Thread: Arctic Cat recommendation???

Default Arctic Cat recommendation???

I had an opportunity to spend some time earlier this summer with an Iron Man racer, and he had a lot of good general information. After I described my riding habits and abilities, plus my size and athletic abilities, he recommended that I consider the AC 800 Crossfire. I see that they are no longer being made, but I can not tell if the design has just been renamed, or eliminated. How does the Crossfire compare to the M8 or the HCR (hill, climb, race as I understand)? Any input is appreciated...oh, I have had a '99 Powder Special 600 and a 2003 Switchback 600 and have been pleased with both although borrowing a Crossfire last year was a lot more fun. Thanks in advance!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

It's no longer called the CrossFire its now the ProCross XF. If you can find a used CrossFire 800 they are a great machine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It's no longer called the CrossFire its now the ProCross XF. If you can find a used CrossFire 800 they are a great machine.
    Thanks...I wasn't sure if anyone knew the answer...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Depending on how agile you want to be a crossfire may not be the best fit. They dominate on rough hard pack, or trails. Giving some mix in the boondocks.

If you want to go in the deep and want something that is agile I'd get an m. 42" ski stance on the xfire is brutal in the deep and steep

Quote Originally Posted by greenspeed View Post
    Depending on how agile you want to be a crossfire may not be the best fit. They dominate on rough hard pack, or trails. Giving some mix in the boondocks.

If you want to go in the deep and want something that is agile I'd get an m. 42" ski stance on the xfire is brutal in the deep and steep
    My Mountain Cat seems to be a pig in soft snow, the front end wants to bog down...last season at the Lake Louise Poker run I was riding with two others, one on a Polaris and the other on a Yamaha; all three machines were 600cc. Neither could stay with me on the rough trails, but when we got on the flat lakes with deep and somewhat wet snow, both easily pulled away from me and I was WOT. I just plowed. When I was in similar situations on a Crossfire the front end rode high and did not dig in. It sounds like the M will ride even lighter? I have never been on one and I am curious on them, so any further info is appreciated. Also, the worse ride I have ever had on any snowmobile is the AC F series (a F6 I think)...I just hated everything about it.

Roger the Mountain Cat is a misnomer--Trail Cat is more accurate.

If you really want a cross-over sled look at the Skidoo Backcountry or the Polaris Switchback series.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Iíve got a 2010 M8 and love it. It handles great in deep snow and steep terrain, which is the type of riding I like the most. It does OK on the trails, but my wife can outrun me on her 2005 Skidoo Expedition Sport with a 550F if the trail is really bumpy. I get tossed around while she glides along. For me, the compromise is well worth it.

I havenít ever ridden one of the cross over sleds so I canít say anything about them. Like everything, decide what youíre primarily going to be doing, and get something that works best for that.