Thread: weather question

Default weather question

Well I have about 2 more weeks left in Afghanistan and I was wondering how the weather is looking so far. My wife says it has been fairly cold. I am wishing for a winter like the last where I hunted almost to NOV.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    Well I have about 2 more weeks left in Afghanistan and I was wondering how the weather is looking so far. My wife says it has been fairly cold. I am wishing for a winter like the last where I hunted almost to NOV.
    All the windy and wet weather has been coming from the south. This effectively prevents much migration and keeps things a tad warmer. I'm waiting on the weather patterns and temperatures to cool down up north bringing us more colorful and mature birds though I would love to be patiently waiting till the end of October. Two more weeks should be about perfect to find some good flocks of birds. Thank you for your service.

Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Warm, wet, windy Welcome Home soon. Duckdon

Thanks guys I appreciate it and I cant wait to get out on the flats!

be safe and thx for what you do.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Went to the flats today to see what I could flush out the weather was perfect .. raining, windy, cool, and did I say windy. the parking lot was empty and off we went. Saw a few ducks (I think 8-10 total) but overall they were staying down and not flying long. the water puddle in the flats were providing enough protection that they did not seem restless. We had one opportunity but the pup was being difficult and decided she needed to move to get a better view about the time the duck turned ... needless to say it flared off wanted to come back but would not commit... although i got skunked it was a fun time out with the dog and a good friend... now if I could just get off work earlier

oh forgot to ask anybody else go out and how did you do. Duckdon be safe and get home block leave will be a good time for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    oh forgot to ask anybody else go out and how did you do. Duckdon be safe and get home block leave will be a good time for you.

I went out yesterday afternoon to Maud. It was just my dog and I and some dekes so I was really light. After the 3rd time the bow blew up in the air and fighting the wind all the way to where I thought I wanted to hunt (calm water, right?), and then getting blown out of that spot, I called it a day and fought my way back in before I even set up.

I also issued a small craft advisory to anyone willing to listen! There were white caps on Mud Lake and in Gull. Hairy.