on the new chassis... The 6x6 ranger has a limited market, Alaska and probabyl Canada as well. They don't sell them like hotcakes in the lower 48. Go to the polaris Ranger forums majority of the memebers with 6x6 live in Alaska... Lower 48 its all about the RZR's etc. Not the big and slow 6x6 that is 12 feet long.

Where I am really tore is I like the changes to the new 900XP and like mentioned, they are not in the 6X6.......

I have an 11 6x6 ranger it's had issues but I wouldn't trade it for anything well maybe a susv. As long as you pick your route you can go anywhere. Get the 900xp guarantee you will be wishing you got a 6x6 those 2 extra tires turning make a big big difference

I do have to say that I plan on buying a 6x6 in the spring. Where we were hunting a group of 6x6's went across a swamp that I know my wheeler would have had a hard time, but they cruised right across it with what looked like no problem. So as soon as I got back I went to Polaris dealer and looked at one. There very impressive

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I have been contemplating a side by side. The rhino is smaller and lighter. My next door neighbor trader his ranger 6x6 for a rhino due to the size and suspension.

Does anyone find the rangers too big for trails?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

i have had a 6x6 ranger and a crew cab ranger and some times it is wide on the trails with all the trees, and the turning radius is wide but i have always liked them, am thinking of getting a 6x6 big boss to try something different

Get the 6x with 27 inch mud lites! When u get 6x shoot me a pm tell u what u need to do with some things.

Also This yr I hauled 90 gallons in my 6x6 along with a loaded meat wagon didn't even squat it. The ground clearance is phenomenal. Save yourself the headache get the 6x6

I have an 09 rhino and absolutely love it.... To me its more about dependability and the rhino is #1 in this category. The Polaris line up scares me to death because were my buddy and I hunt its a 10 hour ride and there is no option for a breakdown... Ya my rhino gets stuck a bit more, but that is why it has a winch.... Good luck on your choice

P9140358.jpg

Default 4X4 or 6X6 for hunting rig

I own a Grizzly 660 and have loved it. I break it and fix it like any machine. It's as reliable as the metal is and it keeps on running. I have heard there are more mechanical issues with the Ranger but no one has been able to give me real examples.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    I do have to say that I plan on buying a 6x6 in the spring. Where we were hunting a group of 6x6's went across a swamp that I know my wheeler would have had a hard time, but they cruised right across it with what looked like no problem. So as soon as I got back I went to Polaris dealer and looked at one. There very impressive
    All ATVS will die when the water hits the carb. For pure "wow this is crazy, there is nothing that will stop this rig" get any floating atv (max or argo), put adair tracks and a factory roll cage and cab on it and go crazy. It is really fun to sit some where in Muskeg and watch the water come up through the grass. When this happens, give it a minute and "float" off of being stuck!

When you get tired of being cold, in the rain and snow, when you get tired of being smacked in the face by trees, get real, and get an argo or max!

just to put my money where my mouth is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewLh8...eature=related

youtube;QqSAndPHrvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqSAndPHrvQ&feature=related

youtube;-4HoFXuqSlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HoFXuqSlU&feature=related

youtube;HV5tUxEwCwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5tUxEwCwM&feature=fvwrel

Do your home work. Compare 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8. Argos, maxes, polaris and all others.

my next rig will be a 6x6 big boss

Lol. I feel just the opposite, would never trust a Yamaha off the road. Out of 30 plus years playing on atv's (dad owned a wheeler dealership)and seeing friends buy yammies only to quickly trade them off for more reliability. Personally, I choose Polaris, it's not for all, just the ones who want to 'get out there & return. Each to his own! OP, I would suggest you go out with some people that own a couple differant rides, ride with them and compare; best way! (Cheaper too! Lol )

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_grizz View Post
    I have an 09 rhino and absolutely love it.... To me its more about dependability and the rhino is #1 in this category. The Polaris line up scares me to death because were my buddy and I hunt its a 10 hour ride and there is no option for a breakdown... Ya my rhino gets stuck a bit more, but that is why it has a winch.... Good luck on your choice

P9140358.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast