Thread: Horse ride with guns turns into moose hunt

Default Horse ride with guns turns into moose hunt

Another horse hunting adventure with Mal. Went out with the intention of checking on a few areas that Iíve hunted in past years to see if any activity or signs of activity were present. We were actually intending to hunt the area after the weekend, with the forecast being what it was, and just use the weekend as a horse riding/camping trip with guns. Turned into a moose hunt pretty fast. Long story short, we were alerted that a moose was in the area by our dog who was running the trail ahead of us. She got pretty spooky and started growling checking the wind. We had been seeing some pretty fresh rubbed willows and found a wallow in the area, so I sort of suspected she smelled a moose, not a bear. Did a few soft grunts, still on the horse, and waited for about a minute, then figured what the heck, continue riding the trail. I came around a group of small spruce and seen a bull standing on the trail about 60 yards up front, staring at us. I bailed off the horse, and told Mal to get the rifle (she had my 300 on her horse, I keep a 45-70 on mine just in case). She got the case unbuckled and unzipped and I grabbed the rifle out. Turned around and seen the scared dog chasing the moose away! At about 150 yards , she decided far enough and turned around and came back to us. The bull stopped and turned broadside at about 200 yards. I got prone, put the scope on him and easily spotted the 3 brow tines and said, good enough for me. One shot and down he went. Then the work started. This was the first moose that Mal had seen up close, and got to experience the work of taking one apart. After a few hours, we were loaded up and headed back to camp. Packed it out later that day and ate some good pizza to celebrate. Chalk it up to another year of being in the right place at the right time.

Man, I can't tell you how much my wife and I enjoy reading your stories about hunting with your daughter. Congratulations, and once again, thanks for sharing!

Very nice story and conclusion to your hunt. Congrats.

Dang, right on! After running into you guys on the caribou hunt last year, I've really enjoyed following your father/daughter adventures. Congrats on a great 'hunt' and in nurturing a great hunting partner!

Dude that is awesome! My wife and I were about a mile and half from the head of the trail when we heard a shot. So glad you were able to get your bull! Looking forward to getting another shot at her cow tag this next week. Nice to see you again on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    Dude that is awesome! My wife and I were about a mile and half from the head of the trail when we heard a shot. So glad you were able to get your bull! Looking forward to getting another shot at her cow tag this next week. Nice to see you again on the trail!
    Keep on it. I ran into a cow on our way out with camp on Sunday. It crossed where we seen you on our way back in. Seen tracks on the trail a bit farther in also. Good luck to you guys, it was nice talking with you.

Good Story - awesome pics! thx for sharing...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great story, and the pics,.... some of the best I've seen,....

seriously liking the Horseback Packing method of Moose Extraction

Thanks for the post, and Congrats on the Father/Daughter,.... Memories made
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You're killing me! Every time my wife reads a post like this she prints it off and puts it on the dinner table to show me "how bad we need horses." Nice work tho!

Great adventure.

Did you pack the hay the horse is eating in the bottom picture?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

beutiful bull! I just got back from my daughters first hunt (caribou) and it was a blast. Cool to see your taking your girl out!

Not that it matters he has 3 beautiful brow tines but how wide was he? Looks like 50"?

Default Horse ride with guns turns into moose hunt

Heck of a trip. Thanks for sharing the great photos, and what a handsome animal you harvested!

Nothing like a walk (or horse ride) with a rifle spoiled by a legal moose!

Nicely done, love the recollections of the adventures you share with your daughter !

Perhaps you could post a frontal view of the antlers for some armchair guesstimating on the width then post the measured spread later on ? I see a couple of features that may "muddy" the judging.

We did pack in the hay. I packed in enough hay and grain to give us a good week. Will have to go back in to pack the feed back out, but no hurry.

I'll post a frontal of the antlers, I actually dont know the width either, I just look for brow tines to make the call (unless he's just that big).

Well done. Growing up on a working ranch and using horses most of my youth, I have always wanted to do a horseback hunt--but never have. I always think of a Colorado elk hunt or the like, but your post reminds that I need not go so far. Awesome hunt, congrats.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Now that looks like a fun way to hunt! Good job rounding up that bull and your daughter sure seems to be enjoying the time outdoors with dad.