Thread: New hunter; Homer

Default New hunter; Homer

Hi all, moved to Homer mid July and love the area & fishing but want to get into hunting birds; open to all types (grouse, ducks, etc).
    have been duck hunting once and went nuts over it. Lookin for someone to go with & show me the ropes. Have a 16' skiff with a 25 hp and a 4wd bronco that pretty much will go anywhere.
    Right now in Spokane and will be back home next week.
    thanks! Jim

I think forum member waldo2382 lives down there. I would get with him and see if he can give you some advice. Basically though it all comes down to scouting. Get a pair of binos and watch where the birds are going, and where they are coming from. Then set up accordingly. Good luck, you are in a great place to hunt. It's sea duck heaven down there in there!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

look at google earth..look at all those bays across the spit...any one of them holds ducks. Get in the skiff and do some scouting, You will eventually find a good point to set up on for seaducks..check the ponds and lakes back in there..many different species will be out there.

Good luck and get out..going to be getting cold and locking up water pretty soon.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I won't be back to really hit up the ducks until the end of October due to work and a side job I'll be taking up this winter working in Valdez. I tend to start getting serious about the sea ducks around Halloween anyway and do well all through the season. Around mid November, I'll be working in Valdez most likely through the end of duck season. PM me and I can discuss a few strategies for ducks. I've never had regular luck with grouse in the Homer area though.

Thanks guys for the help; will pm ya Waldo. Yeah thinking that scouting would be good; might have to up the ante on a bigger skiff or boat, have been on the bay many times on taxi runs with homerdave and that 16' might be a little light for the conditions in fall? Did have the foresight to get a mustang survival work suit. Maybe a camo version is needed!

Really looking forward to it; thanks again-jim

Get a boat and take it across the bay to chinapoot, it's about 15-30 minutes to get there, decent sea duck hunting as well as mallards etc.

Good idea; today would've been perfect; sunny & nice but alas, wife's birthday a priority. Thank you for the tip, will get out there and report back.

What kind of waterfowler are you? Wife's birthday...pfffft! She can wait, until you get back from duck hunting!

Now that I think about out, this mentality of mine is probably the reason I'm not married.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

yeah...I just cook her a nice duck dinner...been working for 12 years so far..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Good idea; today would've been perfect; sunny & nice but alas, wife's birthday a priority. Thank you for the tip, will get out there and report back.
    You think you got problems, my wifes B-day is Sept 1, i suggested this year we go camping in a marsh to hunt the weekend. I did go hunting the morning, but Evangelo's for dinner in the evening. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    You think you got problems, my wifes B-day is Sept 1, i suggested this year we go camping in a marsh to hunt the weekend. I did go hunting the morning, but Evangelo's for dinner in the evening. Bud
    That has got to SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Good idea; today would've been perfect; sunny & nice ....
    First lesson... Sunny and nice is NOT perfect duck hunting weather. Stormy, windy and drizzly is better.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Welcome Big Jim. I just moved to homer, too. I'm on a ship and out for the next few weeks but will send you a PM when I get back.

Perfect duck hunting weather tomorrow!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Ha! Note taken homerdave! Bkraut; looking forward to it, thanks.