Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E- Collar

Default E- Collar

I'm looking to buy a ecollar for my dog. I will be using it for duck hunting
    What I'm looking for is a simple but good collar. Also one that won't break the. Bank
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Tritronic Flyway G3.. i am very pleased with this collar the pro series are great and have more bells and whistles but the flyway works for me I definitely recommend tritronic the ease of operation is worth the money. i had a dogtra and although a good collar i missed opportunities to correct messing with the level knob.

Tri-Tronics Sport Basic G3. I was (am) new to gun dog training, too. I bought mine about a year ago, after using a fancier version out at Baron's (Wetland Retrievers). This is a solid, easy-to-use, and durable unit. It uses a quick, rotary dial to adjust intensity in 10 increments (1-5 with 1/2 steps). I'm still on the original 9v battery in the controller. I charge the receiver unit on Friday, take it to the cabin, and use it all weekend. Made in USA, too. (The Dogtra products are made "elsewhere.") I bought mine at the Sportsman's in Anchorage, when Cabela's was doing a free shipping offer, and, with some cajoling, got the manager at Sportsman's to price match Cabela's. (Not their standard operating procedure, sadly.)

$239.99 at Cabela's
    $219.97 at Bass Pro (Be careful. Bass Pro ships USPS Parcel Post; it takes about 3 weeks, but it's cheap shipping usually.)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tri-T...h-All+Products

http://www.basspro.com/TriTronics-Sp...product/91427/

You can buy cheaper than Tri-Tronics but you cannot buy better.

Every dog trainer in the Southeastern US (professional, plantation, and amateur) uses Tri-Tronics. A few
    have tried one of the new products and within a month are back to the old reliable. The other brands have
    proven they will not hold up.

A cheaper price is much higher if what you buy will not perform properly.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

DT systems. Tough, reliable, simple. I like the vibrate function on mine. George Hickox uses them, and so does Chad Hine of Willow Creek. Not as big as some of the other companies, but they are easy to get ahold of (Sportsmans has them), and have great customer service. Just another option.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I use a DT Systems 1820+H2O on 2 dogs and I like it. If I replace it I will go with a Tri-tronics Pro 100. Duckdon

Tritronics Sports Basic or Sport Combo.
    Has all that is needed for "field" situations.
    Use the collar to reinforce known commands. Don't teach with it. Remember Duke can be sensitive to too much pressure. Especially when he doesn't know what you are asking of him.

Thanks everyone!!! You made it a wwhole lot easier to choose a collar
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm a dye-in-the-wool Tri-Tronics user. Been using them for some 15 years or so, never a problem. Large company that will be there when you need them.

Just my two cents.

Jim

I will second this..all we used when training labs. Outstanding customer service and when they get outdated you can trade up on another style. Great product in all weather conditions. Making sure you and your dog get the easiest and most reliable equipment out there.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    You can buy cheaper than Tri-Tronics but you cannot buy better.

Every dog trainer in the Southeastern US (professional, plantation, and amateur) uses Tri-Tronics. A few
    have tried one of the new products and within a month are back to the old reliable. The other brands have
    proven they will not hold up.

A cheaper price is much higher if what you buy will not perform properly.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

One more vote for Tri-tronics...reliable, great customer service, options and incentives to trade in on upgrades, several models to choose from.

I know they recently merged with Garmin and hope that does not negatively effect any product or service...

Default E- Collar

I have a tri-tronics sport upland G3 un-used in the packaging. Send me a PM if you want to make an offer.
    Tyler
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is between the Sport Basic and the Upland.

Tritronics or Dogtra, but I like the Dogtra I've had for about 12 years better (holds a charge & like the rheostat dial to adjust intensity). BUT -- folks need to condition on known commands, not teach, their dogs with an e-collar & stop using it as a "quick fix" or crutch. It's just another tool for the training bag, not a cure-all, and you can really ruin a good dog fast by using the e-collar wrong.

I couldn't agree more with what 3CBRS said. E-collar conditiong is very important. It's not all that hard to accomplish, but it is a serious undertaking and we owe our dogs the care and respect of doing it right. And a little "stimulation" goes a long way. All the yard work first to teach the dog commands, and then move forward with the e-collar. If you're not sure you can do it on your own, hire a professional trainer.

Jim

Default E- Collar

Which is why mine is still in the packaging...didn't trust myself to use it right.

Please do yourself and your dog a favor and work with a pro first if you have never used one. I have always used tritronics, but I have heard decent things about the Cabelas brand. Not bad for the price.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    I have a tri-tronics sport upland G3 un-used in the packaging. Send me a PM if you want to make an offer.
    Tyler
    Gary, I've been using this one since 2006. Flawless performance, and can control up to the collars, which I needed.

My wife bought me a tri tronics Sport. I used it and love it. It took two hits and now I havent had to repeat a command to him anymore.
    I noticed he now knows when he has the collar on. He is so different with it on....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Lots of dogs figure out when the collar is on or not. To fix that, buy a dummy collar and leave it on him
    all the time. Or do it my way (cheap) and just tape a D cell battery to his collar. Either way you will
    keep him guessing.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast