Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on Hunting in Cold Bay

Default Suggestions on Hunting in Cold Bay

The better half is offering to send me to cold bay to hunt. I really want to go ... the trip would be what I call semi guided meaning i would arrive stay at a lodge they would show me around then turn me loose. What do you think about this and the success rate. Lots of brants and geese and ducks up there. The guided hunts are just out of my range right now. Also the decoys and transportation is included (ie i will have a vehicle with decoys) and the hunt would actually be next week most likely. The lodge we are looking at is the Izembek lodge. If you have had bad luck with them just PM me so we do not blast a business on the internet.

Any comments on the area and suggestions

Thanks

Go for it...I personally think it would be bettter around the second week of October..but never been there. I think the numbers would be great and the different species would make it worth the trip. Dont think any lodge is going to stear you wrong on ducks. Curious on cost?

If my betterhalf said go.. I would'nt hesitate...trying to get her to allow me to go to Argentina for my retirement hunt..lol We will see how that goes..seems the new duckboat and motor got her fired up for now..lol

Enjoy
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

i would call and talk to the guys at the lodge, ask what success hunters on their own are having, if they have blinds set up for hunters to use, etc, sounds like a great hunt to me but i always wonder if better at home where you know the area as opposed to a new place it may take a bit to learn the best areas and techniques. Bud
    Wasilla

Based on info from a guy that used to live there unitl this June ......

Too many people are hunting the same walk in spots and it has now pushed the birds off. They have lots of habitat and food so why should they keep coming back to the same spot to get shot at? The lodge folks will point you to these same spots and you will be able to shoot birds, but not as great as other spots further from the road system. If you are willing to walk - and have a good bear defense system - there are many walk in spots that you can get into.

They hunt from shore in tall beach rye grass. There is no need to set up a blind.

The tides are funny, and make birds move at odd times, which also is influenced by the wind.

Bayview B&B was recommended to me if I ever made a trip out there.

Duckhunter01 is right. The best hunting out there is after the 1st of Oct. My dad is a guide in kachemak bay and we were out there the first week of oct last year. He has done some guiding out there in the past and knows some good spots. We are heading out the same time this year. The hunting out there depends on the tides. The birds move inland towards the shore with the incoming tide to the fresh water ponds. You could sit there for hours and not see a bird, until the tide switches, and then here they come in huge numbers. We hunted ptarms until the tides were right, then headed out goose and brant hunting. Be ready to walk if you don"t have access to a boat!! No blinds are needed. Tall grass along waters edge provide plenty of cover. Find a good map of the area, showing ponds and roads. Watch out for bears!!

izembek lodge is a first rate place with a standup guy named Al that runs it with wife Barb. he will point you in the right direction, although you will have to figure a lot out on your own, and that takes a few days.

I stayed at Bayview a few years back, really nice place, call and see if Bill is still guiding, he was reasonable and got us on a ton of geese. His wife Lillian is a great hostess. If your going, take some small steel for ptarmigan, lots of them out there and you don't want to be carrying lead and stumble on ducks while ptarmigan hunting, it does happen!

One suggestion, you might arrainge to hire a guide from the lodge for the first day, then wing it afterwards, the one day guide may be very worthwhile if you are a quick learner and milk him for all the info you can get. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by bucksducks View Post
    izembek lodge is a first rate place with a standup guy named Al that runs it with wife Barb. he will point you in the right direction, although you will have to figure a lot out on your own, and that takes a few days.
    I talked with him for some time today he was definitely helpful. Told me that to increase success you really needed a dog to hunt the lagoon (which I have and she would have it no other way except to go) otherwise as posted here the tides run the show. He also said that he would take me around show me some areas give me some other areas to go and then send me on my way. I ask about hunter success and he said it depended on how much you put into it and being somewhat savvy. I think he would definitely help out and I am willing to listen and learn.

I had planned to go next week since i have vacation scheduled ... duck hunting was on the menu but just around here ... but he said he was pretty full. I ask about 1st weekend of october as a possibility. Hope it works out

Sounds like a blast..shoot me a PM and let me know what this is going to cost if you dont want to post it here...I plan on going there in the a few years or island X.

Thanks and good luck on the hunt..always wanted a Brant

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    I talked with him for some time today he was definitely helpful. Told me that to increase success you really needed a dog to hunt the lagoon (which I have and she would have it no other way except to go) otherwise as posted here the tides run the show. He also said that he would take me around show me some areas give me some other areas to go and then send me on my way. I ask about hunter success and he said it depended on how much you put into it and being somewhat savvy. I think he would definitely help out and I am willing to listen and learn.

I had planned to go next week since i have vacation scheduled ... duck hunting was on the menu but just around here ... but he said he was pretty full. I ask about 1st weekend of october as a possibility. Hope it works out
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Sounds like a blast..shoot me a PM and let me know what this is going to cost if you dont want to post it here...I plan on going there in the a few years or island X.

Thanks and good luck on the hunt..always wanted a Brant
    Have no problem disclosing the hunt cost here... the way i see it if i can help out commerce in this great state so be it. The lodge is the Izembek lodge and his cost is 250 a day for a non guided and i believe another 400 if guided but not sure about that. the non guided portion is decoys transpo food and lodging... not a bad deal overall you just as the owner said have to be willing to work and learn which is part of the fun for me... not that I do not wish at times that I had the money for a fully guided trip. As you know the guided portion is not all about the calling and hunting some of the things are he picks up the birds for you cleans them packages them etc... All things I can do and actually enjoy doing ..... wish he would just hunt with me for a while not even all day do a little calling and call it good wonder what that cost....hmmmmm i bet a full days guide ..Ha Anyway that is what I know...I did look up air and expect to pay 900-1000 to get there on Penair. I have no idea how this compares to others in the area hopefully someone on here has experience and will post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    Have no problem disclosing the hunt cost here... the way i see it if i can help out commerce in this great state so be it. The lodge is the Izembek lodge and his cost is 250 a day for a non guided and i believe another 400 if guided but not sure about that. the non guided portion is decoys transpo food and lodging... not a bad deal overall you just as the owner said have to be willing to work and learn which is part of the fun for me... not that I do not wish at times that I had the money for a fully guided trip. As you know the guided portion is not all about the calling and hunting some of the things are he picks up the birds for you cleans them packages them etc... All things I can do and actually enjoy doing ..... wish he would just hunt with me for a while not even all day do a little calling and call it good wonder what that cost....hmmmmm i bet a full days guide ..Ha Anyway that is what I know...I did look up air and expect to pay 900-1000 to get there on Penair. I have no idea how this compares to others in the area hopefully someone on here has experience and will post it up.
    You eagle river boys have all the money... Us valley guys struggling to survive...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You eagle river boys have all the money... Us valley guys struggling to survive...

struggling with a 6x6, ranger 4x4, meat wagon, a trailer big enough to haul it on, and a new pick up... wish I was struggling... with that said though you did not pick as good of a place to live as me.... ER rocks

Meat wagon is borrowed see I'm struggling

2K for a 4 day hunt. Seems a little high..but probably right for AK. I do like the fact and would be willing to dish out 250 a day if it included the ATV, Decoys, Lodging, meals etc. I will assume this includes the lodging cost and meal as well. If so...really good deal in my eyes and sounds like a plan. As many..dont like the 1K plan fare..but sure cashing some mileage might help.

Have fun and make sure to take some pics..

Call Bill & Lillian.

not sure if this guy still has it, but price sounds pretty good

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Cold_Bay.html

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Call Bill & Lillian.

Ducks and dogs... did I miss a reply? I am still looking to go but will most likely go alone as now three partners have bailed. Can you provide a little more info than the names ..thanks

You'll do fine. Weather is pretty key, need wind. Normally, thats not a problem, but I've been out there on the very few days it does get sunny and calm, and it makes the goose hunting tough. Hunt ptarmigan those days. I like going out to the end of outermaker road, then go across the lagoon from there. Geese feed on the crowberries in the tundra and you can really get into them. Bring silo's if you have any, it works well. Flag also. If you have the ability (4X4) you can go out towards "pintail" and really get into them out that direction, but the road (trail) is sort of ugly in spots. Where ever you go, watch the birds. They establish flyways, and use spots in the tundra that you can set up on. If the wind changes though, so do they. I've never had a problem getting limits out there, just tons of geese. Watch for bears, been charged twice over the years. Carry slugs / buckshot in your gun walking out to your hunting area. We'll be out the last week of October for work, but gun will be going for after work activities...

NDH, send me an email at bkrautler@hotmail.com. I'm on a ship and hoping to end up in cold bay in the next few weeks. If the timing works out, I'd love to meet up for a day hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast