Thread: Polaris Ranger XP 900 vs. Polaris Ranger 6X6 800

Default Polaris Ranger XP 900 vs. Polaris Ranger 6X6 800

Hey guys,

Did some searches and didn't see what I was looking for so I figured I would throw out a question that I am sure has been discussed before.

I am seriously looking at getting a side by side. I think I have narrowed it down to these two rigs.

It seems that the Ranger XP will be a bit more maneuverable and enjoyable to ride 80% of the time when its just with the family and doing excursions/camping trips. My fear with the 6X6 is that it may not be as maneuverable for most outings and the extra weight might be problematic. Also concerned that the extra drive train is just more that can break. However! I am in love with the idea of the 6X6 for hunting. The trails I take are muddy at times, rocky at times, and just an all around mix of Alaskan trails. I see guys with side by sides roll through and they say its no big deal although the extra wheel base would seem that they would get high centered more than a quad. Anyway, I obviously have lots of thoughts and am just seeking opinions.

Basically is the 6X6 that much better during hunting season to warrant it year round or are the few times your gonna get stuck in the Ranger XP worth it to have a more nimble machine the rest of the year? Also, are there any huge issues people are running into with these rigs?

Thanks!

-Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I do not own either machines but have a good friend that has both and I have spent a fair amount of time in and around them the past few years. Buy the 6x6! You will not notice any loss of nimbleness or ride quality and they are not that much worse in the maintenance area.

The 6x6 does weigh a little bit more but it has two more tires to spread the weight across plus it has two more tires to provide traction. I have never seen one of his high centered when my own 4 wheeler was not high centered. When I get stuck he walks right through, when his 4x4 Ranger gets stuck he walks right through in the 6x6. They are very impressive and capable machines.

The 6x6 also has a larger bed with that big cargo box which is nice for throwing recovery gear and emergency stuff into.

My wife and kids have driven both of them and ridden both and can't tell the difference in ride quality. If you ask my kids they will say the 6x6 because it gets stuck less.

The XP 900 belongs in the dunes...IMHO. If you want to "play" more, buy a 450 dirt bike to go with your Ranger 6x6. Get the Christini front wheel drive kit if you're afraid of getting your dirt bike stuck. haha

AlaskanSD I gather you are referring to the RZR XP 900. I suspect that the OP is discussing the new for 2013 ranger XP 900 which is the 4x4 utility UTV. I am looking forward to seeing the new XP 900 because of the extended legroom, sliding seat tracks and under seat dry storage all of which would be a big plus for me! None of those options are available in the current 6x6 model.

Derrick, I'm in the same boat. I have looked extensively at the 6x6 and talked to plenty of people who convinced me that it would be a no brainer. Now Polaris throws a wrench in the mix by introducing the 900 XP! This year, I drove the 4x4 800 XP through some pretty gnarly stuff that I thought I would need a 6x6 to get out of. I got through it ok, but it was hairy. The 4x4 800 XP I was driving just had stock tires on it and it still did pretty well. I could only imagine throwing some Zilla's or 589's on one. Now that the new 900 XP is coming out with some very attractive features, it makes me think that the 6x6 has some real competition for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    Derrick, I'm in the same boat. I have looked extensively at the 6x6 and talked to plenty of people who convinced me that it would be a no brainer. Now Polaris throws a wrench in the mix by introducing the 900 XP! This year, I drove the 4x4 800 XP through some pretty gnarly stuff that I thought I would need a 6x6 to get out of. I got through it ok, but it was hairy. The 4x4 800 XP I was driving just had stock tires on it and it still did pretty well. I could only imagine throwing some Zilla's or 589's on one. Now that the new 900 XP is coming out with some very attractive features, it makes me think that the 6x6 has some real competition for my purposes.
    That is exactly where I am at. I was thinking 6X6 all the way but I like what they have done with the 900 XP. Decisions decisions!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Lol suckers get the 4x4 900... I have 6 27 inch mud lite xtrs on my 6x6.... I have 4x4 and 6x6 I prefer the 6x all day long!
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

I also have a 4x4s and a 6x6s. I prefer the 4x4s for riding. The 6x6s are tractors. Like a wide track compared to a sport sled. There's a place for both. The choice is personal. There are times I miss my old 3-wheelers.

I have a 2011 6x6 and an 2012 800xp 4x4. I'd agree with Mr. Pid that they each have their place. Having said that, when my 6x had an engine code while out hunting due to an injector wire shorting I had to bring it home and take the 4x. I missed the 6x dearly. Luckily I had already hauled out my moose. I also have to agree the 6x is a tractor. It will do things the other won't but it won't get there near as fast unless the 4x gets stuck.

There is absolutely no comparison as to where a 6x can go vs an atv unless the trail is simply so tight with trees, rocks etc. which I haven't had an issue with yet. In the mud or swamps it will shine. I have had to tow my buddy (on his atv )through places he said I couldn't go after he got stuck thinking he could Did I mention that while hunting 90% of the time he rides in my ranger and leaves his atv parked at camp? I should mention that his atv is a 650 with swamp tires.

Forgot to mention, why would underseat storage be of any concern on a 6x? The tool box between the cab and bed is more than sufficient for those items that you always have with you and they stay dry just as well.

For play riding I'd take a sit-on wheeler every time. While my 800 Polaris has power and ground clearance there's a lot to be said for the old Timberwolf. Manual shift, lightweight, and nimble. Sometimes that's a sweet combo. I have a 6x6 Sportsman and for slogging across the bogs that's preferred to the 4x4s but brute traction aside, there's nothing I prefer about the 6x6. It's heavy and it beats my body up like you'd expect from such a heavy machine. As for side by sides, the 6x6 Ranger is comparable to the 6x6 wheeler where the 4x4 Ranger is comparable to the 800 4x4. Comfort, speed, and nimbleness goes to the 4x4, no question. Brute traction is all the 6x6 has to offer and it makes you compromise on comfort and maneuverability to get it. Guys can provide their own reports and no doubt some will disagree. Like I said earlier, personal choice. I'd like a Razr in the fleet but can't rationalize it for a few hours of go-fast thrill riding. There are days I envy the guys who have one, though. They're all fun.

Lujon - you're right! Thx.

Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone made any racks for the bed on there 6x6. I tried doing a search and didn't find much out there.

Thumbs down Been looking also

Maybe they will take the 900 and turn it into a 6x6 I'm getting one in June.

Am also looking in the future for a 6*6, either in the Big Boss or the side by side. What about the supposed problems with reliability and the drive shafts?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

+1 for the 6x6 ranger. I was reluctant at first but only because of the width over the sportsman. now I'm glad I was talked into it. this year was it's second hunting trip, I've got just under 600 miles and couldn't be happier. I haven't looked at the 900 XP, and won't until they put that extra axel under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One thing to consider. The polaris 6x6 side-by-side is OVER 1500 pounds dry. There are several trails and areas in alaska with a 1500 pound load limit for the trail (rex trail for example). The DNR is trying to add more 1500 pound trail restrictions each year. The state troopers and park wardens have been notified on the weight of this machine. You will be getting cited in the future. Check with state DNR for trails with restrictions and avoid them or pay $100 fine. I would love to have one but if I go SbyS it will have to be a 4x4 so I am under the weight restrictions. Food for thought.

Good point though I personally would take the chance. The weight distribution of the added wheels makes the ground pressure at 1550 lbs a heck of a lot less than a 4x4 at 1499. I hope that the enforcement takes that into account. Be nice if Polaris could take the 1500 lb limit into consideration if they redesign it in the future.

All good points. Both are great machines and both have pros and cons. First, I have pulled 6X6 ATV's out with my ATV...and I have been pulled out by 6x's. A lot of it has to do with knowing the capabilities of your machine and knowing how to drive your machine. Also I have equally seen broken machines on trails, so I don't think one is particularly better than the other. But I can tell you that you will be happy with either machine...the Polaris Ranger is the best all around machine for working, trail riding, and hunting/fishing. I did buy and take the 900 "Pumpkin" hunting this season and the machine is extremely impressive. We go about 15 miles in just to camp pulling a trailer that weighs about 700 pounds and another 500 in the bed. Then we added a moose on the way out...the machine is a beast...the power is instant and the torque is there. The only complaint is the under seat storage leaks when it rains...so without a cab or installing your own seal the tools get wet....but the beer on ice stay cold. So when you make your final decision....figure out what do you want and does it meet your needs. Because they are both great machines...I will say if you go with the 6x6 it might be worth waiting to see if polaris comes out with a 900 next fall. The accessories for the new cab are really nice and easy to install. Check out http://www.prcforum.com and ask your question on their site...you will get some great feedback.