Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rescue call: What would you do?

Default Rescue call: What would you do?

You just drove 200 miles from the big city to get home and have settled in for the night checking emails. At 2043 you receive a broken phone call. A friend of a friend, his girlfriend, and an older gentleman have their rig buried in a floating bog in the hills above snow level. They have been working unsuccessfully for several hours to extricate the rig with no luck. Now they are tired, cold, wet and the older gentleman has a hurt knee and sore back. The mixed rain and snow has now turned to heavy snow and the wind is blowing. Your rig is in pieces waiting for time to do repairs. You have GPS coordinates of their location. They are 15 trail miles off the highway and 9 miles from their campsite. What is your next move?

DaggaBoyAK

I'm not sure what to do or who to call.
    Considering the rapidly degrading circumstances as you have described them, would it be wrong to call state troopers and to consider this a rescue situation?
    And if you did, could they be of assistance?
    But with the situation you described, it sounds as if you are not in the loop to directly assist them.

Consider what NFL football team they support, or despise prior to making your decision. (LOL)

(mod elan, nice avatar-picture-ram)

Default request an AWT flyover

Easy. Just call AWT and tell them you have no absolute proof that their lives are in danger right now, but that you think they are in trouble. And would AWT please schedule a flyover to check?

If you follow my advice, post on here what AWT says. My bet is that they'll thank you for the info and tell you when they think they can fly over.

I know of no downside in calling AWT with info like this. I have, and it was welcomed and acted upon by them.

No people it isn't me he is talking about so move on and answer his question...

I would encourage them to provide a set time for the next status update communication while I went to work finding a way to help them. Then I start hitting the phone tree looking for a vehicle to borrow or someone who is reasonably close and can make the run in to assist them. With a good trail and a solid location then getting to them at night may be possible. Air support would likely be stuck till morning given the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    You just drove 200 miles from the big city to get home and have settled in for the night checking emails. At 2043 you receive a broken phone call. A friend of a friend, his girlfriend, and an older gentleman have their rig buried in a floating bog in the hills above snow level. They have been working unsuccessfully for several hours to extricate the rig with no luck. Now they are tired, cold, wet and the older gentleman has a hurt knee and sore back. The mixed rain and snow has now turned to heavy snow and the wind is blowing. Your rig is in pieces waiting for time to do repairs. You have GPS coordinates of their location. They are 15 trail miles off the highway and 9 miles from their campsite. What is your next move?

Find a buddy or two with working rigs, load up some recovery gear and warm clothes/food/etc., and hit the bricks. Even if it isn't necessary and they're out before you get there, consider living with the alternative. Hopefully, if they got out they'd be able to get a message to you informing you of such. I'd plan on heading that way to help out, hoping that if I found myself in a similar situation, the people I called would act accordingly.

I'd be calling some friends and on my way, ask them what kind of gear they have on them so you know how bad it is, if they can spend night or not, cuz they probably are anyway.

For one state troopers were not going to do a flyover in unit 13 on satruday or sunday the weather was horrible but hey nice thought though. I would be on the road with my equipement and other folks to go along and go get them.

Here is something to remember when in such a situation you need to stop collect your thoughts asses the situation. If the machine is stuck its stuck grab neccessary gear to get you back to camp. Also carry necessary gear to get you through the night... Mathces. firestarter, tarp or poncho... I always have a back pack in my ranger with dry clothes and extra raingear as well.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Waaaaay to open ended of a scenario. What are they planning to do? Is the rig self contained/have an enclosed shelter? Are there other camps around? What kind of gear do they have with them?

If we get to make up the answers to these questions (and more) then we should see some pretty interesting responses.

In any case, since it is a friend of a friend...contact said friend and put the onus on them.

Default Rescue call: What would you do?

I told the wife if anything like this happens to me just to post up a message on AOD. I figure a bunch of folks will roll out, if not to help at least to take pictures to post up here later. I suspect I could convince at least one of them to take pitty on me and either help unstick the rig or give me a lift out.

Sorry, I need to give more specific info. 12 trail miles + 3 more miles cross country. Not really any survival gear that would help. Everything to start a fire but nothing to burn. No 323, burning the rig is not an option. Friend is in the sand box. No one available to help go after them.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sorry, I need to give more specific info. 12 trail miles + 3 more miles cross country. Not really any survival gear that would help. Everything to start a fire but nothing to burn. No 323, burning the rig is not an option.
    Wish them the best of luck and tell them to call in the morning with an update.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    For one state troopers were not going to do a flyover in unit 13 on satruday or sunday the weather was horrible but hey nice thought though.
    A nice thought? Huh?

I'm sure as heck not going to second guess the weather, AWT's flying abilities/judgement, or some such when hunters afield might be at risk. AWT actually does know to pay attention to those things themselves without me running cover for them, and from my experience, they appreciate being in the loop early rather than later when things might hit the fan.

Also, right here, right this second, its beautiful flying weather. Right now might be the only window that AWT might have to flyover, before this next big storm hits soon.

Just 24 hours from now, it is very likely that their weather out there will get really dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    A nice thought? Huh?

I'm sure as heck not going to second guess the weather, AWT's flying abilities/judgement, or some such when hunters afield might be at risk. AWT actually does know to pay attention to those things themselves without me running cover for them, and from my experience, they appreciate being in the loop early rather than later when things might hit the fan.

Also, right here, right this second, its beautiful flying weather. Right now might be the only window that AWT might have to flyover, before this next big storm hits soon.
    Dude have a coke and icecream and have a nice day... I know of this situation and when it happened this weekend in unit 13 the weather was bad. I give two ****s what the weather is like today in wasilla!

Sorry, I need to give more specific info. 12 trail miles + 3 more miles cross country. Not really any survival gear that would help. Everything to start a fire but nothing to burn. No 323, burning the rig is not an option. Friend is in the sand box. No one available to help go after them.
    Oh huh I would of found something to burn with enough gas something will burn! I imagine the wind gusts were pretty bad up in the area as well....

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Dude have a coke and icecream and have a nice day... I know of this situation and when it happened this weekend in unit 13 the weather was bad. I give two ****s what the weather is like today in wasilla!
    You'll have to finish your pissing match without me - I won't play. And I obviously was not talking to you anyway. I was encouraging mod elan to make the call and let AWT help as THEY best see fit. G'day 323.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You'll have to finish your pissing match without me - I won't play. And I obviously was not talking to you anyway. I was encouraging mod elan to make the call and let AWT help as THEY best see fit. G'day 323.
    Ok have a great day as well...

Simmer down you two. A call to AWT would be fine. They in turn may make a decision to have a blackhawk come in to help if the weather was too much for them to fly. I also know to expect at least a 4 hour response time when calling for help.

Rally some troops and go in and get 'em.

There is a special kind of karma for trail rescue...cause we'll all need one eventually.

If it's super life or death critical the Troopers might have the Pave Low go get them. Saw that once...amazing it can fly in such crappy weather.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I need to have a better understanding of their situation, what equipment they currently had with them, what their experience level was, etc to make a proper and well educated decision.

If there was nobody else near them that could assist them and the weather was rapidly deteriorating, and they had no survival gear, and were in an open vehicle I would do what I could to go assist them as fast as I possibly could go. Wait a minute I think I got a call similar to this one last year while watching my kids cheerleading. Lets see what was that call again, "I am borrowing a sat phone and am broke down 33 miles back in can you come get me?" Pretty sure it was something along those lines. The current rescue vehicle was broke and had a pile of parts sitting in the garage for it. Yep went home and started working and made some phone calls to find a partner in crime. I like to think karma comes back to help you out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast