Thread: Savage Hog Hunter???

Default Savage Hog Hunter???

Is anyone using one of these this year? If so what do you think about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I won't lie, I drool over carbines with open sights. Although I'm not much of a Savage bolt guy, THAT there is a river rifle if I've ever seen one. A little hefty though, but the 308 model would settle in on an offhand shot with that nice weight. You could really abuse that thing, and never worry about it. For the money though, there's another carbine worth considering: The Ruger model 77 compact mag, and it's a bit lighter.

Im looking at the 338 model. I like the accutrigger a lot and the price is very nice too.

I like the looks. Seems like it would be a great truck or boat gun. My only complaint about Savages is sticky bolts.

I think I'd look into the Bear Hunter over the Hog Hunter! That thing is UUUGLY. Plus the sights on it seem a little cheesey. I have the early Bear Hunter model (116 Alaskan) in 338wm. Changed the original stock with a Bell and Carlson and that rifle is fantastic. The Bear Hunter has the accu-trigger and the accu-stock as well I think. Should be a very accurate and dependable rifle. Put a good scope on it and get to it! If your looking for something with a shorter barrel my personal preferrence is the Ruger Alaskan but the Savage is a great rifle too. I chose the Ruger cause it came in 416. If you go hat direction you may have to send the rifle back to Ruger as there is/was feeding issues with the 416's. Ruger did a great job repairing mine and they paid for all the shiping too.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

What draws me to this rifle is the accutrigger and the short barrel. Looks arent a big concern with me as long as its accurate and handles well. I agree with you about the sights being cheesy as well as the barrel being threaded. If the sights were fiber optic I think they would serve a better purpose for me. I would probably just put a 4x scope on it and call it good.

Fair enough and makes sense. Did you look into the Brush Hunter too? They don't have the threaded barrel and I believe they come with the accutrigger too. That might be an option for you too.

Good Luck,
    John

Chinese proverb

Growing up in Louisiana, we did a lot of hog hunting off horses in the swamps. Catahola parish hounds ,ect used a Ruger .44 mag. auto carbine I bought in 1965. I think they came out with a new model this year, though with a clip.
    Fun gun.
    Goo

Love those 44 auto carbines! Asked santa for one once many years ago and he bailed on me that year! I remeber reading an article in Guns and Ammo ( I believe) about how a great short range deer rifle it was back in the early 80s or so. Been thinking about an AR in 50 Beowulf but I don't reload. I should probably get that in order first.

Chinese proverb

Mate-- would LOVE one myself!!! Reloading is lots of fun and is so simple these days with new powers, bullets, eqipment and information. Was a bit different in the 60's.
    Go for it!!!
    Goo

Was checkin' one of these out at Black Dog in Soldotna a few days ago; for $450 the price was right, compared to $725 for the Ruger RCM at WalMart (which feels like an absolute toy popgun BTW, and not sure if I believe the ballistic claims). Very smooth action, and I liked the oversized bolt handle and threaded muzzle. I would probably buy this rifle. As the KP gets brushier and bearier, it seems very attractive.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    As the KP gets brushier and bearier, it seems very attractive.
    Haha! You're right! With all this rain, it feels like I am back in southeast Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Haha! You're right! With all this rain, it feels like I am back in southeast Alaska!
    Ha, you've been gone so long you'd melt now.