Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Reports How close do you report the location of your kill?

Default Hunt Reports How close do you report the location of your kill?

I've had a haunch (and it's only a haunch) that these little fish n game minions/punks talk about hunt reports among their group of co-workers and personal friends.

To me, if you don't know me very well, asking me where I shot an animal is offensive, and kind of pises me off, and in a way, the hunt report's prodding question is too.

When my son n I were heading home with our bulls, we were asked numerous occasions: "Where'd you get him?" I simply reply: "Sir, that's like asking a real heavy set gal how much she weighs, do you honestly think I'm going to answer that?"

You know darned well these fish n game groups talk of potential hunt locations based of what they find at work.........so how close do you fellas "actually" get to reporting your kill sites?

If you work for fish n game and you don't like this thread, go cry me a river, or nibble on a whahburger.

on some hunts you are required to give grid coordinates. Too bad you can't get a good signal when you are filling out the harvest tag and cutting dates. That happened to me on one of the moose we harvested this year.

And on my moose, the computer system would not accept the grid coordinates that we got at the kill site.

So to answer your question: On two of the three we reported this year- only one grid was accepted. So two of the three grids were not even close to where we were. However, in the discription block- we did put real close discription in words of where we were at. But, these were road hunts for draw tags.

Chris

I just put down the closest named mountain or waterway.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sooooo, do you think "Big Susitna River drainage" is to vague??

Default Nay

How close? Well, close enough that the bios can do their job, yes. Certainly a short walk if my animal chose to walk from here to there. But coordinates? Never. Exact location, never, like river mile x.x ? Never.

Just think back on the (publicized) F&G troubles over the past 5 years and ask yourself if this is the organization that you wish to provide your honey-hole's coordinates to. Not I.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

is also a misdemeanor to intentionally file a false report'''' see bottom box of page 14 in the Handy dandy reg book...

"
    if you give false information when applying for or reporting on a license, permit, tag, or harvest ticket, these documents are void and you have broken the law."
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Being that we always have a GPS with us, I mark the location of our kills and that is what goes on the report. Guess that I am not that concerned who knows where we made the kills, as animals tend to travel anyway.

Mainer, I have to say that having In-Laws (1 a Bio who' s name and region will remain anonymous and has participated in several moose population surveys over the years) working for ADFG and having hunted with a few other employees ( bios and techs)of ADFG, that such information never benefitted any of us, "they" and "we" still had to RESEARCH and ACCESS chosen hunt areas. Knowing, or thinking one knows where to hunt, and then be able to kill an animal is a far cry from actualy being able to access the given area.

To answer the question on info provided on the harvest report, I have supplied GPS coordinates more than once and I have yet to find anyone else there during hunts the following season(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    is also a misdemeanor to intentionally file a false report'''' see bottom box of page 14 in the Handy dandy reg book...

"
    I'll take the fine.

Take your meds man stop being paranoid... If you truly get out in the boonies with your kick ass canoes what does it matter...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    I'll take the fine.
    and lose your harvest, and loss of hunting privledges?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

On hunts that ask for a lat/lon....I'll provide it.

On hunts that ask for a description I give the drainage or closest major landmark.

Risking a fine or loss of harvest/privilege isn't worth it to protect a "honey hole" which is probably better known than we'd all like to think it is.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I answer as honestly as I can. I don't carry GPS, so I give as accurate an estimate of my location using a north, south, east, and west orientation to known lines or geographic features.

If the report asks for longitude and lattitude, and I don't have that information due to not having a GPS with me, I leave that blank. If they want to suspend my family's sustenance for not having gadgetry, then I guess that decision and karma's on them.

Never had a problem giving as precise info as I can... Tributary off of a main drainage if it is a named trib, distance and bearing from the nearest named geographic feature as best as I know, etc etc.

I would like adfg to have far more info about game populations than they do, especially regarding distribution of the animals. As I see it, better baseline info allows for better management decisions, so I appreciate the opportunity to help provide accurate information.

When I have asked bios about info for an area I'm not very familiar with, they have always been more than helpful. It would be a double standard for me to not provide quality info in return. Knowing an area someone harvested an animal, moose, full curl sheep, whatever, and getting there and harvesting one yourself are two vastly different things.

I've lost some respect for those who seem to think their harvest is proprietary information that can't contribute to wildlife managers population knowledge. Talk about selfish. Telling a casual person who asks? That is another thing entirely. But the paranoia that your hunting will be forever changed by accurately reporting the site of your harvest is foolish in my opinion. Reminds me of the type of chicken crap "alaskan" i've met who can't get along with others and makes some comment about "if you ever came on my moose camp..."

What a joke. Learn to cooperate and harness your ego...

I just wave at the black helicopter and go about my business.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    I answer as honestly as I can. I don't carry GPS, so I give as accurate an estimate of my location using a north, south, east, and west orientation to known lines or geographic features.

If the report asks for longitude and lattitude, and I don't have that information due to not having a GPS with me, I leave that blank. If they want to suspend my family's sustenance for not having gadgetry, then I guess that decision and karma's on them.
    google earth will give it to you also when you hoover your cursor over the spot

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post

I would like adfg to have far more info about game populations than they do, especially regarding distribution of the animals. As I see it, better baseline info allows for better management decisions, so I appreciate the opportunity to help provide accurate information.

When I have asked bios about info for an area I'm not very familiar with, they have always been more than helpful. It would be a double standard for me to not provide quality info in return. Knowing an area someone harvested an animal, moose, full curl sheep, whatever, and getting there and harvesting one yourself are two vastly different things.
    I heartily agree with this approach

In the Commercial fishing business we have to Log and give Exact Numbers for everything we catch,....and believe me,
    if there was motivation for F&G Bio's to share catch results info,...this is a Big Dollars business,
    we would certainly find someone camped at our last Hot spot in no time
    (have never had it happen yet)

I have a hard time imagining F&G folks going to all that trouble with Their Integrity,... just to harvest critters for the freezer

and I also,...Have Never Recieved any other than Great Willingness to help, give good generic info, from the Biologists,
    when asking about area specific factors prior to a hunt planning session. herd strength,...winter kill, etc.
    They have been notably Careful, about specific drainages/Bays, type information,...which I appreciate,
    don't want to know what someone else found

Those folks are an asset, not a threat,...
    and I am determined to be the same for them,...tell them what I see out there,...
    often going into the office, just to pass on what I've seen, if I feel it may help them at all

and to anyone who thinks that following someone elses numbers, from last year,...or even last week,...is a good strategy,...
    to find your own animals/fish

Animals Stroll, Fish Swim, things change out there,...and if nothing else

You're missing out on the whole deal, the challenge,...to see if You Can Find Them,.....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

google earth will give it to you also when you hoover your cursor over the spot
    I'm on 56k dial-up, with archaic telephone wires that ACS tells me will still be in place long after I've finished feeding the worms.

With the only other alternative for any elaborate computer activities at my home being either a $100/month satellite internet bill, or to knit sweaters, darn socks, and/or build stone and mortar bunkers while the thing loads at an average glacier's pace of progress, I'll likely stick to my standard but descriptive, "1/3 mile north from intersection of XXXX, and 1/2 mile west of the base of XXXXX where it meets XXXX."

They've got helicopters and super-cubs. I think/hope they can find my gut pile.... if the bears haven't tidied up too well after me. ;^>)

and lose your harvest, and loss of hunting privledges?
    Not a chance, I am truthfully just like everyone else

I have a friend who is a wildlife biologist in the lower 48. They do not share any information about hunter kills with others including department employees. They scout their own spots just like all other hunters. If a hunter takes out a quality animal, why would a biologist want to hunt that area? All the biologist knows is that a large animal was there and there is no guarantee another animal is or will be in the future. They do however use harvest statistics like the rest of us to identify good hunting areas. As a hunter, I can not hold that against them as I do the same.

The information biologist ask for is to sustain the natural resources we use. It is wise of us to supply the information they need to institute management.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast