Thread: Rigs for the .500 S&W 4"

Default Rigs for the .500 S&W 4"

Just curious what most folks packing the beast are using for carry rigs?

I'm still trying to decide myself.

sal

Take a look at Dan's holsters . They are Alaskan made .
    He will make them to your liking .
    WWW.ALASKANSPORTSMANPRODUCTS.COM
    RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Slight correction to the URL posted above -

it should be http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

DaveS
    Juneau

I have that exact holster for my 500 mag. I bought it because I have the same holster for my 44 mag and have been very pleased with it. They're perfect for the wading fisherman.

Default Perfect!

Thats what I'm lookin for...and made here in Alaska. Thanks Guys!

I carry a 4" S&W .500 as a side-arm during moose season, or when hiking/camping, and I've always/mostly been partial to a horizontal-carry (butt-down-slightly-and-forward, muzzle-pointed-back-under-the-arm-pit) cross-draw shoulder rig.... for just about every handgun I own.. Though it can make the folks behind you whince a bit if you're carrying a round in the charging hole immediately in front of the hammer.... ;^>)

I had a custom harness mated to what was originally a questionably-designed leather thumb-break holster I ordered on-line (mistake), with a trigger-guard tensioning screw (most functional aspect of the original holster, and highly recommended), and an ammo panel made up for the other side of the harness that holds two sewn-flush, rugged leather pouches holding 10 rds each (20 total) of my 440 grain hard-cast thumpers from Cor-Bon.

The ammo panel acts as counter-ballance as much as anything, as even the 4" is a relatively weighty beast.

(And, in reality, if you can successfully reload a revolver during a full-on, close-range, bear charge, then I wanna' see it, 'cause I don't personally believe that to be a commonly executed feat. ;^>) Even with a speed-loader, which, the last I checked, weren't being made a year or two ago for this gun. Though they might be now.)

The two ammo pouches are sewn with a slight cant backward at the top, achieving a slight, relaxed diagonal position, to better facilitate opening them with the opposing hand, and in such a way as to not have the cartridges fall out when opening them (they close with several heavy brass snaps).

Inside the harness straps is 3-4 oz. suede for comfort, laminated/glued -and- double-stitched to 3-4 oz. cow hyde on the outside of the same straps, and with the straps of the harness cut wide at the top of the shoulder/collar bone area (to alleviate any serious biting into my shoulders over a long 12-14 hr, day).

There's a rather 'tough' rectangular patch of leather (thicker, perhaps 8 oz. steer hyde) measuring about 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" between my shoulder blades, and the four straps (2 front and 2 rear) held to each corner of this by brass chicago screws with loc-tite. Similar in design to a Jack-Ass holster and harness of similar style, as far as strap location and attachment is concerned

Very comfortable, and actually makes the beast concealable as well.

I found a very generous, reasonable, and skilled leather craftsman in the Wasilla area to 'fix' the deficiencies in the over-priced mail-ordered thumb-break holster (right off the bat...), and to make the other components.

The thumb break was too long originally (lending it to unsnapping when it shouldn't by rubbing against the inside of my coat/shirt/etc.), with the two halves of the snap poorly set (amongst other deficiencies originally built in by a company I can advise you to avoid, but which was one of the few making even a half-decent holster for this gun, in this style of holster. If you're interested in which company this was, PM me.).

The thumb break was properly shortened by the leather smith in Wasilla, and reinforced, with the previously-defective thumb break portion of the leather removed, and doubled in thickness for stiffness (as it's necessary in a functional thumb break), then 'skyved'/'skived' into place with stitching and leather cement, with the snap halves re-set..

BEAUTIFUL fix to a miserable factory job. The holster now functions the way that it should; flawlessly.

I've had no complaints, and this harness hasn't ever gotten in the way of my pack straps or shouldering a long-arm. And it rides nicely under my jacket/rain coat/parka when I'm hunting, or riding a 4-whlr to my tree stand.

ruffle

www.wwlholsters.com

Most versitile holster I have seen. They also have a chest carry which is nice when you carry a backpack, or chest high waders.