Thread: Sunday, Sept 16 Palmer report

Default Sunday, Sept 16 Palmer report

I wasn't there, how did everybody do in the wind today. Bud
    Wasilla

Killed 24 today, with DucksandDogs, and his buddy. Wasn't hot action, but steady. We were done by 12. We almost got a crane too, but everything didn't quite work out, and he flew off. All in all it was a great day.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Had a great time! The buddy that hunted with us was The Kid on here. Definitely gonna sleep well tonight!

So thats who was shooting. My brother and I just walked the creek and hit up some of the marsh on the parking lot side of the creek. We shot at about 15 but only brought down 2 ducks and if we were only 20 yards closer we would have had a shot at a canada. We did try out decoys for the first time along with calling but by the time the ducks saw our decoys it was too late and the wind would push then way out of range. I may also be the worst duck caller in history too. But all in all it was a fun hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    So thats who was shooting. My brother and I just walked the creek and hit up some of the marsh on the parking lot side of the creek. We shot at about 15 but only brought down 2 ducks and if we were only 20 yards closer we would have had a shot at a canada. We did try out decoys for the first time along with calling but by the time the ducks saw our decoys it was too late and the wind would push then way out of range. I may also be the worst duck caller in history too. But all in all it was a fun hunt.

Some shot more than others I brought 28 shells and left with none.

haha nice. You guys definitely sent quite a few birds our way! Thanks a lot!

It was a little slow for me but I eventually got my 8 birds. Wound up with 8 mallards, 3 nice drakes and 5 hens.. Going on 30 hours with no sleep, I wouldn't have missed todays shoot for anything! Took almost 3 1/2 hours to walk back to the car... yuck.

Nice shooting! Seemed to take me longer to walk out too, I was going on 4 hours of sleep for the whole weekend. And I woke up 30 min late this morning, so had no time to eat anything. I think I was going on 12 hours with nothing to eat but a piece of jerky that the kid gave me. Pretty sure that combination of things, plus the walk in and out yesterday was kicking my butt on the walk back to the parking lot today. I would do it all over again tomorrow if I didn't have to work though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Sounds like y'all are still puttin' the smack down. Don't forget to post some pics for those of us that can't get out yet!

NO S&&t!!!

Quote Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter View Post
    Sounds like y'all are still puttin' the smack down. Don't forget to post some pics for those of us that can't get out yet!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    NO S&&t!!!

There are only pictures of meat, now. Yesterday wasn't great day for picture taking. When the shooting was over, the only thing left on the brain was the walk out and food. It was raining and windy and packs had gotten heavier, you know, duck hunting!

Yes... I know the pain, pleasure and gain.

Keep it up..many of us are living through you guys out there busting some feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    There are only pictures of meat, now. Yesterday wasn't great day for picture taking. When the shooting was over, the only thing left on the brain was the walk out and food. It was raining and windy and packs had gotten heavier, you know, duck hunting!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sept 16 2012 Mallard Drake.jpgSept. 16 Mallards.jpg
    I had to take a picture of that one drake before I stuffed it into my backpack- its the best one I've got this year so far! When I was about an hour into my hike back to my car I decided that my backpack was WAY too fricken heavy so I dressed down all my birds (leaving 1 wing attached of course). That lightened up the load considerably. When I got home and finished cutting the breasts off the bones and vacuum packed the meat, the packaged weighed 4.4lbs, my average 8 bird limit weight of total meat has been around 2-3lbs depending on how many teal and spoonies were in it. Who needs to go moose hunting?! I've got about 20lbs of duck breasts saved up so far... I think I'm going to make a bunch of pepperoni sticks and other sausage type stuff. I'll probably end the season with around 50lbs of duck meat.

I will say this about this year, this will be by far one of my best years ever in my 20 years of duck hunting. The maud lake complex not holding as many birds and the combination of the cottonwood creek bridge closure has made it to where you can get into some shooting you would only see on TV shows if you are willing to put some serious sweat and sore muscles into it (Note- it took my 3.5 hours to walk back to the car yesterday). I think this is purely based on the amount of pressure the birds are receiving this year (almost non-existent in some areas). Shoot straight everyone, try something new, and keep putting those birds down before all them lower 48 yahoos get them!

Nice AK!!! Can't wait to get back. Only got bout 3 weeks til I am there.