Thread: Seward charters

Default Seward charters

Sounds to me from all of the posts here that the better charters out of Seward are for the most part booked year-in-year-out?

If so has this always been the case? Short season bodes well for bookings obviously but I didn't think that AK was so immune from economic woes?

In the downturn a couple of years back, all the better boats stayed busy. They didn't have as many advance bookings, but the walk-ins seemed to make up for it. Clients can see who is bringing in the fish and talk to the owners and crew. In an era when folks have to make the most out of their dollars, it's an even greater opportunity for the good outfits to shine and make a living, while the marginal operators whine and fuss. Once the money eases up a bit, folks remember who provided the best value for their dollar, and they're quick to book ahead with the good ones, while the marginal operators continue to whine and fuss about "the economy." Easy excuse for the penalty they're paying for bum service, but it doesn't change the fact that the good operators are doing just fine.

Well said!

The number of people in trhe shoulder seasons has declined, so some of us have turned to commercial fishing, research contracts, or spring bear hunts to fill out the shoulders.

Well explained brown bear. If we were in the middle of fishing season in AK would a walk-on have a chance with the better outfits or are their bookings a pretty reliable group?

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    Sounds to me from all of the posts here that the better charters out of Seward are for the most part booked year-in-year-out?

If so has this always been the case? Short season bodes well for bookings obviously but I didn't think that AK was so immune from economic woes?
    Everyone has been hit by the economy. The really good charter operators in Seward that do a good job for their clients get booked first. If you are wanting to book in the prime season of mid June- mid August you should try to book a year out. It helps you get your preferred date in the calendar and it helps the charter operators know what their upcoming season looks like.